FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it turns out I may have to go to a client site for at least a month. This site is in Crawley. Is there any reason for me to be interested in Crawley? What excitement can Crawley offer? Someone described it to me as Slough "the town that was the setting for the BBC program The Office". Please tell me this isn't true!! Anyone know of any place near there that I could rent a bike on the weekend?

Thanks
gypsy

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Is Crawley where you start before you can go to Walkley (and is there a place called Runley) :wink:

·
Registered
124 Posts
gypsy said:
Well it turns out I may have to go to a client site for at least a month. This site is in Crawley.
Oh dear, oh dear.

You could perhaps try the FJ Owners Club. (Do a Google on FJOC)). They will rent bikes out and I guess they are about 100 or so miles from Crawley.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts

Well, there are some bits of Crawley that are okay.....but to be honest there is no reason to be interested in Crawley.

Unfortunately Slough is an all too real place, and residents of Crawley aspire to living there.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ok,
You might have gotten the picture by now, Crawley is not a "hip" place.

But there are some good riding to be had in the area.

(just remember to bring earplugs if you intend to sleep - Gatwick is a busy airport, even at night).

Rental?

See:
http://www.abouttownbikehire.co.uk/overseas.htm
Or:
SVH Bike Hire
3 Durham Street
Portsmouth
Hampshire
PO1 1NA
Tel: 023 9273 9911
Or:
Hexagon Motorcycles Ltd
0845 458 4585

Haven't got a clue what they're like, never rented a bike I just found them on the web.
If you call from Canada, you will have to replace the first 0 in the phone number with 44.

Are you really going to CRAWLEY??? :crylarf: :crylarf:
You need a lot of theese.... :ale: :ale: :ale:

(Sorry couldn't stop myself)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your help everyone. It sounds like a dead exciting place!! Fortunately it is only 40 minutes on the train from the centre of London.

gypsy

·
Registered
60 Posts
Crawley

Brands Hatch is about 35 miles form Crawley so you could book a track day :D The soudh Downs are close for back road fun :p
Regards
Esme

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Crawley

Esmerelda said:
Brands Hatch is about 35 miles form Crawley so you could book a track day :D The soudh Downs are close for back road fun :p
Regards
Esme
As far as I can tell you can't take a rental bike on the track...I mean how unreasonable! :)

gypsy

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the contract is signed so I am off to Crawley on the weekend. Since I am there for a month I think I will rent a bike one weekend and ride to Somerset to visit a friend. Any suggestions on routes from London to Somerset that would make good riding?

Thanks
gypsy

·
Registered
14 Posts
gypsy said:
so I am off to Crawley on the weekend. .... will rent a bike one weekend and ride to Somerset to visit a friend. Any suggestions on routes from London to Somerset that would make good riding?
Firstly, bad luck. It's the sort of place you only want to go through, not stop off and visit.

Re Somerset, it depends where and how long getting there, but rather than starting in London, if you stay south there are some good runs through the downs, New Forest and coast road.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UKCF,

The reason I said from London is that I was thinking I would have to go there to hire a bike. The New Forest sounds interesting. Recently read a book called "The Forest" which is set there.

gypsy

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Not sure which route to take from London, but if you were starting from Crawley then about 10km to the south of the town you can pick up the A272 which runs East West across the South of England. You have to get up early on a weekend morning to enjoy it at its empty best, but its always worth a ride. It ends at Winchester, and if I'm going to the West country we'd normally head for Salisbury via the B3049 to Stockbridge then the A30 (some of the locals may have better roads for that section). Where you go from there depends on which bit of Somerset you are heading for.

·
Registered
14 Posts
gypsy said:
The reason I said from London is that I was thinking I would have to go there to hire a bike. The New Forest sounds interesting. Recently read a book called "The Forest" which is set there.
Gypsy

If starting from London, it all depends on your time but would suggest heading off down the A303/M3 just to get out of London without going to far west too soon. I'd make the New Forest your initial target, which would mean a blat down the M3 to start, but hey, nothing like a quick blat to get the London fug out of your system.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.