FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay

I have a question... Whats the difference between different Yamaha FJR model years? I know the 06 has standard ABS, and they have the new clutchless model. and what year did they start making the first FJR with the current plastics style that is on it now?

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
It first came out in Europe and Australia in the 01 model year, we got their 02 model in the US in the summer of 02 as an 03 model. it remained much the same thru the 05 model, although in 04 they added ABS, slightly larger rotors and the glove box. The 06 is the first real evoluton as far as body work and ergonomics is concerned, though there are no mechanical differences.

glenn

·
Registered
82 Posts
The 04 model also got a closed Fuel Injection system that stopped the tank getting hot.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The 04 model closed Fuel Injection system is not retrofittable from what I am been told.
Bugger. :(

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
FJRKYM said:
The 04 model also got a closed Fuel Injection system that stopped the tank getting hot.
I didn't realize they ever changed the EFI. I wonder if the '06 has the same basic technology as the '01 Euro bikes (or '04 US?) or if it has been seriously updated.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
FJRKYM said:
I wasnt aware the injection was changed? How did you find that out?

·
Registered
94 Posts
No mechanical differences???

G8,

Excuse me, Longer swing arm, lower differential ratio, linked brakes and more weight.

People are kidding themselves if they think the character of the bike has not been "adjusted".

BAGSTR

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
FJRKYM said:
Nuh-uhh. Not true.

They changed a wire on the harness to make the CO bypass more difficult to do, but the system is unchanged. No claims of the FI system changing for '06 either.

:)

·
Registered
82 Posts
They changed in 04 just like the 04 YZF-R1.

They both got a changed fuel pump that doesn't blow the bypass fuel into the tank.

My mechanic advised me, he attended the technitions famil course on them so I guess Mr Yamaha told him.

I trust him as he is rated for 2006 No 3 Yamaha mechanic in the world.

If you don't beleive me check the bike and fuel pump part numbers!

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
FJRKYM said:
They changed in 04 just like the 04 YZF-R1.
Well, I have an '04 R1. It has a completely different motor, frame, wheels, brakes, bodywork, fuel system, swingarm and just about everything else... a complete model update from '03.

I haven't heard of any changes in the FJR's fuel pump in the US... but the fuel injection system and ECU are identical.

The last microfiche I looked at listed most US part numbers as FJR US '03 - '05. But a different fuel pump wouldn't have caught my attention, either

:)

·
Registered
82 Posts
What I meant was the 04 FJR and 04 YZF-R1 both got the new closed loop Fuel Injecton system. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts