FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
your expert opinions please, which one would you go for?

53 plate, 15000 miles, alarm,side cases, top box, heated grips, big screen £6500, private sale

or

02 plate, 4800 genuine miles, alarm, side cases, 4 months warranty, next service free, £6000, dealer.

both could be haggled, I need help(the wifes being saying that for years)

·
Registered
721 Posts
If you want the topbox heated grips and big screen (is that a 32" plasma by the way? :lol:) then you can do all that for less than the £500 and the money you'll save on the 6000 mile service and you'll still have the warrnty to fall back on if owt goes wrong in the next 4 months.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Couple of things to consider:

How long is it going to take you to ride off the 10,000 mile difference?

The 6000 mile service isn't much more than an oil change and a look over, but it's worth another hundred quid or so. Check what is covered under the warranty, but it's a bit of extra peace of mind if you're looking for it.

However, you left out the important information......what colour are they? :lol:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just been to the dealers today to have a look at the blue 02 one, loverly condition, for the full asking price of 6 grand they will put two new z6 tyres on it, service it and extend the warranty to 6 months, the only downside is the litte plastic infills that go where the panniers sit when not on the bike are missing and I rang a local yam dealer and they are £12.36 EACH :shock: and there is only one alarm fob.

10,000 miles = 2 years for me

the 53 plate is the grey

·
Registered
721 Posts
Decision made then, buy the 53! :lol:

Oh and it's not ferking GREY it's Silver Storm!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rabbit I spotted that me self, I'm a little concerned at buying off ebay without seeing the bike first, it's in Guilford, it's a long way to go to look at it make sure it's ok and then bid on it and your not guaranteed to win it. If it doesn't sell I may mail the seller and see if I can go down with the cash and have a look at it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Coppertop,

The 04 is mine. It's on the Bikes & Parts For Sale - UK bit.

It is a UK bike. The reason the price has changed is that I'm off to Canada soon (very soon) and the Canucks won't allow me to take it with me. There are some scratches on the panniers (or saddlebags as they say over the pond) where I dropped the bike on the gravel drive. Just been serviced

I'm going to cry when I see it going off down the road when someone buys it. :cry:

If you want any more info or photos let me know. I have 3 or 4 people booked to see it tomorrow.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the info Inspector but I have bought one today a 53 plate with loads of extras on it. If I lived closer to you I would have been seriously interested. I hope you get what you want for your bike and all the best for your new life in Canada, not that I'm jealous of course, well praps just a little bit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Congrats on the new ride, coppertop!

Now if I could just figure out what "02 plate", "53 plate", and "04 plate" refer to, I'd be all set. :lol: Must be a UK thing, perhaps related to the model year? 02 and 04 make sense, but 53?? :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The date prefix on UK registration plates changes on a six month cycle. 02 for the first half of 2002, 52 the second half, 03 and 53 in 2003, 04 and 54 in 2004, etc etc.
Generally speaking the plate is issued by date of first registration, rather than model year, so if a bike has been sitting in a dealers it is possible to have say a 2001 model on an 03 plate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.