FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just trying to get some honest opinions, selling my 86 goldwing interstate, looking at kawasaki concours c-10, or older fj1200 have owned a concours, will be mostly a commuter bike, there is one I'm looking at that already has a tail pack,for lunches, and coffee thermos,not many long rides, I'm looking at a 91 jf1200 with 27k compared to a 02 c-10 thanks

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Hello, just trying to get some honest opinions, selling my 86 goldwing interstate, looking at kawasaki concours c-10, or older fj1200 have owned a concours, will be mostly a commuter bike, there is one I'm looking at that already has a tail pack,for lunches, and coffee thermos,not many long rides, I'm looking at a 91 jf1200 with 27k compared to a 02 c-10 thanks
Geofd,

I believe the 1991 FJ1200 runs on 16" tires, which will give you very few (maybe three?) choices for tires. Of those few, I would favor Avon radial tires over the others. Newer FJs have 17" rims, and will have a much wider set of tire choices.
There is a forum dedicated to the FJ series, and there is a lot of good information there.
The FJ 1200 is a great bike, but some would add panniers or a tail bag, these days. :cool:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Never owned a Concours but probably like some others here did commute on a FJ1100 for several years. Put some sort of luggage behind you and it did fine. That said you're sorta getting into vintage territory with those bikes and all that entails. If you're looking for something to use as a commuter I wonder if there's some other options that might serve you better. Unless you're truly in love with either of those two models let us know your price range and how/where you see yourself using the bike. If you're open to suggestions I'm sure you'll get many people here offering opinions and willing to help you best spend your money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just my .02 Im on my 3rd C10(Ive had at least one for the past 20+ years) Good bikes They do require a bit more more frequent maintenance than the fjr but once you do it a couple of times its not bad 94-06 are the same except for color Stock wheels/tires can be an issue I converted over to17s Stock carbs do not have overflow tubes so you have a potential for hydrolock and a bent rod (Shoodaben Engineering can handle the fix Good support community if you are a DIYer

·
Registered
683 Posts
Wow, it’s not even throwback Thursday ;)

Reactions: skippy344!

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,379 Posts
So... just curious but why on earth would you come to this forum to ask about a bike from 1991 when the forum specializes in a bike first impoeted in 2003? Surely there are better choices of forums.

·
Registered
683 Posts
So... just curious but why on earth would you come to this forum to ask about a bike from 1991 when the forum specializes in a bike first impoeted in 2003? Surely there are better choices of forums.
He probably figures with all the old guys here he is more likely to find people who remember those bikes. The only problem is that a lot of us are so old we have CRS :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
OP, I had an FJ1200 about 3 decades ago.

Great bike, put about 30k miles on it, competent sport bike (at the time) while still being a huge mile eater, I routinely rode 120-250 miles at a time on it.

One think I do remember though, is it got very hot in the summer, especially in traffic. Enough to make it run rough.

Liquid cooled bikes (like the FJR) are much nicer.

That goes double if you live in a warm climate.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Geoff !,,,,Geoff ?,,,, 1 post and now MIA, maybe just a troll!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts