FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I did a nice 1 hour lunchtime ride in the middle of my workday on my '03 1300C (Southern California) while taking a prospective buyer out on a test ride for a '97 Police KZ1000 (which I might say is an amazingly nimble and hard pulling bike)

On the way back to the office, the KZ ran out of gas in the middle of the streeet as the traffic light turned green. :oops:
So I followed it into the gas station to help fill up.

I pulled up, cut the engine, but left the key 'On'.
After a 3 minute refuel, I got back on the FJR and hit start.
The starter turned, the motor fired up without incident, but the clock and trip meter both instantaneously reset to 12:00 and 0 miles. :?

Temp gauge was showing 4 bars with the fan blowing.
It was a sunny day, 70F (21C)

Does anyone know what just happened here?

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Yep - not too uncommon. It happens when the starter draws so much current that the dash electrics momentarily get zero juice (that's the laymans version, some techie will give the technical version if they feel they need to).

It happens in the following circumstances (not all are necessary at the same time):
Battery getting old,
Very hot conditions, and bike switched off for a short period only, allowing 'heat soak' into the battery, reducing it's efficiency (see old board, search for 'Torch' [user name] he explains heat/batteries well),
Extra current draw, like fan on, or having left the lights on (using kill switch or side stand to stop motor, not ignition).

Sometimes the starter will crank only once, and not start. Leave it stand for 3 or 4 minutes, and it probably fires right up, with dash settings all at zero.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm relieved to know it's not just me. The clock reset on me while at Daytona a month or so ago & I was scared the rest of the time away that the bike was seconds from disaster!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Apart from the low battery, it also happened on my bike when my thumb slipped on the starter button so it only made momentary contact, followed a split second later by normal engagement. Most offputting. Spent the next ten minutes trying to remember how to put the clock right :x

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most offputting. Spent the next ten minutes trying to remember how to put the clock right
Thanks Marshman. I agree that the most frustrating thing about this is remembering how to set the clock.

·
Registered
170 Posts
happens to me often enough that I don't bother to re-set the clock any more -- frustrating sometimes
Battery not that old though - happens when I try to re-start mostly after gassing up when the bike is hot

·
Registered
35 Posts
It seems that every bike I buy from the dealer the Battery terminals are loose last set were finger tight. This can cause the wire to break contact when you hit the starter button causing everything to reset to Zero. check the battery terminals for about a 15 lb. torque..

·
Registered
170 Posts
david1300 said:
"Very hot conditions, and bike switched off for a short period only, allowing 'heat soak' into the battery, reducing it's efficiency (see old board, search for 'Torch' [user name] he explains heat/batteries well),"

This would be the reason it happens to me.
I've read torch's explanation - it's a good one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts