FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just over 25,000 miles on my '04 FJR and am noticing the clutch grab point is getting further and further away from the handlebars as i release the lever. Is this a sign of clutch wear? There is no clutch slipping yet.
Also there seems to be a kind of clutch basket noise that's very hard to describe. But anyone that owns or did own a Suzuki V-Strom 1000 will know the noise i'm talking about. Kind of a chuffing or pulsing noise that coincides with the spinning of the clutch basket. On the FJR, this noise is not near as loud as it was on the V-Strom.
I noticed the above symptoms after i did a 8500 mile trip in July. Nothing seems to getting worse and the bike runs strong otherwise.
Any suggestions.
Thanks, Cary

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Clutch wear varies a lot from person to person.
Put over 86,000 miles on my old FJR and the original clutch plates were still working fine, with no untoward noises :cry:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll just keep an eye on things and not do anything as it's not getting worse and the clutch is not slipping.
Maybe it's just the bike developing it's own character as she ages.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
@gr8teyes & Cary - while you're checking if the clutch cable has stretched, you may as well adjust the carbies too!

·
Registered
721 Posts
and don't forget to tighten your spokes too! :lol:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Have you bled the clutch fluid yet? It too should be refreshed yearly with brake fluid and fork fluid IMO. Could be water in the system is causing some of the symptoms you describe re lever action. Clutch pac noises could be any number of things, or nothing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys are too much :roll: . I'll change the clutch fluid out this winter and that might improve the feel. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts