FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out for a ride today and I noticed my temperature gauge climbing above half way, it was only 55 F today so I stopped and let it run, no cooling fans. Coolant level is spot on so I started looking in the shop manual. Fuses good but I am unable to locate the relay for the fans, does anyone have experience with this before I take off all of the cowlings? I've removed both side cowlings and can't locate the relay. After the relay I'll check the temperature sensor which is under the fuel tank. Any help would be appreciated.
2009 model.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR A Model
8,073 Posts
A little vague on the description so let's get technical:

My Gen2 bike fans come on at 7 1/2 bars. Meaning after the 7th bar the temp still needs to go up some for the fans to come on. Has your bike warmed that much?

Any recent maintenance?

Do you have a service manual? Electrical and location diagrams there. On the '06-'07, #15 is the fan relay.

And This Statement May Help with above pic

In this pic #26 is the fan relay

So, to get to the fan relay it looks like you pull the front end off, yes? This downloadable file may be helpful if that's what you feel you need to do -> Gen 2 Plastics Removal.pdf.

And check out Diagnostic Actuation. IIRC there's a way via the digital display in the diagnostic mode to manually cycle the fan relay to check fan operation.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR A Model
8,073 Posts

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,117 Posts
As Russ says, fans will come on after 7 bars........ are you really getting that high?

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
257 Posts
If you want to get the temperature up quickly on a cool day like what you describe, take it on the freeway for a good while and once you get off pull into a parking lot and let it idle. You should see temperature rise fairly quickly

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A little vague on the description so let's get technical:

My Gen2 bike fans come on at 7 1/2 bars. Meaning after the 7th bar the temp still needs to go up some for the fans to come on. Has your bike warmed that much?

Any recent maintenance?

Do you have a service manual? Electrical and location diagrams there. On the '06-'07, #15 is the fan relay.

View attachment 77970
And This Statement May Help with above pic

View attachment 77973

In this pic #26 is the fan relay

View attachment 77971

So, to get to the fan relay it looks like you pull the front end off, yes? This downloadable file may be helpful if that's what you feel you need to do -> Gen 2 Plastics Removal.pdf.

And check out Diagnostic Actuation. IIRC there's a way via the digital display in the diagnostic mode to manually cycle the fan relay to check fan operation.
Firstly, thank you for posting this diagram. I was looking in the wrong section of the manual (Doh!) Second, I apparently jumped the gun on this as my temperature gauge was reading 6 bars and not 7 as indicated. Let's call this a senior moment.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to be honest, I never took note of when the fans actually came on in the past so I obviously jumped the gun here. I do know the difference between a wrench and a fork so I'll chalk this up to my limited knowledge of this bike having owned it for less than 2 years. Thanks for the info and your patience, other bike forums would have just called me a dumba$$.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
To be sure you can get yourself an infrared temperature gun. Use it to read the actual temp. Get a mechanics one not a people one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To be sure you can get yourself an infrared temperature gun. Use it to read the actual temp. Get a mechanics one not a people one.
Thanks Mike, I will get one for sure.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're welcome. Glad it's fine. Now get out there, stress less and ride more!
😀😀😀😀 Thanks again. Weather's getting better, some riding is in the immediate future.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts