FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Chris, there is alot of discussion from last year on the Road Attacks. I'll try to summarize as best I can. A particular fellow, from New Mexico I believe, tried them and loved them. He reported great wet weather and dry traction. As time went on the tires seemed to hold up well. Several people ordered them and tried them. Me being one of them. Not too long after A different rider noticed some squirrleiness on braking and reported about his negative experience with it. Through consult with Continental they determined the sidewall wasn't up to the task of heavy braking when the bike was loaded down with alot of weight. I don't recall how much weight was too much but....So they were deemed not suitable if they got really hot and you carried alot of weight and you had to do alot of repeated hard stops. Thats the way I remember it, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Having said all that I used mine for 7,000 trouble freee miles and enjoyed great traction. The most milesI had ever gotten on a set of tires before these was 4,000. On BT020's.

Hope this helps, Glenn

·
Registered
7 Posts
That was a pretty clear report above. Continental did replace many front tires for FJR owners and below is a reply from U.S. Conti rep:

Robert,
Thanks for your feedback! Conti Germany recommends the ContiForce Max for the front and for the rear they recommend either the Road Attack or the ContiForce Max. The Road Attack is going to give you more mileage and the Force Max is going to trade some mileage for higher grip. If you are happy with the performance of the Road Attack on the rear I would stick with it and run it in combination with the ContiForce Max on the front.
Safe Riding & Best Regards,
Greg Reich
Continental Tire North America, Inc.

I'm about done with 7,500 miles on R.A.s and they have been okay with only complaint of major (tire related) decel wobble, worsening as tire has worn. They always stuck well aggressively leaned over but could wander a bit under heavy braking. I have a free issued Force Max to put on and will most likely do the Road Attack rr again just to see what difference it makes but I really want to try the Pirelli Diablo Strada EMS

·
Registered
409 Posts
I've used the Road Attacks for about a year now. I have no complaints except I'm only getting around 5000 miles out of the back and about 7500 from the front. I did cook the rear RA running the Dragon's Tail in Sept. but I don't usually run quite that hard. I want to try the Pirelli Diablo Strada, also. Have heard good stuff about them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Conti R.A.s

...but James..., do you have any first hand experience regarding the Conti's??? :wink:

on some other various forums, I've heard that Avon's aren't necessarily the "cat's meow" (Q.C. balancing issues, decel wobble, weaving) but then, I haven't run them yet either.... I was satisfird w/ Michellin P.R.s but found them a tad heavy on tight twisty roads. The Conti R.A.s are better for aggressive cornering but wear about 2,000 miles less that Pilot Roads.
Both were excellent in wet.

No argument here, just feedback to the initial post "Conti R.A.s, anyone used these...?" :D

Roamer

p.s. a thread on sport-touring.net: http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/showthread.php?t=71996

·
Registered
234 Posts
Conti's

:( No, because the man that runs FJRTech.com tried them and hated them.
He, and others couldnt say enough bad stuff about them.
On the other hand, he rated Avons, First, then the Pilots, second.
So have alot of other FJR riders. Who put Thousands more miles on their bikes than I.
Personally, If momma tells me the burners hot, I listen.
Or in the case of tires I spend my money on products that others have tried before me, and approved. It save me both money and disapointment. :shock:

As far as Decel.Wobble with Avons, havent had a problem. That being said, Im very anal about maintance, and if you dont maintain the steering- head bearings you can expedt wobbles.
I know of three fellows who have yet to repack and re-torque their bearings!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Archival history.....

Re: Conti R.A.s, only a few had negative comments (FJR owners). I was initially one of them 'till I played with air pressures and finally passed them off as o.k. (for me). Many users were way more than satisfied with them and highly recommended them (and still do). One particular individual foul mouthed the tire, the company, the U.S Conti rep and anybody that had anything good to say about them. I believe this is whom you refer to....
Again, look around to some other sources and see what others are saying (ie: sport-touring net above link) I never base my decisions on what the most singular, outspoken person says. "wisdom is found in the council of many"

Re; Avons, again, look at archival msgs. and again, look on other forums. So many have shared Q.C. issues, wobbling even after steering head bearings were checked/ serviced. Other tires were used which didn't have the same issues. In talking w/ owner of Seattle Cycle Center (probably the # 1 seller/installer of tires in the PNW) he stated: " If you get a good set of Avons, the people love them but so many times, peolpe return them and they take way too much weight for balancing. If you get a good set, you'll probably like them"
I know one person from Sunnyside shop (had the conversation face to face) who is choosing not to use Avons and go back to Michelin P.R.s. Maybe you'll follow his lead???? :wink:

again, I sense this could become argumentive...., I just suggest one look at archives, get several sources, and be objective. I was just responding to the posters request, and I'll leave it at that and walk away. :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Tires

I have no idea why you would suggest for me to go back to a number 2 rated tire, when the Avons have worked so much better for me.
As already stated.
Better control, better milage. I ran Pilots prior to the Avons.
Nice tires, but for my bike, and my riding the Avons have out performed them. Both at the track, touring and in the rain and snow.

The FJR is sensitive to maintance. For best results its maintance interviles need to be kept up.
If you maintain you Investment, and why wouldnt you, Avons work great.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've used both the Conti Road Attacks and the Avons. The Contis worked fine for me and lasted a little longer than the previous 3 sets of Bridgestones but I was put off by how quickly the Contis went from usable tread to cords showing. I did a fairly lesiurly ride from Seattle to Mt. St. Helens, about 300 miles round trip. When I left, there was usable tread and when I returned and parked in the garage there were cords showing through in the center almost the entire circumfernce of the rear tire. That was a little scary. I switched to Avons and have been most pleased. I'm on my second set with no problems and wear is almost equal to the Road Attacks. I've done a track day on them with no complaints as well as sustained fairly high speed long distance running. A Saddlesore 1000, Bun Burner, and Bun Burner Gold. I'll most likely stay with the Avons.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Road Attack

Initially they felt great but they wore out quickly. Both the front and back tire were shot by the 5,000 mark. I foud that the FJR's weight, torque, and my riding style deformed the tires significantly. The rear tires on hte trailing edge and front tires at the leading edge of the tread groves. They always had great adhesion and stability they just weren't up to the task. The B020's wore out just about as fast and the front tire had the cupping problem so often mentioned, even at 40 psi.

I have switched to Avons and am very pleased, took no more than 20 grams to balance either tire.

·
Registered
44 Posts
conti attacks

The balance issue on the Avons is almost non existent. I have had two sets on plus the original stones and pilot sports and the Avons by far are the best tire in the wet. High speed sweepers through Oregon and Idaho not to mention all the great roads in California are no problem wet or dry.The guys that rate them are mostly IBA riders who put on more miles on their bikes in a year than most do for the life of their bike. So I believe the guys who have tried them all and come to an educated decision and a trial by fire method. Trial by fire means like 15,000 miles in 11 days or 3200 miles in 48 hours. These are the real test riders. And most use the Avons. The proof is in the pudding and not just some recreational riders giving their opinion. I wouldn't use a tire that was not recommended for the FJR,especially after Continental had to backpedal and change the tire altogether. As long as you were riding not to exceed the capabilities of that tire no one would ever know that it was incapable of what the Avons can do for the FJR. That would scare me to death to ride a tire that didn't match the performance level of the bike.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm on my second set of RA's, and still love them. I bought my first set before the controversy, and my second set after reading all the comments, good and bad. I got double the mileage on the rear (5200 m on stock, 10000 on the RA's) but I'm far from being a canyon carver. The front appeared to be good for a while longer, but I changed it at 10000 just because.
Checking and maintaining tire pressure seems to be a key with these tires. I carry a min. of 40 psi and a max of 44 in the rear. Running 36 to 38 in the front with no problems. I've never before used this much air pressure in a bike, but my FJR has caused me to do things I'd never done before - go figure.
John Lassiter

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
A few have mentioned Pirelli Diablo Stradas, and I loved them. For me they lasted about the same as everything else, but I've never gotten much over 3000 miles with any tires on the FJR (and I've tried about all of them, except Contis). I think there's a lot more to 'how' you ride, rather than 'what tire' you have.

:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Conti Attacks or not?

james1300 said:
AVONS! Great wear, and great handling!
Ive had Pilots and Metzlers, by fa,r the AVONS are the BEST!
Touring and Track days!
Two of us rode our FJ's to Cal and back to Maine on Avons. After 9000 miles the front is shagged, the rears took 8000 to wear out. They handled well in rain and hail and general curvey road blasting. A :lol:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Re: Conti's

AVONS! Great wear, and great handling!
Ive had Pilots and Metzlers, by fa,r the AVONS are the BEST!
Touring and Track days!
Must be the difference in US and EU roads and riding, cause Avons are typically considered budget tires here. As in ok and cheap, but just about everything is better except shite like Shinko.
james1300 said:
:( No, because the man that runs FJRTech.com tried them and hated them.
He, and others couldnt say enough bad stuff about them.
On the other hand, he rated Avons, First, then the Pilots, second.
So have alot of other FJR riders. Who put Thousands more miles on their bikes than I.
Personally, If momma tells me the burners hot, I listen.
Or in the case of tires I spend my money on products that others have tried before me, and approved. It save me both money and disapointment. :shock:

As far as Decel.Wobble with Avons, havent had a problem. That being said, Im very anal about maintance, and if you dont maintain the steering- head bearings you can expedt wobbles.
I know of three fellows who have yet to repack and re-torque their bearings!
If he tells you to jump of a bridge, will you? There is nothing more personal than tire choice. Just because it works for some, it doesn't mean it works for you. It pays to spend some money on a little trial and error to find the right tire for you. Just because you like what you have now doesn't mean there isn't something out there that will a be significantly better fit to your bike and riding style.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts