FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks
Does anybody have any experience of this new system, good points, bad points, is the texting your mobile phone thingy any good, is the tracker thingy any good? My insurance company are biting my ear to have me fit this system. Fitted at my home for £349. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Malki

·
Registered
39 Posts
Had a system 3 - it flattened the battery on my Aprilia if left for two weeks , wasnt that impressed with it generally to be honest . even with the paultry discount i would ve had to keep the bike till i retired to make it pay for itself !!
If Tracker do a system for a motorcyle then i would fit that - professionally we recover lotsa vehicles that get stolen when they are fitted with this system , wont stop it going though.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I believe that in the UK at least the META alarms are recomended for the FJR; had a datatool once & to be honest wasnt that happy with it.
Bloody thing used to set itself while I was filling up with fuel.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had datatool fitted to my previous FJR and like Tony I thought the self arming was a pain in the arse, the new bike has the Meta alarm fitted which you have to set, much better IMHO, but each to make up there own mind. If I remember it cost about £250 fitted ( March 05 )

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is what I was afraid of, bloody thing setting itself when you don't want it to, shutting down yer ingnition when you are just about to hit 155mph and all sorts of other nasties. Dealer assures me that the System 4 addresses all these problems, but not quite 100% sure for that kind of money. I know dealers ask if you have one fitted before they service the bike, they absolutely hate them.

Malki

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
My 'new' bike had had a datatool immobiliser by the previous owner. One with the key fob that has to be touched against a sensor pad to deactivate it.

After sitting at a petrol pump for over ten minutes trying to get it to let me start it the bike now has a Meta system fitted. :evil:

·
Registered
107 Posts
The newer bikes have a factory fitted immobiliser anyway, so why would you want to complicate matters by having a second alarm / immobiliser fitted when you can just pay for the alarm, one immobiliser on the blink is enough to content with, but I would have thought it would be difficult to isolate which one was the problem if two were fitted and it wouldn't start. :shock:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have has Datatool on my last bike and this one, as some have said the self arming can be a pain but you get used to it.

As you know the new ones have a factory fit imobilser and Datatool do an upgrade alarm only fit.

Yes if left over the colder months it will flaten the battery but I use optimiser so no problems.

Insurance do give discount but not much , it is more peace of mind to be honest.

And by the way -- MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE :lol:

Teejay
------------------------------------------------------------
Keep it smooth, Keep it quick

·
Registered
18 Posts
Alarms

Meta for me, the self arm immobiliser can be a pain , but its ideal when filling up, it's nice and simple only two modes instead of 4 or 5 modes on the datatool, service mode, ferry mode etc. :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've recently had a datatool fitted to my FJR it does take a bit of getting used to but it is another weapon in the arsenal against the light fingered vermin.
As with anything attached to your battery it will eventually run it down, but i got a charger supplied with mine so no problem there. my battery has got low before I had the alarm fitted so not much cahenge really.
so along with the shackle lock, baseball bat and sabre tooth hamster (with a spiked coller) I think I should be ok :lol:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I use a Spyball. Immobilizer is auto-on, alarm you need to turn on with the key chain. Both are instant off with a press on the keychain. System has a automatic 'sleep mode' when the bike isn't used for more than a week, which will reduce power usage to a minimum by shutting down all non essential parts of the system.

Me like.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a wee update here - I had the Datatool S4 fitted to my bike 2 months ago. It's a mean piece of kit! Took the guy 5 hours to fit it to my K1200LT.
It seems to do the job just fine, got the one with the pager that lets you know if it goes off , also tells you whether its a knock, movement, power on, seat removal, or low battery on the bike, plus a few other things I aint worked out yet!
Only thing I don't like about it, is that it automatically sets after 45 seconds, unless you set the alarm to 'full' then set it to 'ferry mode' which disables the bike's ignition & starting, but turns off the 'knock' and 'movement' sensors, so you can get into luggage and so on.
Seems to be a good system, even down to the magnetic contacts under the seats to prevent access to the battery under my front seat, and to the alarm unit under the rear seat.
Comes with Datatag as well, on various parts of the bike, and the microchip 'watermarking' system which is painted on various parts of the bike of your choice. All UK police forces are equiped to find these on bikes or parts.
Also supplied with an Optimate III battery tender allowing you to leave it charging and fully alarmed thru the winter months.
Supplied and fitted by Carole Nash insurance company, they even sent a fitter from Durham to Glasgow to do mine at a cost of £349, 2 coffees and 2 choccie biscuits :mrgreen:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts