FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Samsung cellphone worked OK with my Autocom, but when set to AutoAnswer, it did not ring - just answered. So I'd be riding down the road and I'd just start hearing someone saying, 'Hello? Hello?" Not exactly a seamless joining of two technologies.

I will be purchasing a new cellphone in a few weeks and wonder which phones are more compatible with the Autocom. I am leaning towards a Motorola, but would like to know if it is going to ring to let me know I am receiving a call. Please list any such phones by manufacturer and model number in this thread.

Thanks!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Motorola Razr V3 series works with the Autocom, it can be set to Auto answer after 2 or 5 or more rings, I forget the numbers. Also text messages beep in your ear as does low battery.
I just changed to a Sony K750i which is slighty different. It has Voice Announcing of callers and you have to say Answer or Busy or similar before the phone answers. I've tried it with a Bluetooth headset, but not set up with the helmet and the bike yet. I can imagine it will take a bit of training to get it right at any speed. Until I do, the phone just rings, so at least I can return the call when I stop.

Wife has a Samsung D600 and I can't find an Auto answer function on it, although there is some sort of Headset setting...not tried it though.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, gents! It should be fairly easy for me to search through the Autoanswer menu items of a prospective phone to see its options. I like the Motorola option of setting for 2 or 5 rings. I'll check some others, too.

Looking again at my Samsung, I see that I can set Autoanswer to answer after 1, 3, or 5 seconds, not rings but it still seems like that means I should hear it ring in my ear before it autoanswers. I wonder if I've had my ringer set on vibrate and that is why I don't hear the ring.

I'll try it again when I get home and verify I'm not doing something stupid.
Anyone else ever try a Samsung? The model I'm currently using is an SCH-A650.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the autocom, am onto my 2nd phone connected through it and can offer the following thoughts on phones...

My previous Nokia 6260 was aweful on the bike (and generally). The flat joystick pad was hopeless with a glove but unfortunately a lot of modern phones are going that way. Nonetheless try to get a joystick that sticks up enough to be able to use it easily while riding. You don't want to be paying more attention to getting through a menu than the road. Flat key pads that offer no feel between buttons was another irritation. Being a flip phone was again annoying, I couldn't get a carkit mount for it so I rode with it flipped open attached to the bars.

Nokia cameras are typically not much to boast about. If this is important to you avoid VGA resolution which is crap, my current Sony K750i is 2MP which is great for a phone.

While bluetooth might sound like a good idea for connections it doesn't really add up IMHO. You would need to add a bluetooth adapter to the intercom to connect to the phone and if you want to listen to the radio in the phone you still need to connect a lead to the phone to act as the antenna (most phone radio's will not switch on without a headset plugged in).

I am really happy with my current K750i. I could have gone with the later W800 series but the joysticks are flat whereas the K750i has a nice protruding stick :oops: that is easy to operate by just swiping my glove across. In addition the phone software is much better than the Nokia.

My current setup is the Sony Ericsson K750i, mounted in a carkit holder, hooked up to 12V for charging and the autocom for phone calls & music (mp3, radio). I have set up voice dialling so I say a magic word then the name of who you want to call and it calls with no keys needing to be pressed. I have configured the buttons so one press turns on the radio, or a swipe of the joystick in one direction turns on the voice recorder so if I see something or have a brainwave (rarity) I can simply turn on the recorder and record a little voice memo which I can play back later.

K750i's have been replaced with the W800 & 810 so you should be able to pick up a new one at a discount.

WARNING - I severely hurt my hearing when I first connected the Nokia to the Autocom. I had it all hooked up, tested the sound by turning on the radio which played into the helmet speakers and thought it was all sweeet. Time for a phone call.... Put on the helmet, good so far, dial number, on connection the speakers (remember they are right against your ears in a helmet) let out a squeal that hurt, really hurt. Autocom were really helpful when I went to them for support and the answer is to connect isolation transformers between the phone and the intercom. Connect a 600ohm 1:1 isolation xformer between the mic output of the phone and the autocom, and another between the speaker output of the autocom and the mic input of the phone. This doesn't affect the audio but isolates the DC voltages between the two devices which was the cause of the sqeal. You have been warned, hearing is important :wink:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked out my Samsung with the Autocom again and it's not my fault! There is just no way to make the thing announce a call before it autoanswers it.

I'll be exploring other options at the cell phone store.

·
Registered
280 Posts
1. Isolate isolate isolate.

2. Question: anybody used any of the Crackberry units? I have an 8700c (BT) that I'll be using.

As for BT not adding up, consider this...

Scenario 1: BT phone, BT helmet/headset or BT module on AutoCom, BT GPS unit w/built-in MP3.

Evaluation
# of wires to connect everytime I get on/off the bike: 0.
# of wires I have to disconnect when I take my GPS with me at night: 0 (unless I power it off the bike).
# of times I have to remember to disconnect my helmet before getting my head yanked back while dismounting: 0.

Scenario 2: Hardwired phone, hardwired helmet, hardwired GPS

Evaluation
# of wires to connect everytime I get on/off the bike: 2 (helmet, phone), feeling like a Borg drone wiring up.
# of wires I have to disconnect when I take my GPS with me at night: 1.
# of times I have to remember to disconnect my helmet before getting my head yanked back while dismounting: every fricking time I ride, I'm dense that way in that when I'm thinking of other things, I rarely remember the mundane disconnect until it's too late and gaaaaaaa....yank, sometimes following by "snap" of a breaking wire or connector.

I'm BT biased because I use it a lot outside of motorcycling and have for 2 years now. I have a BlueParrot BT headset, but also a BT-capable home phone (the Uniden model) that also lets you use your BT cell phone if it's in BT range (great for long distance savings, IMHO). So, the flexibility and portability that BT gives me when mounting/dismounting is worth it. The rest is a tradeoff, but I have yet to encounter sound issues directly related to the BT link quality, unless I'm on my BT headset and the cellphone I'm linked to is over 30' away in another room in the building.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hoolio
Please tell me your not gona be riding and looking down at that contraption on your handle bars , are you?
We have (and I am sure other countries do ) a big problem with car drivers lorries coaches tractors , you name it , driving while using the dam phones.
I personaly , not while out on my bike , but as a pedestrian, crossing the road , who nearly got hit by a driver using one. I did'nt move from the road , he leant out of car to have go at me, .... I grabed phone and smashed it on road. He reckoned he was going to ring police. Never heard naff all more.
My wife has a lead that we can plug into intercom , it works very well, but used it once .

·
Registered
280 Posts
FYI, the Autocom sales rep I spoke with yesterday strongly hinted that they are dropping their Bluetooth module (made by Nokia). He cited high cost and horrible support from Nokia.

Sadly, he didn't have any insight on whether they'd find a different BT module provider later on.

Odd to see a technology catching on so broadly but seemingly so abandoned still in developing MC solutions...guess we're all cheapasses or purists who scoff at such contraptions...

·
Registered
177 Posts
For those not aleady aware, the Starcom1 BT module can be used with Autocom, its cheaper and very easy to fit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
@raygellenbeck - I have no problem with BT itself and all your scenario's are sound. You still need to plug something into your phone if you want to listen to the phones built-in radio which was one of the two issues I had with BT. The second was the cost of the BT add-on for the Autocom. Together it didn't add up for me. If the radio and cost isn't an issue BT is great. I used to be supporter of Nokia but I think their products today are becoming sh**. Their PC s/w is sh** and it doesn't surprise me that Autocom are dropping their BT units if they are involved with Nokia for them.

@alman - When I was a youngster I made the mistake of looking at a digital odometer gizmo on my pushbike. I thought I evaluated the road ahead, looked down only for a few seconds but next I knew I was being loaded into an ambulance after hitting the back of a track laden with planks (I hit the plank ends overhanging the rear of the tray - ouch). I learnt that lesson well. I use the phone 99% of the time to just listen to the radio, no interaction required. The phone is mostly used to receive calls, I very rarely make them while riding. Definately safety first when it comes to attention taking farkles.

@malki - great tip on the Starcom1 BT module.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hoolio said:
@raygellenbeck - I have no problem with BT itself and all your scenario's are sound. You still need to plug something into your phone if you want to listen to the phones built-in radio which was one of the two issues I had with BT.
Nope, the radio portion is handled via the GPS, not the phone. Unlike your setup, my tunes are coming via the GPS's built in XM and MP3, not my Blackberry (although it will distract me in other ways, I'm sure). The GPS, being BT as well, xmits the sound via BT back to my helmet or bike's comm system, whichever of them I've BT'ed.

components, by mission
1. BT helmet or BT-enabled comm system - get the BT signals from other devices to my ears
2. BT GPS/XM/MP3 unit - feed me everything I need to hear. Since this unit can also control the BT phone, my *theory* is that I have one interface, and ONLY one interface, to take my attention away from the normal scan/routines while riding.
3. BT phone - link up to the GPS unit as a slave, feeding/receiving phone-related voice stream as needed.
4. Non-BT Radar detector w/remote display unit - as the sole wired member of the "portable electronics on my bike" team, ye olde Valentine 1 will keep watch for yon ticket-hungry bears...

My big research challenge now is figuring out where and how to mount and power all this stuff, hence the posts about the improved stator/rr and the likes.

As for the module, yep, the Autocom one is expensive and after speaking with an Autocom sales rep, I'll probably pass on it due to issues they have with Nokia. I'll do some shopping around, but I'm still going this route in pursuit of the no-wires dream. Reality, however, may rear it's ugly head along the way and force me to compromise on a pure BT goal, but I'll at least try.

Cheers.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Update: Autocom is in the testing stages of bluetooth helmet units as we speak. Realistically, that means probably a year or so, but it is coming. they are also currently testing the Garmin 2820 in the lab to determine the best setup/configuration to use to best utilize what it has to offer. For those pondering the Zumo, results of this testing will be pretty applicable there, I would imagine.

Ya know, I really need to find a job where I'm not idle 90% of the day. I almost feel guilty drawing a paycheck...(famous last words 2 days or so before suprise termination)...

·
Registered
73 Posts
My Motorola V 710 works fine with stock Autocomm cord- could be used Bluetooth also...

·
Registered
353 Posts
I got one of them "You have been watching this topic" e mails.
But I see my question was never answered.
Hoolio .... Do you ride along looking down at that Killer device. Alias a mobile phone......?
Surely not?

·
Registered
280 Posts
My Blackberry works fine with the autocomm audio cord. I have it "velcro'ed" to the fairing to the left of the gauges. No looking down :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts