FJR Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from snowy Maine. I've just made an agreement to buy a 2014 FJR from a friend in Ohio. 13K on the clock, Corbin seat, top box, and sitting in a heated garage. Can. Not. Wait. Looking forward to the wit and wisdom of this forum. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Greetings from snowy Maine. I've just made an agreement to buy a 2014 FJR from a friend in Ohio. 13K on the clock, Corbin seat, top box, and sitting in a heated garage. Can. Not. Wait. Looking forward to the wit and wisdom of this forum. Cheers.
Welcome! You will find lots of great help here!

Reactions: Padre

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wit and wisdom seems like a high bar. Congratulations on your "agreement". Welcome!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Welcome from the Big Apple. You came to the right place. You will love the FJR it's a great machine.:grin2:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Welcome!

I got my red '14 in October - have put just under 2k miles on it since then.

What's the plan - are you waiting for the weather to get nice enough to go pick it up and ride it home? I imagine it would be a pretty brutal ride in January or February, even if you find a window in the weather and the roads are clear.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome!

I got my red '14 in October - have put just under 2k miles on it since then.

What's the plan - are you waiting for the weather to get nice enough to go pick it up and ride it home? I imagine it would be a pretty brutal ride in January or February, even if you find a window in the weather and the roads are clear.
Exactly. I've taken the trip from Ohio to Maine the first week of May before camping the way back. Had frost and near frost a couple mornings. So, I will take the trip mid-May. The two week difference should help....or not. :wink2: I will fly out and ride around a bit and then a buddy from here is riding out to meet me and we will ride back together. He is originally from Penn so he will visit family on the way out.

I bet you're loving your new ride!?!?!?!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome from east TN!
Thank-you. Man, what I wouldn't give to live in eastern Tenn. You get all four seasons and can ride most of the year. Our riding season is from May into October....possibly November. I've ridden some in April but the salt on the roads here is terrible for bikes.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Good idea to wait until May...Ohio is a tough ride right now lol

·
Registered
187 Posts
^ my man you are HARDCORE.

brrrrrrrrr.

·
Registered
163 Posts
That's what heated gear is for! Even down here in the high desert we can see temps dip into the teens from time to time.

Someone once told me: "There are no bad riding days...only inappropriate riding gear."

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
This is the closest I've come to the bike on ice thing.

I had spring fever and wondered what 17 degrees would feel like. Man I miss that Bonneville.
yea I wouldn't even ride on the stuff at the beginning of that video.

That's the thing though, like in the video, once you get out to the main cleared roads it's all good. I have that issue in my neighborhood, a private road we pay someone to clear. They clear it good enough for cars to get out, but it may be days after a big snow for me to feel safe riding my motorcycles out to the main roads on it with patches of snow and ice here and there. If my tires can make it to the asphalt I'm good, but riding across accumulated snow and ice ... I'll pass thank you.

The pic above is where I got caught out and was trying to get home, the last 5 miles of a 40 mile ride....and I must admit it was nerve wracking. Praying that I wouldn't go down. I wouldn't head out into that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts