FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife Jane and I just returned from a vacation trip to Montana and Glacier National Park. I rode the FJR and Jane followed in our Subaru. She was willing to take day trips on the bike once we were in Whitefish, MT,
but was not ready to ride all the way there. This represented great
progress. In the past several years, Jane would not ride - no how,
no way. Then, with considerable trepidation, she went on a
Fall ride with me, then actually enjoyed 3 rides this Spring.

We stayed on back roads through CO, WY, ID and MT. From Golden, CO, we went over Berthoud Pass (11,650 ft - 3550 m altitude) to Winter Park, Frazer and Granby, then a short hop to Rt. 125. Rt. 125 is a wonderful back road with very little traffic. I haven't seen more than 7 or 8 cars along the 55 miles to Walden, in North Park a high (7500 ft - 2285 m) plateau surrounded by 12,000 ft mountains. From Walden, we crossed into WY, going through Encampment and Saratoga and then to Rawlins, WY. This region is the high, cool desert that we often picture as the old West. The trip on I 80 from Rawlins to Rock Springs, WY was the only interstate we had to bear on the whole, 2700 mile trip.

From Rock Springs we went north on 191 to Hoback Junction, then west
into Idaho and stayed in Idaho Falls. Rt 191 follows parts of the
Snake River and is very scenic. We went to Craters of the Moon
National Monument, then backtracked to Rt 93 that we rode to Salmon,
ID. From there, 93 takes you to Kalispell and then Whitefish, MT. My
FJR became a dual sport as we rode through tens of miles of
construction work. It was mile after mile of packed dirt and gravel -
not fun.

Once ensconced in Whitefish, Jane rode pillion to Glacier National
Park for a 120 mile round trip. Then, we rode to Eureka and down along
the east side of Koocanusa Reservoir to Libby, MT. We returned on a
poorly maintained but asphalt Forest Service road on the west side of
the reservoir. We didn't see one other vehicle for 50 miles along that road! That round trip was 240 miles and tested Jane's riding limits.

We returned by going on back roads of MT, south of Glacier. We
followed those minor roads through Helena and to Bozeman, MT. From
Bozeman, we went to Gardiner and the North entrance of Yellowstone National Park.
Yellowstone was a delight, and we finished the day in Cody, WY (named for Wild Bill Cody). The land on the ride from Cody to Rawlins defines the high desert. The last day was spent riding the Wyoming desert, then the Rocky Mountains from Rawlins to home.

I put 2700 miles on the FJR on this trip. I may be unusual, but I
found the stock seat to be comfortable enough for several hundred
miles at a sitting.

On one stretch in Wyoming, I was leading Jane by about 1/4 mile when I
noticed a rise ahead. Beyond the rise was a vast straightaway with no
sign of antelope or black helicopters. So, when Jane came over the
rise, I was much further than 1/4 mile ahead. Much further. I
explained that I did go above the speed limit, just a tad (suggesting
that I must have been going at 72 mph in the 65 mph zone). Given that
I was a mere speck in the distance, she didn't buy that for a minute.
OK, so maybe I was doing 73 (heh, heh).

Some photos can be seen at Sony Image station:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2104773870

Ron

·
Registered
223 Posts
Glad you had a good time and took the time to tell us about it. I envy you, wish I could get my wife to do that much. I did some of that same area in early June on the way back from Cal., rode just shy of 6K miles and had a great time as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sweet trip. One way to get the SO to ride the good stuff with you is have her fly in/out eg "I'll meet you in Anchorage hon and you can fly out of Whitehorse a week later" :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll tell you all a little secret if you promise not to reveal it. 8)

I much prefer riding the FJR without a pillion. :twisted: It's nice that she will ride with me now and again, but I much more prefer the handling of the bike without the extra 110 lb on the back of the bike. Also too, I am much more relaxed riding when I don't have to worry about the precious cargo.

So be carefull what you wish for fastwally. :lol:
Remember, this is just between you and me.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Ron said:
I'll tell you all a little secret if you promise not to reveal it. 8)
No worries, Ron.

BTW - what's her phone number? :lol: ;)

:)

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Speaking of pillion riding. it is the annual "Wifes Ride" for me tommorrow. We go to either Durango or Jackson Hole. This year is Jackson. The women will put up with it because there is shopping, movies and restaurants at the end of the rainbow. We do have a chase car in case of monkey butt or rain. About 8 couples this year. Looks like good weather. The Givi trunk and back pad came in Monday. Perfect timing. They had just released the matching 06 color top for the 46 series trunk.
Most of the time I'm with Ron, solo is a lot less hassle, but I do admit the motel is funner with two.
Thanks for the ride report.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pluric said:
Most of the time I'm with Ron, solo is a lot less hassle, but I do admit the motel is funner with two.
Thanks for the ride report.
The motel is more fun with two? I don't understand. Anyone want to explain? :mrgreen: :twisted:

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Well Ron you see.... men have this, well thing and women have this other thing really they have several other "things" and when they really like each other then their things want to play. Then some bees and maybe some birds too come along... anyway that's how my parents explained it to me. They quit explaining it to me when I asked "Are you talking about bumping uglies?"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry guys, but my better half rides her own (attached). Just got the FJR this weekend, will probably have to hide it when I leave the country next month as she wants to 'try it' this weekend.

Sounds like a lot on fun on the West Coast, but we have great riding here on the East coast at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains (reason/excuss for the FJR).

It is a battle never won as to who would navigate the chase vehicle, so we never end up with more than a weekend bike trip (no cages).

This is my first 'sport bike' and the site has been really great, hope to hear more in the future.

JR

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Before moving to Colorado in 1985, we lived in Virginia for 15 years. I LOVE riding the mountains and plains of Colorado and Wyoming (and Montana and Idaho and New Mexico), but I do have a very strong desire to ride in my old, Blue Ridge stomping grounds. The closest I have come is a motorcycle trip to Northern Arkansas two years ago.
I almost went to the West Virginia FJR gathering this summer, but work outside the country demanded my time and energy on those dates.

Ron
JRs FJR said:
Sounds like a lot on fun on the West Coast, but we have great riding here on the East coast at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains (reason/excuss for the FJR).

It is a battle never won as to who would navigate the chase vehicle, so we never end up with more than a weekend bike trip (no cages).

This is my first 'sport bike' and the site has been really great, hope to hear more in the future.

JR

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ron,

I'm from Westminster and we did about the same ride this summer. We however went on up to Lake Louise and Banff. We covered about 3600 miles in about 11 days.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi, Gerald,

We considered going into Canada and up to Banff. Ultimately, Jane wanted to stay in one place for several days and explore the area. That would also give her the chance to do day trips with me. So, we stayed at a wonderful bed and breakfast in Whitefish for several days.

Please feel free to pop me a private message or email, and perhaps we can get together for a weekend ride.

Regards,
Ron

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ron,

Even though I've looked at the website for several years, I'm not real savy on the private email thing. A ride sounds good some weekend.

Your post just sounded real interesting to me because we had done almost the exact same ride. We however flew our wives to Calgary and they just road around the Lake Louise and Banff part of the trip.

I sell Subarus in Boulder and so the Subaru thing caught my attention as well.

Gerald

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gerald,

To send a private email, click on 'Profile' under any posting I have sent. In the profile, there will be a button labelled 'PM.' If you click the 'PM' button, there will be a window that looks just like the one you used to send a post to the FJR site, except that it will go to my private mail box on the site and will not appear on the thread.

As far as I am concerned, Subarus need no sales pitch. While all the SUV makers are scrambling around trying to make a fuel efficent SUV, and while Volvo touts its miraculous 'all wheel drive' as an option, Subaru has been filling that role with its standard vehicles since the '80's. We've had Subarus since 1990. Remind me to tell you about the Subaru Outback wagon that outpaced a Porsche at one of the local racetracks.

Ron

1 - 17 of 17 Posts