FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an appointment to get some customer ear plugs made next week. The foam jobs just aren't good enough to handle the wind noise coming off an 06. My ears have been ringing so bad I can't sleep. Has anyone tried the wax ear plugs or any type that will reduce extreme wind noise? I'm getting desperate and deaf. I ride about 80 highway miles everyday to get to and from work. :|

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
I've heard good things about them.

But I find the Howard Leight MAX earplugs to be very soft, supple, comfortable and easy to install, plus I could stand next to a cannon with them on. (or survive that idiot supercross guy for hours)

What kind are you using now?

:)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have earphones that block out wind noise very well - that way you can listen to your tunes as you ride if that is something that appeals to you. A bit expensive but they are the best. If you are going to have plugs in your ears might as well have some music playing. They are small, comfy and fit perfectly with my Shoei helmet - don't crunch my ears or anything

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6.aspx

You can find them cheaper on other websites

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
I too have a pair of ER6s. They're awesome, but I haven't figured how to make them comfy on longer trips.

:)

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Liquidsilver said:
I too have a pair of ER6s. They're awesome, but I haven't figured how to make them comfy on longer trips.:)
Probably just need to clean your ears. :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
592 Posts
I use an autocomm system with these plugs. I like them. They take out the wind and the extremely high freqs from the headsets. The music has a better balanced sound with my XM. Better than w/o ear plugs IMHO. I feel that the wind noise coming off the screen is pretty poud in the low position, but I like the airflow for ventilation.

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/quietnrr14.html

Bryon

·
Registered
353 Posts
Depends what helmet you use aswell. Some much worse than others . Belive me price don't make um better . Aria very noisy Cabergs lot better.
We use standard factory ear plugs my mate gets from his work for me. In conjunction with Autocom aswell. Very satisfactory in my opinion.
Mind you it's on the old 03. Maybe they just much quieter.

Are we permited to talk about anything other than 06's now?

TINC :wink:

·
Registered
592 Posts
alman said:
Are we permited to talk about anything other than 06's now?

TINC :wink:
:crylarf: :crylarf: :crylarf:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Have Duocom custom fitted ear monitors for when I use the Autocom, plain custom earmoulds for when I'm not. Both work better for me than out of the box earplugs. Not tried them myself, but don't think that the wax plugs offer the same attenuation levels, and of the two the Duocoms block more outside noise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ear plugs

I am in the precess of getting custom ear plug/phones from Now Hear
This. Check out their web site at www.plugup.com. I will do a report when I have had an chance to use them for awhile

·
Registered
185 Posts
May be of interest to those in the UK that ACS www.hearingprotection.co.uk , the company that supplies Duocoms now list major chains like Specsavers amongst their dealers. Probably pay a premium to go through them but very convenient.
I have just had my Duocoms repaired free of charge after nearly two years because I was stupid enough to catch & pull the cable out of both plugs.
No connection to ACS etc.. etc..

·
Premium Member
471 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
For those of you in the North West of England, these guys are located in Bolton. I got a set of custom-fitted earplugs for about £50 when they were at the rawtenstall show last year. They really increase the enjoyability of riding.

www.hearing-protection.co.uk

Not the same as a link previous in this thread.[/url]

·
Registered
632 Posts
joecbr1100 said:
I have an appointment to get some customer ear plugs made next week. The foam jobs just aren't good enough to handle the wind noise coming off an 06. My ears have been ringing so bad I can't sleep. Has anyone tried the wax ear plugs or any type that will reduce extreme wind noise? I'm getting desperate and deaf. I ride about 80 highway miles everyday to get to and from work. :|
I don't think you have them fitted properly then. How do you fit them? They should go right into your ear - not just pushed into the outer bit of your ear.

I have tried 4 sets of custom moulded plugs and have gone back to the "foam" type because they give better ear protection - by about 10-12db's.

Alan

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the ultimate ear ones, the UEP 73 "Squidgy" and a coreded set (intercom) 30db reduction.

I have to agree with Alan, get a good foam one and they can be quieter.

I also had problems with my UEP 73 set and they had to be sent back and be adjusted. (Personal note, I would not use Ultimate ear again, did not like their service)

Make sure you helmet does not press on your ears, the moulded one can get painful, especially if it has cord.

Leigh

1 - 16 of 16 Posts