FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Would You takeover bike damaged like this from authorized Yamaha service?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

You see the pictures, so first of all I ask you to answer the survey whether you would pick up a vehicle like this from an authorized Yamaha service.

You know how we all take care for our engines, and this is the FJR1300 2018. with 17,000km. Those kilometers were not "local" rides, but the 2018. trip to the Alps and the 2019. trip to Istanbul. In 2020. and 2021. bike Was almost standstill due to COVID lockdowns. Should conservation of motorbike be commented? I do not think so…

In February 2022, I am responding to the official written invitation of Yamaha Croatia to recall of the gearbox (2nd gear problem). I was thinking, let them solve this and I'm going to further service the machine myself. Watch out now, it takes 2 (yes TWO) months and then I pick up a vehicle that knocks like a VW 1.9TDI "pumpe-duse". The repair is continued for the next month and they are opening the engine three times.

When I came to takeover a motorcycle 2 months ago, this greeted me. I used to watch motorcycles from Germany 20 years old in far better condition. I refuse to take over the vehicle. The service, without my knowledge, also polishes the vehicle and removes the factory clear-coat ...
Just so you know and take care of your pets and to whom you hand them over, the employee of importer by telephone and "authorized service" in written form assessed the 2018 FJR with 17,000 km a "junk" (not directly in those words, but in a figurative sense) and that "what do I want now".
The pounding/knocking of the engine is skillfully silenced in direct communication and communication with a lawyer, and this is the main reason why I no longer trust the motorcycle.

I warn everyone NOT to GO TO AUTHORIZED SERVICES THE DAY AFTER THE WARRANTY, LITERALLY - because it doesn't make any sense.
1) Importer / distributor is washing their hands of "authorized service", now pay attention - with reason that "what was happening there is a matter between me and the service".
1) "Yamaha Europe" washes its hands of importers / distributors with the explanation "that they can not follow everything that happens in a particular country."

I need an answer to the poll from you, and this story will receive media and court epilogues. With Your help it can even go international.
I'm scre*ed, I'm without a motorbike, but I don't want this to happen to anyone else, because this is only possible here in CROATIA!

** Details, names and surnames and "authorized service" do not mention until the consultation with a lawyer, Yamaha is aware and warned that I will release the story to the public and apparently do not worry too much about it **

Thnx guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I would call Yamaha, maybe through a lawyer. That’s completely unacceptable, I had similar on my 2014 when my dealer replaced the steering head bearings years ago and deeply scratched the red tank and the new just bought touring screen. After a serious “Jesus” conversation with the service manager (who I didn’t know did the work) and the dealerships general manager all was made right!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Hope you had pics and a walk-around before leaving it... you know with you and the svc department signing off on it.
nobody (or very few) take pictures "before", we all trust our dealers especially if they are the only "authorized" in the area.
...I witnessed how dealers hire "kids" to wash new vehicles (cars) by using a foaming brush, after they dropped it on a dirty floor :oops:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Greetings!

You see the pictures, so first of all I ask you to answer the survey whether you would pick up a vehicle like this from an authorized Yamaha service.

You know how we all take care for our engines, and this is the FJR1300 2018. with 17,000km. Those kilometers were not "local" rides, but the 2018. trip to the Alps and the 2019. trip to Istanbul. In 2020. and 2021. bike Was almost standstill due to COVID lockdowns. Should conservation of motorbike be commented? I do not think so…

In February 2022, I am responding to the official written invitation of Yamaha Croatia to recall of the gearbox (2nd gear problem). I was thinking, let them solve this and I'm going to further service the machine myself. Watch out now, it takes 2 (yes TWO) months and then I pick up a vehicle that knocks like a VW 1.9TDI "pumpe-duse". The repair is continued for the next month and they are opening the engine three times.

When I came to takeover a motorcycle 2 months ago, this greeted me. I used to watch motorcycles from Germany 20 years old in far better condition. I refuse to take over the vehicle. The service, without my knowledge, also polishes the vehicle and removes the factory clear-coat ...
Just so you know and take care of your pets and to whom you hand them over, the employee of importer by telephone and "authorized service" in written form assessed the 2018 FJR with 17,000 km a "junk" (not directly in those words, but in a figurative sense) and that "what do I want now".
The pounding/knocking of the engine is skillfully silenced in direct communication and communication with a lawyer, and this is the main reason why I no longer trust the motorcycle.

I warn everyone NOT to GO TO AUTHORIZED SERVICES THE DAY AFTER THE WARRANTY, LITERALLY - because it doesn't make any sense.
1) Importer / distributor is washing their hands of "authorized service", now pay attention - with reason that "what was happening there is a matter between me and the service".
1) "Yamaha Europe" washes its hands of importers / distributors with the explanation "that they can not follow everything that happens in a particular country."

I need an answer to the poll from you, and this story will receive media and court epilogues. With Your help it can even go international.
I'm scre*ed, I'm without a motorbike, but I don't want this to happen to anyone else, because this is only possible here in CROATIA!

** Details, names and surnames and "authorized service" do not mention until the consultation with a lawyer, Yamaha is aware and warned that I will release the story to the public and apparently do not worry too much about it **

Thnx guys!
I feel for you my friend, it's a shame how poorly this dealer treated your bike :(

Yamaha Croatia (or Yamaha representative for Croatia), should at least send somebody to inspect the bike, to make sure the 2nd gear recall was done according to Yamaha instructions and standards, so that would maybe be your priority #1...to make sure your bike is at least mechanically sound and safe to operate. Once you confirm that, you'll at least have your bike back...yes with few blemishes and scratches, but maybe you could go back and talk to the dealership manager and maybe they can help you out with some accessories or something.

Definitely a bummer and disappointment, but life will have to go on, thinking that lawyers will be able to fix "this mess" is a gamble, and it may cost you a lot of money in legal fees.

good luck and report back, cheers (y)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Unfortunately the average Yamaha technician was the boy who sat in the back row at school mucking about. The boys who sat in the front row are doctors.
When I collected my 2020 Yamaha FJR from a dealer that I had not used before all they had to do was put on the number plate and a Datatag sticker. The sticker is crooked and the number plate had marks where they let the chuck of the drill hit it.
I have not had the recall done and the bike is faultless.
The Yamaha spokesperson said that the gearbox would only break if it was abused.
The dealer would be responsible for the damage, but unfortunately it may mean taking legal action against them.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Assuming the scratches and clear coat damage/removal was done by the dealer, I think they ought to be replacing the damaged panels and parts with new panels and parts. I’d be questioning the gearbox recall work if it’s making unusual noises.
Yamaha has to stand behind their dealership network and make things right, but it may take a lot of persuasion. Sorry to hear you’re hassling with this, and best wishes for proper. resolution.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Just another reason I do my own work. Last time I thought I'd give a "service" center the benefit of the doubt, not only did they not fix the problem after handing them the fix in writing, they ignored my instructions to call me with their diagnosis before performing any work. So they replaced parts that didn't need replacing, causing MORE problems that I then took it upon myself to fix. Literally took it in for one problem, got it back with the same problem plus new ones. Keep taking it in until they get it right? Heyell f^@*!)ing no. If you want something done right...

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,576 Posts
Yamaha has to stand behind their dealership network and make things right
Dunno what makes you think this but most certainly they do not. Never have, never will. Dealerships are "independent businesses" responsible for and to themselves. It's like getting a dented washing machine- the retailer is responsible, not the mfr.

·
Super Moderator
4,123 Posts
nobody (or very few) take pictures "before", we all trust our dealers especially if they are the only "authorized" in the area.
...I witnessed how dealers hire "kids" to wash new vehicles (cars) by using a foaming brush, after they dropped it on a dirty floor :oops:
I've done walk arounds on cars and bikes for a very long long time. Because I used to trust the dealership and learned the hard way.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I've done walk arounds on cars and bikes for a very long long time. Because I used to trust the dealership and learned the hard way.
I do the same. But I know that not many people do. But if I were in the OPs shoes what I would ask the owner is why they didn't have service writers note damage when a bike comes in to cover their ass. Many car and bike dealerships do that now. The point is that if you take them to court and they claim in court that it was damaged when it was brought in, where is the proof that they knew that.

BTW, I answered yes. What good does it do to leave it there? You have no leverage on them by leaving it there. But they have remedies for bikes not picked up in a certain amount of time, and those remedies can end very badly for the owner of the bike.

• Sad
Reactions: bounce

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Get the bike out of there, call Yamaha and ask where can you take it to get the problem diagnosed. Don't give the new shop the story, just hear what they have to say. Then call Yamaha back and tell them what their own people found.

And polishing a bike should not remove clear coat. You'd need a very aggressive compound to do that. Or do you mean they just scratched it up?

Reactions: bounce

·
Registered
216 Posts
Dunno what makes you think this but most certainly they do not. Never have, never will. Dealerships are "independent businesses" responsible for and to themselves. It's like getting a dented washing machine- the retailer is responsible, not the mfr.
On further thought, you make a good point and I agree…I should have said “should” as that’s the right thing to do…Yamaha endorses dealers as their representatives and they should not be divorcing themselves from any liability for what their representatives do...but, point taken, they may not act as they should since it involves money.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Whooshka I'm done with that bike. I ride up to 600miles and 14 hours a day, 5/10 days in a row when I travel.
For that You need absolute and unquestionable trust in Your bike. Due to clueless mechanic I lost that, this bike is now useless to me. Sad but true. I (and they) dunno what they have done, and what will came out in next 500, 1000 miles as a next problem...

@rbentnail isn't that sad? You use authorized service and drive-in bike under 6 foot Yamaha sign. Yamaha "authorized" them and "stands" behind them. BUT, You see, in case of a problem they will slam You with that sign, twice... And yes, I contacted Yamaha.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Part of the problem is a resolution would insist on taking it back to the people that screwed it up. No, and not even a thanks. Resolution should be to take it somewhere else. But 'somewhere else' may outright refuse to touch the others' work after they've screwed with it. May have to go behind everything yourself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts