FJR Owners Forum banner

Custom License Plates - Anyone else installed one?

24K views 92 replies 29 participants last post by  alnbama 
#1 ·
I ordered a custom license plate for my 2014 and this is how it looks installed:

Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle registration plate Motorcycle

I am wondering if there are others who have installed a custom license plate on their motorcycle? Please share if you have...

See less See more
#4 ·
IF I got a custom tag, I would want a tag that says IO110I1O (all letter I's, O's, ones, and zeroes, mixed) for that reason. The more riders who got similar plates, the better. If a cop issues a ticket with the plate number wrong, the ticket is prolly DOA.
:sneaky:

#5 ·
I like customized plates, some are nicely creative. And I don't mind paying the fee to have one made up. ONCE. It just irks me that in the two states I'm familiar with, both will charge you the customized plate fee every year on top of the annual registration fees. I mean if I already paid to have a customized tag/plate produced and I'm still using it each year afterwards why the need to charge me more than any other tag/plate?? I just can't do it.

#86 ·
If you keep the same vanity plate number it keeps somebody else from getting it too, so they keep charging you for the full price.

When Texas opened up to 7 digits on their license plates they were auctioning off popular names for plates. "COWBOYS" went for 5- digit money.

#6 ·
I tried to get one for Orion, here in Texas.

I tried 100 different variations of letters and numbers and all were rejected as "already in use."

Really 100 variations are "Already In Use??" I called BS on that...

This one made me smile!

Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Sky

Very creative and crafty!!

#7 ·
Our MVD's approval process for vanity plates is a joke. I once had a vanity plate rejected because they (wrongly) claimed it violated their guidelines. I applied for the same plate again right away, only I changed the explanation. Approved.

After a couple of applications, you learn how to write the "backstory" to appeal to the MVD's biases, and you can get away with almost anything.

#10 · (Edited)
Saw a Tesla in Helena yesterday with the Montana tag,
AI DRVR
On my R1250GSA with a sidecar I have the plate,

PANZR
My old boss has a plate on his Tesla S
NO ICE

#12 ·
In Montana motorcycle registrations are permanent. Register once and you are good forever. Cost about $160 with a vanity tag. As a result of this bikes that were long ago scrapped or moved out of state are still on the books as on the road in Montana.

There was a report by the insurance industry a few years ago that listed Montana as the safest state for motorcyclists. They determined this by comparing the number of reported accidents to the number of registered motorcycles. You can see how Montana’s permanent registration policy skewed that rating.

#14 ·
Oh My!! Saucy!! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: bounce
#17 ·
Yep that was what talked me out of it - getting hit with the fee every year, even though they weren't giving me a new plate.

I don't know whether my new state (NM) charges each year for a vanity plate, but it's under $20 so not that bad.

there's no free lunch though - don't get me started on our MVD and their outright greed with regard to used vehicle purchases.

#24 ·
License plate info is public record - that is why you can put your plate number into various car buying sites and have it pull up your exact vehicle information. But everyone needs to secure things that they think need securing.

Reactions: natsmada4fjr
#29 ·
Texas charges $150.00/year for the just the vanity portion. Then you have to add on the registration costs.

So not worth it...

• Wow
Reactions: P-Ratt and bounce
#30 ·
Personalized plate here is a one-time C$310..... regular fees only for renewals. Plates here are not a record the public can look up. Even cops can't just go look up a plate for no reason, must have probable cause. That said, they are currently rolling out scanning cameras to scan plates as the cruisers drive..... notification will pop up if reported stolen, expired, or on a bulletin list.

#35 ·
I just Googled my plate number and nothing remotely tracing it to me showed up.

What methods would you use to track me down?

Reactions: DesertBike
#40 ·
Its easier to just go through someone's forum posts if you want a bunch of info about them. Even easier if they tend to use the same username on multiple forums. Using a license plate would be a lot of extra work.

Reactions: bounce
#45 ·
I would have liked to see the look on your face if he answered the door with a double barrel.

Be glad he didn't get your plate number when you pulled away. :eek:

#42 ·
Geek mode activated:

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Note the modified state motto on the plate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.