FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ordered a bolt kit, like this one on Amazon? I'm wondering if the red of these bolts matches the red of the 2014 FJR, or if the bolts would look out of place.

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Has anyone ordered a bolt kit, like this one on Amazon? I'm wondering if the red of these bolts matches the red of the 2014 FJR, or if the bolts would look out of place.
They would look cool but I'm weary of buying mystery chinese bolts off amazon especially if my life depended on them functioning properly and not breaking.

My experience with chinese fancy fasteners is that they are all garbage and to avoid them at all costs. You won't be happy having to drill out a broken fastener or losing a part driving down the road.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
8,772 Posts
All those kits are anodized aluminum screws, so it's on you if you overtighten one and break it off..... and as with a lot of anodizing, it fades.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
All those kits are anodized aluminum screws, so it's on you if you overtighten one and break it off..... and as with a lot of anodizing, it fades.
And the red usually fades to pink and you'll be wanting to remove them ASAP. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Radiostatic,

Anodizing is a highly corrosive process. If threads are CUT into the screw, intergranular corrosion already has a place to get started. Even when new, I would question the strength of those fasteners. Depending on where the screw is going, dis-similar metal corrosion (seizing) may be an issue - even if it goes in nicely, it may not come out very well, after a few months.

Anodized aluminum bolts are really not worth the trouble they may bring, IMHO. Yeah, the color does fade out fairly soon, as well.

Reactions: radiostatic

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They would look cool but I'm weary of buying mystery chinese bolts off amazon especially if my life depended on them functioning properly and not breaking.

My experience with chinese fancy fasteners is that they are all garbage and to avoid them at all costs. You won't be happy having to drill out a broken fastener or losing a part driving down the road.
I briefly thought about the strength of the screws, and in my mind I'm thinking most of the bolts aren't under that much stress. Like, there are a lot more bolts and fasteners in the fairing that is needed to keep it together. But the thought of a bolt breaking off and having to drill it out....

Yeah, this definitely isn't a good idea. Thanks for talking some sense into me. And the spammers attaching themselves to this thread is probably an omen, too. :laugh:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I briefly thought about the strength of the screws, and in my mind I'm thinking most of the bolts aren't under that much stress. Like, there are a lot more bolts and fasteners in the fairing that is needed to keep it together. But the thought of a bolt breaking off and having to drill it out....

Yeah, this definitely isn't a good idea. Thanks for talking some sense into me. And the spammers attaching themselves to this thread is probably an omen, too. :laugh:
Buyer beware...It looks like this thread is clean..I havent seen any spam of late...
Aside from cheap anodized chineses fasteners...Beware of cheap tie wraps...they break easily and will actually lose tension over time...because the cheap ones are made with polypropylene and other cheap plastics..
3M brand is supposedly quality as the materials used is Nylon plus good quality tie wraps have a little metal stay.:wink2:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Be wary of them, and you won’t have to be weary of them. I think they’d look fine. But I wouldn’t use them in any place where they have an important function.

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
Buyer beware...It looks like this thread is clean..I havent seen any spam of late...
Aside from cheap anodized chineses fasteners...Beware of cheap tie wraps...they break easily and will actually lose tension over time...because the cheap ones are made with polypropylene and other cheap plastics..
3M brand is supposedly quality as the materials used is Nylon plus good quality tie wraps have a little metal stay.:wink2:
That little metal clip on the tie wrap is not always a Good Thing. It's fine on the motorcycles but Not Good for an electrician. You really wouldn't want to use a tie wrap with metal in it when tidying up the terminations in a 13,800 Volt piece of switchgear. There are high quality tie wraps that don't use the metal stay.

But you are absolutely correct, the 3M are always of high quality.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts