FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the grand total for my trip came in at a little under 3200 miles. You learn quite a few things on a trip like that. Primarily you learn what mods you love/need on your bike, and what mods you dislike/can do without. In my case I learned that even my quiet and elegant Delkevic carbon 18’s are too loud for me by the end of a 300-400 mile day. Granted i work with my ears, so I’m much more paranoid about their safety than the average human…but even still…my wonderful stock pipes are currently back on the bike now. Leaving my k&n as only powertrain based notification left on the bike🤦🏻‍♂️. The previous owner had it decked out with external accessories and ready for touring…. Turns out i went full circle trying to make it like a big hayabusa and back again to where it shines, as a proud and capable all around cruise missile. This may be good for someone else on here, as i might be putting them up for sale…gotta give it more thought.

Also never ever take off the annoying handlebar strap attached to your disc lock, thinking its just extra and annoying…its neither…leave it be😆

·
Registered
7,329 Posts
Also never ever take off the annoying handlebar strap attached to your disc lock, thinking its just extra and annoying…its neither…leave it be😆
Good advice.

You say you work with your ears... do you wear good ear protection? Since I started using Howard Leight Max soft foam earplugs while I ride... I honestly don't like to ride anywhere without them. All of the unpleasant sounds of wind and traffic are a whisper and I have no ear fatigue after a 500 mile day.

I only ride enduro without hearing protection because I can sense the makeup of the terrain from the crunch under the knobbies. But street and track are with earplugs.

Reactions: Mopheadama

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good advice.

You say you work with your ears... do you wear good ear protection? Since I started using Howard Leight Max soft foam earplugs while I ride... I honestly don't like to ride anywhere without them. All of the unpleasant sounds of wind and traffic are a whisper and I have no ear fatigue after a 500 mile day.

I only ride enduro without hearing protection because I can sense the makeup of the terrain from the crunch under the knobbies. But street and track are with earplugs.
Yeah i usually wear Hearos Xtreme. The blue ones with the max -33db reduction. I’ve looked into some of the $25 “fit them at home” custom ones. I might get a pair…I’ll look into those Howards👍🏼

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,165 Posts
Hmmm Delks usually tamer than most .....are the baffles in?

I like the stock pipes too, preferred.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm Delks usually tamer than most .....are the baffles in?

I like the stock pipes too, preferred.
Yessir, baffles in. They are pretty tame as far as aftermarket exhaust…. Its just after some miles, that mostly under 4k drone starts to cut into my soul. I’m sure it wouldn’t bother others though. One thing I always forget when it comes to bike pipes, is that what you are hearing is actually 25-30db quieter than how loud the exhaust actually is when you’re wearing plugs. If it’s loud with plugs and helmet on, it’s likely real loud outside😆

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,724 Posts
Yessir, baffles in. They are pretty tame as far as aftermarket exhaust…. Its just after some miles, that mostly under 4k drone starts to cut into my soul. I’m sure it wouldn’t bother others though. One thing I always forget when it comes to bike pipes, is that what you are hearing is actually 25-30db quieter than how loud the exhaust actually is when you’re wearing plugs. If it’s loud with plugs and helmet on, it’s likely real loud outside😆
Ditto. With my foam earbuds in and the music turned down low the Delks actually sound quite tame. But it is impossible for me to ride that bike without some sort of hearing protection, the exhaust noise is quite painful. Physically painful I mean, it actually hurts! No thanks, I'll keep the '13 stock.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ditto. With my foam earbuds in and the music turned down low the Delks actually sound quite tame. But it is impossible for me to ride that bike without some sort of hearing protection, the exhaust noise is quite painful. Physically painful I mean, it actually hurts! No thanks, I'll keep the '13 stock.
Yeah. Day 2 going north after 488 miles (over 100 more than i really wanted to ride) i finally find a lovely hotel next door to a truck stop in northwestern Maryland right on the border of Penn. I didn’t realize i was in Maryland till after my lovely Subway dinner in the truckstop…. When i went to buy myself a nice 24oz beer and saw that there were no alcoholic beverages in the coolers🥴. Lady mentioned there was an ABC store about 4 miles away, and the thought of mounting up again with the gear and noise etc… even for that distance was so horrifying i just went dry that night😆.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,057 Posts
Subway sells beer?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Subway sells beer?
Baha…when it’s attached to a Love’s truckstop it does. That was tied with one hotel in Pennsylvania on the way back for seediest lodging on the trip😆. I’m not a big fan of Pennsylvania southern and central, turns out..lol. The northeastern valley farm country part of Penn makes up for it.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
The last aftermarket pipe I had was a Vance and Hines on my 83 GS 1100E Suzuki. Listening to that drone for hours was enough to put me off aftermarket pipes for the rest of my life. Of course that was without ear plugs, but I hate noise in general. One reason I've shot bows since I was a kid and not guns.

I actually think my new NC 750X is too loud with the stock pipe lol. I think early Goldwing's sound good.

Never had a disc lock but my brother did, pre annoying handlebar warning straps. Came out of a cafe' one night, jumped on his 900 Kawasaki and made it about 3 feet before dumping it and breaking his leg.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The last aftermarket pipe I had was a Vance and Hines on my 83 GS 1100E Suzuki. Listening to that drone for hours was enough to put me off aftermarket pipes for the rest of my life. Of course that was without ear plugs, but I hate noise in general. One reason I've shot bows since I was a kid and not guns.

I actually think my new NC 750X is too loud with the stock pipe lol. I think early Goldwing's sound good.

Never had a disc lock but my brother did, pre annoying handlebar warning straps. Came out of a cafe' one night, jumped on his 900 Kawasaki and made it about 3 feet before dumping it and breaking his leg.
Indeed. the loud pipe on my VFR doesnt bother me much…for some reason the v4 doesn’t drone unless you use a stubby 9 inch pipe. But that big 1.3 liter inline on the FJR sure does.

Mine was not quite so tragic. I made it about 6 inches and all of a sudden my bike was on its side under my feet and i thought “DISC LOCK, DUMMY!!” I blame the friendly guy on a full dressed Harley next door to me at the motel who started talking to me about bikes right as i was taking the cover off etc. Good conversation but just enough distraction necessary for me to forget. Tested out my canyon cages…they work! And because of my TRex pegs, they bought me another 2 inches of space off the ground. Only thing plastic was the mirror end before it folded kissed the ground. I need to order some touchup paint for that. If that were at home I would have been mortified, but on a trip like that if you’re ok and you barely touched plastic.. that’s a win😆

·
Super Moderator
3,931 Posts
Well, the grand total for my trip came in at a little under 3200 miles. You learn quite a few things on a trip like that. Primarily you learn what mods you love/need on your bike, and what mods you dislike/can do without. In my case I learned that even my quiet and elegant Delkevic carbon 18’s are too loud for me by the end of a 300-400 mile day.
ear plugs - regardless of the exhaust system.

But your point makes the case for not modding your bike based on other's suggestions until you put the miles on the bike to find out what YOU need.

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
818 Posts
Pshaah, leave the scar, on the mirror. Badge of courage!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have a ZRX with a Muzzy Meg and a ZX14 with a full Leo Vince so the FJR stays stock except for comfy features. I ride with earplugs or music but the 2 Kawasaki's are still loud.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts