FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas on the wisdom, of purchasing a 2003 FJR, with corrision/bubbling paint on the wheels, mirrors and various other nuts and bolts. Have not looked at motor. She has 16000km on her, and feels pretty chrisp. A new Ohlins on the rare end, is appealing as I have found the rare end on the 2001 model a bit soft. Was thinking off parting with my money today, but as you can tell I am concerned, as even the bolts that hold the discs on are corroded. not to mention there appears to have been work on what appears to be the (water) pump on the left hand side above the filter.

Any serious support appreciated, 12K NZ is a good price apparently!

:| - no knowledge, not good - kiwi without wings

·
Registered
426 Posts
If the bike will continue to reside in salt air there is probably no reason to buy one in pristine condition, but there are now anti-corrosion sprays that can be used to combat it. It basically gets down to whether the purchase price is low enough to justify your living with all that corrosion.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I agree - as long as you are happy with the condition and it remains in that environment then maybe it is a good buy in that respect. Perhaps you have the time and money to repair all this neglect, but make sure you get a damn good deal on the bike. Do a bit more research on the average selling price.

The water pump is on the other side of the engine.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
In the UK they spread salt on the roads in winter to make sure that everything rusts, and to make matters worse I live by the sea. The corrosion you mention is exactly the same bits that are looking a bit tired on my 01, along with the rear brake caliper and mounting, and various other bits and bobs, but as long as you keep control of it and make sure that corrosion isn't getting in anywhere important then it's only cosmetic. The disc bolts are cadmium plated steel, so will corrode even in only slightly hostile conditions. If you don't like the look of them though, replace them with some stainless ones and you'll be fine. People can only see the blemishes when the bike is standing still anyway :wink:

I'd be a bit more curious about the "work" that has been done on the "water pump". If you mean the big round lump next to the oil filter, that's the alternator cover, and unless the alternator fails, or major engine work needs doing there is no reason for it to be disturbed. However it is one of the main points of impact if the bike is dropped on that side, so it may be an indication that the bikes been in an accident. The only other thing on the left side is the clutch slave cylinder, and it possible that they might have changed the fluid.
Sorry can't be more helpful, but it's a bit difficult to give an accurate diagnosis from the opposite side of the globe.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Corrosion and price!!

Well she is now mine and I am officially in the club, the price was even better, with out right cheek!. Thank you all for your replys, and the direction in terms of the alternator, slave cylinder - previous guessed at as a water pump, just excess gasket cement, same as "all" models i cecked in comparison with her (4). The corrosion attack starts now, rust kill, and I guess heat proof paint , a couple of new mirrors and big stickers to cover the scratches on the panniers!!!! Replacing the bolts on the discs with s/steel sounds good, but one must find them, i guess high tensial a must here!. Beleive it or not my hands are not the best, the money is gone, and cosmetics I can live with...........my relationship is evidence of this, OUCH! that was the reply, I guess keeping :lol: moving and paint are the best options at this stage, all the best guys ----- keep those feet warm!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Jeez...I hope that bike wasn't underwater. Thing is...I live in what is reported to be the MOST corrosive envirionment in all of North America. My '03 FJR has NO rust or corrosion damage. No, I don't wash it all that often (2-3 times annually maybe). I think more may be afoot here. Check all components VERY carefully.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts