FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basic facts:

'04 with almost 16K miles. No mods - no farkles. Only bike I have owned or driven. First 15 it was a beautiful machine. Heat was noticable but livable. Handlebar vibrations I got used to. Bike got soo smooth after 30 minutes that when I got home I sometimes just started at it... like it couldn't be real. Had scheduled dealer service calls. Changed oil myself every 2K. Yamalube from dealer.

Around 15K mi. that all changed. Started noticing footpeg vibrations at higher revs that were never there before. Shortly after, the bike started the surging phenomena that others have reported. Mine will lose power for a second then surge back. Usually happens at 30 to 50 mph / 2, 3, 4th gear. Doesn't happen at highway speed or during acceleration. Very disconcerting while in a turn. Frankly, it's too scary to take riders any more.

Took it to my local dealer. New dealership - thought they would have diagnostic equipment. I explained the symptoms. They told me they would only check what I told them to check (ie. if I thought it was a clutch problem then they would take apart the clutch). They treated me like crap. Charged me >$900 for the 16K service and told me it solved the problem. Kept it for a month for good measure.

Of course, the problems remain. In fact, the heat seems to be worse. Tank is now almost untouchable.

So I started this as a new thread because I am wondering:

1. Could these problems could be related (footpeg vibrations/ surging/increased heat)? Could they all be caused by running too lean?
2. Is a PCIII likely to solve the surging and vibrations??? Is this something a non-mechanic (ok, I am a neophyte) can install?
3. Does anyone know a dealer with good FJR techs or a private FJR mechanic in the Central Florida area?

I am ready to fix it myself if I have to. Would prefer to hire someone who knows what they are doing. Appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is impossible to tell with just limited info. The increased heat and surging can certanly be tied--could be a lean condition--and the vibration "possibly". You would have to have it diagnossed to tell though.

A powercommander might fix it--certainly will the lean condidtion,and they are easily installed. No mechanic required. You do need a laptop to download the map, and the ability to follow well documented instructions.

If you know you want a powercommander, I would give it a shot. If you are merely hoping it will fix it, I would find another dealer. Just got mu FJR used so can't tell you a great one. I bought from Leesburg Honda (also have a Yamaha dealer) and they treated me week, were knowledgable

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
I would not simply try throwing a PCIII at the problem. It sounds like something is really wrong if it loses power and acts unpredictably in turns.

What RPMs seem affected?

Have you ever had the tank up? It sounds like there could be an issue with a pinched vacuum hose. Or a throttle position sensor (difficult to diagnose, inexpensive to fix).

Is it possible that anything could have been sucked into the air intake under the seat? I've heard of the corner of a paper towel getting sucked into the intake snout and causing horrible running.

Could a varmint have crawled into the airbox? It happens.

What did the dealer say when you asked him why 900 bucks didn't fix it?

That's all I can think of at the moment.

:)

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
The bike has a pair of counterbalancers. they need to be properly adjusted. That would account for the vibes but not the heat and dodgy fueling though (I don't think).

·
Registered
949 Posts
Sounds like the symptoms are all fuel starvation related. The additional heat and what sounds like periodic "lean out" suggest its either on the supply side (injector problem or injector output ) or the inlet side (blocked fuel filter, blocked fuel line, blocked fuel line at the tank, crimped / blocked fuel tank venting circuit). The blocked lines are the simplest to check but will take time. Sounds like you've already got a solid bill for an incomplete job. Make sure you get a detailed, itemised bill for any future work.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I though I was the only one.

Mine seemed to change after 20,000 Km.

The heat I never noticed before more vibes etc.

I feel better now mine is normal.

I'm working on the problems as per these page - heat is good during winter though.

:D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Surge and Vibes

It would cost you nothing to try jumper mod and + 7 on the Co
Smoothed mine right out :D All the info on how to is at your fingertips on this site :shock:
Regards
Esme

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.