FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have it from someone who should know that simply unplugging the o2 sensor on the 06 will cure 85% of the down-low twitchiness. Please don't ask me who said it :? , but they REALLY should know what they're talking about. So I'd like some opinions from the local gurus here, whom I think are also very knowledgeable--you know who you are! :wink:

·
Registered
51 Posts
If anyone knows the answer to this, please help. This problem is the only significant one I have found with my new 06A. Love the bike though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can't you just unplug your own to see?

Harvey

This, of course, in posted by someone who hasn't ridden his own FJR because of a broken collarbone.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
No problem with trying it. You'll get an error message while it's unplugged, but shouldn't do any harm. If you like the results, you could throw in a power commander.

I don't see the O2 sensor alone helping much, though... FWIW.

:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Power commander does not have a unit for the 06 FJR yet. They don't know when one will be available as of last week

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I don't even have an issue wirth this any longer. You can adapt to it and be smooth as silk with a little practice. I'd sure rather train my throttle hand than start unplugging stuff and messing with the EFI. That can be a real can of worms.

·
Super Moderator
3,957 Posts
If the O2 sensor works like in past years, it only kicks in when there is a constant throttle (like cruising as a constant speed). Doesn't seem unplugging it would do much good when at low (commuting) throttle positions because those tend not to be "constant" (at least for me). Are you riding in parades or something?

·
Registered
80 Posts
+1 20valves

You will adapt. Some of the mods help smooth it a bit, but the main culprit of the twitchiness is your right hand and left brain. Practice. This, plus the combo mod approach has me very happy with my switch to the FJR.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My main objective was to determine if doing this would cause any harm; I'm not really convinced it would solve 80%, however I was told this by a DynoJet Research person who said, quote "if you unplug the stock o2 that it would cure most of the issue, and once the power commander is out, then we can clean it up completely. Try that out and let me know what you think." Unquote. So I assumed when he said "most of the issue" it would be about 80%--which would be a good fix for me.
And I also agree with 20valves, I just returned from a 600 mile weekend trip thru the Smokies and after 1500 miles total on the FJR I have also adapted to it. But I still don't like it. And if there's a fix for the herky-jerkies this bike has, I intend to fix it. I ran into a fellow 06 FJR pilot on the Blue Ridge Parkway this weekend and he voiced the same opinions about his. All that being said...I love this bike!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
herky jerky throttle

un-plugging the 02 sensor will not fuck anything up, but will make the exhaust smell like rotten eggs very quickly.....lots of cars on U S roads have non working 02 sensors, they still drive them everyday.....they would just run better if the sensor worked..

having fixed my 03 fjr herky jerky-ness, some years back,,,, let me recall.......

1. remove the excess throttle cable SLACK
2. un-hook the MAIN throttle return spring at the F/I rack
3. install a Techlusion Fuel control box [$169.00 back then], read the instructions!!!
4. drop the pipes and cut out/remove the two catalytic convertors.

100% improvement
no low speed, partial throttle STUMBLE
no constant speed/highway cruise LEAN SURGE
no on/off throttle jerky-ness

smooth as the best carberated bikes [94 honda vfr750 ]

A side benefit was a much cooler running motor -----mostly 2 bars ,,here in N GA.

these mods and a few others [LSL handlebars] have kept HER out of www.cycletrader.com ,,,and in my stable of bikes.
going on 4 yrs this October!

:ale:

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Re: herky jerky throttle

jupiterfjr said:
un-plugging the 02 sensor will not fug anything up, but will make the exhaust smell like rotten eggs very quickly.....lots of cars on U S roads have non working 02 sensors, they still drive them everyday.....they would just run better if the sensor worked..
I don't know where to start with that one. Ummm, with the O2 sensor unplugged, it would be running the same as the PowerCommander's 'zero map.' Not rotten eggs by any stretch. I'll leave alone the reasoning on the rest. :roll:

:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts