FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my 06 FJR but I have noticed a problem with shifting. It is tight and seems to be very "clunky" or should I say rough. I have had trouble from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. I have to upshift 2 or 3 times to change gears(not always though). I am taking it in for inspection tomorrow. Is this normal and will it smooth out or does it need a linkage adjustment. I had heard FJR's shift quick and smooth.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Make sure your boot is letting the shifter relax all the way between shifts, and don't pull the clutch in so far and do a quick shift. Lazy shifts are always clunky. The clutch only has to come in a half inch or so.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
The 06 is my third FJR, and I am also having a little trouble getting clean gear changes. The clutch action is different to my first 2 FJR's.

I find I have to consciously pull the clutch lever all the way to the bars when changing gear. Also, rev the engine a bit higher between gear changes, to at least 4000 RPM, and change gear quickly, this bike is not a cruiser.

Unfortunately, doing this will put you way over the speed limits in city riding.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had the same problem. Too many years on HD's and Guzzi's and I have forgotten how to ride smoothly. It's coming back to me now, so I expect you too will "learn" how that FJR likes to be shifted. When I do it right it's as smooth as butter on a hot bun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not sure if it will help with hjarmitage's issue, but since it looks like nobody has mentioned this yet, I will: Shifting is noticeably improved on pre-'06 models by the simple replacement of the stock shifter arm with an R1 shifter arm (part # 5JJ-18112-00-00). Shorter throw, takes minutes to install, bolts right on, very popular farkle. Don't know if it will fit on the '06 but definitely would be worth looking into.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I think Yamaha has forgotten to document the very "positve shifting" in any of their brochures...now....and on previous models. I rode my new '06 home tonight and the engine stalled on my first take-off from the shop. It definitelly feels very different from my old FJR ('03). A little while later on I changed my technique....and shifting was a lot better. I found that preloading the shifter on changes and only pulling the clutch in half was was a treat!!! I also think that you become so focussed on technique that after a while that every shift is crap! I now spend my time enjoying the rest of the bike.

I think the new FJR is fantastic....can't wait till she's all run in.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The same part fits fine on my '06 : R1 shifter arm (part # 5JJ-18112-00-00).

·
Registered
8 Posts
New to 2012 FJR

I am a new owner of 2012 FJR and find it too shifts "clunky". My wife has a Honda nt700v, it shifts very smooth. I have heard using 100% synthetic oil will help, don't know, will try slight preload on shifter. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I found that shifting my 07 smoothly at low to medium speeds was difficult until I installed a power commander. This was caused by the throttle feeling like an on/off switch.

Most of the time I don't use the clutch when I up shift - put pressure on the shifter, release throttle, gear changes, re-apply throttle.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I am a new owner of 2012 FJR and find it too shifts "clunky". My wife has a Honda nt700v, it shifts very smooth. I have heard using 100% synthetic oil will help, don't know, will try slight preload on shifter. Any other thoughts?
Try running MOBIL1 15W50 oil, just changed to this and I'm shifting smooth as butter, much smoother than the Yamaha oil that was in there from the dealer. Also the 15W50 is NOT "Energy Conserving" so no clutch slippage.

·
Registered
417 Posts
"Lightly preload the shift lever with your left boot before you disengage the clutch and she'll shift just fine."

I know that I failed at properly quoting this....but I find preloading the shift lever works. I find the problem most noticeable shifting into 3rd.

I may try a different oil when the time comes.

This is the first "big" bike I have owned, so I just assumed (and didn't worry) it wouldn't shift as nice as my KTM 690.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also just purchased a new 2012 FJR, it's absolutely awesome to ride, and had the same hard clunking issue. Tried the slight pressure as mentioned in a previous post and it works. Thanks for the tip.

Looking forward to gaining more insight as I ride more.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My '05 was pretty clunky. I had read that the Gen 2's shifted better. My '13 is slick. Easily the best shifting bike I've owned, so far. We'll see what happens as the miles rack up. My Sprint shifted rougher as it got more miles on it. It would also hit false neutrals between 4th and 5th sometimes! :shock:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts