FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a gallon of Engineice, the color of the current coolant is orange and I know they can not mix.

I've watched this video and have a sense of how to change the coolant, but how can I flush all the current coolant out?

Can I use distilled water? There are NO Yamaha shop that will work on any models older than 10 years so, appears it's up to me. I chose the EngineIce due to the ridiculously high temps here in AZ.

Thanks for all the continued support!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,421 Posts
I've done a flush by draining, refilling with distilled water (including the overflow), run to heat. Let cool down. Repeat until what you drain out is clear. There's a procedure called The Coolant Blowjob but a simple drain & refill is imho just as effective and a lot simpler.

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
375 Posts
If I may piggyback this question with my own... When I did my last flush the previous coolant was legit Ecto-Cooler green opaque. I had checked it when I purchased the bike and there was no need to add any, the bike ran at the temperatures it should so I left it. When I drained it and replaced it with generic green premix it was much less opaque and a lighter hue of green. Is it possible the previous owner did not dilute the coolant or does that happen over time? Is it just the different brands? I have forgot to dilute coolant when I was younger and ended up blowing a hose and needing a new pump but the bike never overheated.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
2,193 Posts
Could be different brands. I buy mostly cheap premix and the green varies from brand to brand. If you are ever worried about the mix just get an old fashioned antifreeze tester - they still work.

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
473 Posts
I must admit that I never flush my system - I simply drain the old coolant and replace with new coolant. Yes, there will be a small amount of the old stuff in the system, but is it really that big of a deal? I replace every two years.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,628 Posts
Exactly, keep it simple, I don't flush. No need for exotic coolants..... that's why we have thermostats. Antifreeze tester not needed unless you dilute..... water content necessary as it conducts heat better than pure coolant.... coolant doesn't degrade, only the anti-corrosion additives do.....
You can check that with a voltmeter..... Google it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Exactly, keep it simple, I don't flush. No need for exotic coolants..... that's why we have thermostats. Antifreeze tester not needed unless you dilute..... water content necessary as it conducts heat better than pure coolant.... coolant doesn't degrade, only the anti-corrosion additives do.....
You can check that with a voltmeter..... Google it.
Hi RaYzerman.

I admit, I might be overthinking the coolant service, and changing over to the Engineice is a bit of a hassle but, once again I am in AZ and we deal with scorching heat, so any reduction in temps is welcome.

The thermostat operates the same regard; regardless of the coolant? correct?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've done a flush by draining, refilling with distilled water (including the overflow), run to heat. Let cool down. Repeat until what you drain out is clear. There's a procedure called The Coolant Blowjob but a simple drain & refill is imho just as effective and a lot simpler.
Yo rbentnail,

From my understanding, the engineice is not compatible with orange coolant so the current coolant needs to be fully flushed. Once I flush the old coolant out with distilled water, how much-distilled water do you approximate will be remaining in the engine that can not be drained? and, would that amount be acceptable to mix with the engineice without over diluting the engieice?

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
I thought I read somewhere you can't really drain about 1/2 pint that's in the engine. Maybe you can blow it out somehow.

You might want to look into waterless coolant. No pressure buildup but very finniky.

Reactions: StreamRider

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
375 Posts

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,628 Posts
Use the cheap stuff.... is Yamacool cheap? Here's the deal, most of us use a 50-50 mix because we want to protect from freezing..... not even me up here needs that kind of protection... read the label, what's the worst winter temperature you see overnight? Water conducts heat better than coolant, so maybe go with a 70/30 mix, I can easily use 60/40 up here. The thermostat doesn't care what's in there.
The Yammy cooling system is robust enough as long as you're moving more than 30 mph, it won't overheat on hot days. Fans might run a while, but it shouldn't ever overheat. I don't hear of thermostat issues like I hear on Hondas (design?).

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300A
126 Posts
After further consideration, I am going to return the engineIce and go with Yamahcool. I've learned the engineice can cause damage so I am simply going with Factory coolant and flush 3X's with distilled water before adding fresh factory coolant..
Good plan. I flushed mine when I got it and it took 3 rounds before the water came out clean. Mine clearly had the 10 year old factory coolant in it. Or what was left of it. Overflow tank was empty and black "coolant" was what came out. Now I will just replace every two years, no flush.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
I see it used a lot in old British sports cars like mine. 48 year old cooling systems can be fragile. I've seen heater cores get blown up because of hot running and pressure in the system.

·
Premium Member
2016 FJR1300AK
199 Posts
High temps in Arizona? use Red Line Water Wetter.

I mix 4 oz. of the water wetter with 70% water and 28% coolant for my bikes. Works very well here in the Texas heat.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts