FJR Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have much more I plan to add to my new bike but I purchased this back in November, I decided to give it some personality, So I wrapped and added decals to my 2019 FJR1300ES. I know some of you may not like the colors but I'm a huge fan of iridescent so I ordered a chameleon carbon fiber that depending on the lighting changes from green, blue and purple. I think it turned out well. I also made my own bag protectors using another persons template on this website. Let me know what you guys think.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Helmet
Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

· Registered
29 Posts
I like everything you did with that. I like the matte blue finish. The side cases that came with my '05 had been damaged and patched but were in need of a paint job, so I bought some high end Krylon paint that matched the blue, IMO about 95%. IMO, it turned out pretty well. They look almost exactly like your side cases. They don't have the sheen finish of the top case so I'm thinking about scuffing up the top case and spray painting it to match the side cases. That blue is ever so slightly darker than the side cases blue. Most people might not notice it, but I do. If the tank wasn't metal I'd consider scuffing the whole bike and spray painting it and all of the fairings! Good job on yours!

· Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
1,376 Posts
You did nice work!! Looks very professional!

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys! The vinyl wrap really wasn't as hard to do as I thought it would be. Just takes patience. I might redo parts of it in the summer after I see how it holds up. I'm sure you could find a close to color match vinyl wrap for your top box if not, maybe just wrap it with some sort of accent with your bike to make it match better.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
VVIVID® XPO Purple to Blue Chameleon Carbon Fiber 10ft x 5ft Vinyl Roll Wrap W/ Air-Release Technology https://a.co/d/6wRNXGr

CARTINTS Car Wrapping Vinyl Kit Window Tint Film Application Tools with Edge Trimming Squeegee, 9mm Knife, Felt Squeegee https://a.co/d/7M3KRUe

Thats the wrap I used and the kit I used to install it. I also purchased a heat gun from harbor freight. But any heat gun or depending on the hair dryer, would work fine as well.

· Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,859 Posts
Another established company is MetroRestyling in Michigan...... order samples of the wraps you're thinking of, then decide. Great service from these people and their products are name brand top notch.

· Registered
2013 FJR1300A, 2003 FZ1 "Bee"
804 Posts
I usually cringe at stuff like that, but IMO, looks pretty good.
Actually is ideas for the blah, all black front, of my FZ1.

Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I might check out that vinyl company RaYzerman, Thanks! And thank you Rumble, that's why I did my bike, I felt there were too many solid blotches that could used broken up. It could be an idea for sure!

· Registered
2013 FJR1300A, 2003 FZ1 "Bee"
804 Posts
Yup, son has son "real" carbon look stuff, but it's too MEH to me on the front of the FZ1. Spiffy on the CR-Z center dash piece though... LOL

Blue Light Motor vehicle Vehicle Cameras & optics

· Registered
335 Posts
Phantom58, I absolutely love what you have done with that carbon fiber! I have a 2018 FJR with the same matte blue paint. I know nothing about automotive wraps, so have a couple of questions ...
- is the wrap material permanent or is it removable? If removable, does it affect the paint from places it has been removed from?
- is the wrap material protective as well as decorative? It seems that it would be protective of the paint underneath it, but I don't want to make assumptions.
- is the wrap reflective? It certainly appears to be, but photos can be misleading.

Thanks for posting the photos and description!

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So from the research I've done before I wrapped it, it is totally removable and easy to do so, all you do is heat it up and it peels right off, and honestly depending on the vinyl and how its wrapped, some you can just peel off. It does protect the paint from being damaged and should not harm the paint, the only thing i could see if using it as an accent like I'm doing, is the sun fading the paint around the accent more then underneath. I'm actually using the wrap to protect the piece underneath the radiator. As far as reflectivity, it depends on what your wrap finish is. My wrap is reflective to some degree, but not like an actual reflector. Like it will shine back some but it won't light up if that makes sense. Now the fjr1300 rear bag decals and the yamaha decals on the side covers are fully reflective and will light up when hit with light. I hope these answers were helpful.

· Registered
335 Posts
Thank you! Extremely helpful info! I tried to put a paint protection film on high-wear parts my FJR (sides of tank, front of mirrors), but it would not adhere to the matte paint finish. Given your project, I'm thinking some tasteful wrap might be as good or better, especially if the wrap material is removable and does not adversely affect the paint. Thanks again!

· Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,859 Posts
I'd suggest getting some wrap and playing with it..... get a little experience with complicated pieces (like the tank trim). If going black carbon, I'd get a matte finish rather than gloss. I had some that felt like the real thing, roughish texture to it. I have some samples coming in the mail.......

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Your welcome Sete, I agree with RaYzerman, if you start with the tank trim piece and can successfully do that. The rest of the bike is a piece of cake. I also started with that piece. I got the idea online, I can't remember the name of the website though. A little tip for doing that trim piece, cut a piece to rough size for it and work it from one side to the other, heat up all the little crevices and using the cotton gloves that come with that kit, push the vinyl into all the edges, then allow it to cool before moving go the next part.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts