FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally!

I find, Delkevic exhaust sound quality to be better than the OEM. Many might say 2 bros etc... Yes, they are all good and it would be an individual's choice to decide which one is better.

These are the Steps I took in the process

1. Get set, Get tools that you need.
2. Remove OEM exhaust carefully by removing 2 bolts
3. Remove OEM Muffler Gasket and clean the pipe part where it was attached. I used saw blade and cleaned it nicely
4. attach third party muffler and see the orientation
5. use blue lock nut from Loctite on the bolts where the muffler is getting attached
6. do not use the muffler glue, muffler gets hot anyway and the muffler gasket will take care of everything once it expands after a ride

Everything took about 40 min

Went for a ride with no baffles. sound is louder and deeper than factory but not too loud to wake up neighbors.

here is what i installed

http://www.delkevic.us/?section=sho...t_350mm&variant=yamaha_fjr1300_2006-2012-3006

youtube videos won't make any justice, please do not buy product looking at video. Sound quality of youtube and the real life is night and day!

S

·
Registered
789 Posts
Finally!

I find, Delkevic exhaust sound quality to be better than the OEM. Many might say 2 bros etc... Yes, they are all good and it would be an individual's choice to decide which one is better.

3. Remove OEM Muffler Gasket and clean the pipe part where it was attached. I used saw blade and cleaned it nicely
5. use blue lock nut from Loctite on the bolts where the muffler is getting attached
6. do not use the muffler glue, muffler gets hot anyway and the muffler gasket will take care of everything once it expands after a ride

Went for a ride with no baffles. sound is louder and deeper than factory but not too loud to wake up neighbors.

here is what i installed

http://www.delkevic.us/?section=sho...t_350mm&variant=yamaha_fjr1300_2006-2012-3006

youtube videos won't make any justice, please do not buy product looking at video. Sound quality of youtube and the real life is night and day!

S
That is the same set I have had on my ES since last December! Great exhausts. I may be selling mine soon since I found a good deal on a set of Two Bros Carbon Fiber. I want to compare them and will keep the one I like the best! 8)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I would like to swap mine out but am worried about them being too loud. When you are cruising at 75 or 80 can you hear them?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Best, while you may not want to use it on the front end where Delkevic includes two gaskets in their kits, the tube of gasket material that they throw in the box should be used where the cans mount to the back end of the pipes. Even with the clamps fully tightened, the exhaust often leaks at that connection.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am going to wait for a week for pipes to settle with heat / cold. let's see how it behaves after a week.

Best, while you may not want to use it on the front end where Delkevic includes two gaskets in their kits, the tube of gasket material that they throw in the box should be used where the cans mount to the back end of the pipes. Even with the clamps fully tightened, the exhaust often leaks at that connection.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I would like to swap mine out but am worried about them being too loud. When you are cruising at 75 or 80 can you hear them?
I ride with the baffles in and they are barely louder than stock but have a deeper, throaty sound. At speed, you can't really tell they are not oem. If you take the baffles out, the volume increases a bit, at acceleration they are noticeable, at cruising not really different.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I found that after installing mine on my 06 that they were too loud without the baffles, but that's just me. One thing that worries me though, I'd that it pops quite a bit on deceleration. Is this normal? My bike is all stock, do I need a power commander?
Mike. With the baffles in though, they sound great, almost like a piped R1, imo.
Mike

·
Registered
789 Posts
I found that after installing mine on my 06 that they were too loud without the baffles, but that's just me. One thing that worries me though, I'd that it pops quite a bit on deceleration. Is this normal? My bike is all stock, do I need a power commander?
Mike. With the baffles in though, they sound great, almost like a piped R1, imo.
Mike
To eliminate the popping sounds on deceleration just remove the PAIR houses on top of the engine and cap off the exposed ports. Here is a guide from the other forum: http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//inde...air-induction-system/page-1?hl=+pair +removal

·
Registered
789 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Do you have any pictures? I also wonder if the pipes are closer to the side bags than stock? Got any pics how they look like from the sides and from the back (with the side bags on)?
Thanks!
-mike

·
Registered
271 Posts
Finally!

here is what i installed

S
Where did you order yours? Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Very Happy with Delkevic!

I installed a set of 14" oval stainless Delkevics on my '13 and put 200 miles on my motorcycle yesterday. Love them! I was a little hesitant to pull the trigger without hearing them first, but thanks to numerous postings here and some YouTube videos, it seemed like a safe bet. Especially with the price tag of only $360! (No $2000 Akrapovics for me!) It was about a 45 minute job that would have gone a lot quicker if I had an extra pair of hands. The hanging strap did not mount to the inside, where the stock muffler mounted, as the Delkevics would have been directly above the swingarm, so I mounted them just inside my bag guards. I used exhaust sealer as recommended, but had to run out to the parts store for it. I actually read the Delkevic paperwork, which stated "exhaust sealer included". They lied! At this point they're still hanging a bit cockeyed, but that will be an easy fix.
Baffles in, they are just the sound I was looking for: a lower note, and a bit louder, (let's say NOTICEABLY louder), than stock, but not noisy in the least.
Baffles out they sound great as well. To **** with the neighbors!;-)
Oh...and they LOOK good, too!

Attachments

Reactions: Andrey I.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Based on this write up, I've just ordered a set of 14" carbon ovals from Delkevic and they are being delivered tomorrow. Should look good on a black bike.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I really like the look of their 8" short ones. Does the shorter ones sound louder? I like to have a sound that's as quiet (or almost as quiet) as the stock, if possible.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The 8" ones are going to be WAY louder than stock. I'm sure of it, though I have never heard them.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts