FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted quality GPS with map display and voice commands. Maps down to street level for UK and mainland Europe and at least major roads of the US. Music, phone and Internet access. Memory card media and data storage. All major PC functions in the one unit. The whole package had to swap easily from bike to bike and the car. Fit on or close to the handlebars slip into pocket or handbag and connect to the Autocom pro7. Maybe not providing all of these functions at the same time, though GPS, music and phone had to be able to work in harmony. Target price £150 this is how it was achieved.
O2 XDA2 phone pocket PC, supplied free with phone contract. Head to ebay for 1GHZ SD card £40 (eventually you will want more) then search on ebay for tom-tom 5 software. Best deal I found was on a single DVD cracked application all of the maps enhanced POI's including speed cameras for £15 and apparently all pre-registered not sure that it's totally Kosher, but ho-hum, bargain or what! Next on the list is GPS receiver, not forgetting that we need something to mount the XDA in as well. I turn to ebay again and discover the Holux CR100 combined cradle and receiver for £80. The unit is vehicle powered and charges the XDA at the same time. The CR100 is supplied with a screen mount that's cool for the car, but I don't fancy the sucker mount's chances on the bike! So I opt for making up a small stainless steel plate that fits the slot for the screen mount on the back of the CR100 drill and tap two 4mm holes in the flat rear side of the top yolk (triple clamp) and secure the stainless plate with two socket bolts. I added fluffy piece of Velcro to act as an anti-chatter damper between the plate and the cradle. I also fitted small pieces of Velcro on XDA and CR100 to guarantee everything stays in place no matter how bad the road surface. I made up my own interface lead between the XDA and the Autocom for £7 (£28 from Autocom) including ferrite collar to kill some of the ground loop interference. I kept the power lead that was supplied for the CR100 for the car and made one up for the bike with an inline suppressor to kill the rest of the interference/ground lop noise cost £15. Drawstring polythene bag takes care of weatherproofing.
The whole shooting match came to the grand total of £157. In-flight entertainment with built in communications and navigation system, "priceless for everything else, there's Mastercard"

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will get the hang of it eventually

Ian
Thanks. All I could get was code to appear. I have added the other shot to my test page. Would you please add the second post to your reply.
Regards
Esme

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.