FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300ES
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally have had enough with UClear Motion 6 and looking to upgrade, can anyone recommend a system that links easily, has good sound quality, connect ability with other manufacturers, link capability with at least 4 to 6 other riders or basically the unicorn of motorcycle communicators. Any input will appreciated, thanks.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,764 Posts
I recently ditched (along with my regular riding pals) my aging Sena 20's and went Cardo PackTalk..... not tested yet, but the mesh system for group intercom will be better.
You are going to have fun pairing up with other brands regardless...... that has to be done via bluetooth..... meh, mixed reviews on that. good luck.
The only true universal and longer range is GMRS/FRS radios..... Motorola MU350 is bluetooth, all you need is a PTT switch. They sell a BT one if you don't want a wired PTT. Can BT it to your headset, better if you have a second open phone pairing channel to do that. More of us should get back into this, as there appears to be no universal mesh standard on the horizon.

Reactions: Sp00ks

·
Registered
329 Posts
Several of my friends have Sena 30S units, and love them! These units have the mesh technology, which I believe makes it easier to connect with other brands.

·
Premium Member
FJR1300 A, TMax 530 DX, Tracer GT900, XS850, Niken
357 Posts
We have around 10/12 guys (max 15) using the Packtalk Bold at the same time (especially when touring) and it works really well. The mesh system is far, far, better than the G series (G4/G9/G9x). It is still more or less line of sight, but they daisychain with many riders in the group.

The rds on the radio is rubbish/non functional here in Europe, but the bluetooth phone connection is excellent. People don't even know you are on the bike. I would recommend the 45mm JBL speaker option if you wear earplugs as the volume is higher.

The new Packtalk Edge is shipping shortly with mesh 2 so it will be interesting to see what improvements have been made.

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300ES
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback we did get the JBL speakers with the kit and I have yet to install them in the my new Lazer Evo modular helmet, fingers crosse my speakers pockets are deep enough. Looking forward to riding with it. I do 2 1000km trips ever year see having the radio would be nice. Ride safe.

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300ES
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So two findings today on the Card, first the teardrop mic cable is too short and I discovered that the alternate boom mic is unserviceable, Really sloppy engineering 2 more inches of wire would have been perfect, I’ll be riding with it tomorrow. The bad boom mic is just poor quality control. I’ll update tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,764 Posts
So two findings today on the Card, first the teardrop mic cable is too short and I discovered that the alternate boom mic is unserviceable, Really sloppy engineering 2 more inches of wire would have been perfect, I’ll be riding with it tomorrow. The bad boom mic is just poor quality control. I’ll update tomorrow.
What helmet you mounting it to.... I just mounted mine on a Neotec and had to keep it biased rearward, used the boom mike mounted between the cheek pad and the shell using the self adhesive velcro pads (and clip) they give you. Came out ok, almost perfectly centered..... the little corded mic won't work with a modular...... unclip cheek pad and try again? I will agree they don't give you any extra cord, another inch woulda been nice....

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Have mine mounted to a Neotec 2 flipfront and the boom mic, fitted as Ray did - no problem

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300ES
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What helmet you mounting it to.... I just mounted mine on a Neotec and had to keep it biased rearward, used the boom mike mounted between the cheek pad and the shell using the self adhesive velcro pads (and clip) they give you. Came out ok, almost perfectly centered..... the little corded mic won't work with a modular...... unclip cheek pad and try again? I will agree they don't give you any extra cord, another inch woulda been nice....
I have a Lazer Monaco Evo (Klim in North America) modular helmet, best helmet I have ever had. The Cardo boom mic is pouched or I would use it, even though I’m not fan of booms. To get the mic positioned properly it should sit close just below your lower lip, so you avoid all the moisture that comes from your mouth talking/breathing and it’s always in the way when you put the helmet on. I have sent an inquiry to Cardo about the boom assy. The UClear s had 2 mics and their wires were about 8”long and came off each earpiece, 2.5 to 3 inches more lead on the tear drop assy. would have been nice. Road test today, I’ll post my findings. Should be a gong show, a bunch of old farts standing around playing with buttons in a parking lot trying to pair them.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,576 Posts
Should be a gong show, a bunch of old farts standing around playing with buttons in a parking lot trying to pair them.
I always marvel at the technogeeks trying to get that stuff to work. I usually tell them we'd all be better off learning sign language, it'll take less time.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Should be a gong show, a bunch of old farts standing around playing with buttons in a parking lot trying to pair them.
:ROFLMAO: Anyone that's been there can relate. "Can you hear me?"

"No. Press twice."

"Can you hear me now?"

"No. Wait. Press that first but hold it longer."

"Testing."

"What about now?"

"I'm going to the bathroom."

"Can you hear me?"

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300ES
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:ROFLMAO: Anyone that's been there can relate. "Can you hear me?"

"No. Press twice."

"Can you hear me now?"

"No. Wait. Press that first but hold it longer."

"Testing."

"What about now?"

"I'm going to the bathroom."

"Can you hear me?"
Right on, you nailed it!

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300ES
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I always marvel at the technogeeks trying to get that stuff to work. I usually tell them we'd all be better off learning sign language, it'll take less time.
I finally have had enough with UClear Motion 6 and looking to upgrade, can anyone recommend a system that links easily, has good sound quality, connect ability with other manufacturers, link capability with at least 4 to 6 other riders or basically the unicorn of motorcycle communicators. Any input will appreciated, thanks.
So there is a mic gain adjustment on the Cardo app, so decided to download the app on my Mac. Apparently Cardo doesn’t know that Canada I it’s because the app is not available in Canada for iMac’s. Before you ask I don’t have a smartphone nor do I ever want a smartphone, they are a pain in the butt. So I’ll have to wait until after my swim and call the local dealer. I even moved my VPN to the US and no joy in the App Store or on the the web site. The Bullsh*t-O-Meter is starting to get high, not worth all the aggraviation. Even the typing software on this website is messed up.
PS my wife’s maiden name is “Murphy”

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
As the mic is noise cancelling, it has a very narrow cone of acceptance. It must be placed directly in from of and almost touching your lips, with the yellow arrow side facing your mouth.

The random button pressing and "can you hear me" stuff famous with the older G series, has been dispensed with in the Packtalk series. Once you are added to a Group it works seamlessy and automatically when you power on.

Powering it off, on the move with gloves on however does require the manual dexterity of a magician though.

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300ES
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As the mic is noise cancelling, it has a very narrow cone of acceptance. It must be placed directly in from of and almost touching your lips, with the yellow arrow side facing your mouth.

The random button pressing and "can you hear me" stuff famous with the older G series, has been dispensed with in the Packtalk series. Once you are added to a Group it works seamlessy and automatically when you power on.

Powering it off, on the move with gloves on however does require the manual dexterity of a magician though.
I went for scoot this morning and the tear mic works well with the mic on the liner of the helmet facing down towards my mouth. Haven’t tried the ICS function yet, but that will happen this afternoon. Also there is a mic gain adjustment on the app if I can ever get that on my Mac, apparently it’s not available for iMac’s in Canada. I’ll post the results after the ride. Thanks for the feedback. It’s a difficult world if you don’t use a smartphone!

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300ES
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Paired all the communicators in mesh mode and I was able to adjust the mic gain with my iPad , had to attempt it 3 times but it finally paired. Sound quality is good seamless connectivity in multiple rider configurations, overall the unit worked as advertise. Good day for sure.

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300ES
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just a quick update about the Cardo PackTalk. So far I’m highly impressed, good battery life, dynamic audio level control is great and riders can join seamlessay. One odd occurrence, the intercom disconnected for some reason during a ride, cycled the power and the units reconnected again with no issues. This system beats the UClear system hands down, gave away the UClears to my daughter for their snowmobiles, maybe they will work better!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts