FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a SP2610 and use Metro Guide Canada v4 and North American City
Navigator V5 (I travel a great deal in Canada and the US).

I would like to upgrade the software. Which is more complete?

City Navigator North America v7
or
MetroGuide North America v7

I have tested City Navigator North America v7 in a store and the database (points of interest, adresses, ...) is not as exentsive as my old software! Is the Metro Guide v7 better than de City Navigator v7? :?

Thank you,

Gatorbiker

·
Registered
737 Posts
Gatorbiker said:
I have tested City Navigator North America v7 in a store and the database (points of interest, adresses, ...) is not as exentsive as my old software! Is the Metro Guide v7 better than de City Navigator v7? :?

Thank you,

Gatorbiker
Gator
That wouldn't make sense, the UPDATE v7 not being as extensive as the old software. I ordered the "City Navigator North America v7" and was told it is MORE complete than the old v4 or v5. :roll:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Strange but true

I know it does not make sense, but I realised that Garmin reduced the amount of information in the data base when selecting the entire Map of Canada. In MetroGuide v4 Canada occupied 299 megs while it occupies only 49 Megs in City Navigator v7.

Obviously, sales representatives at a Garmin shop told me that the City Navigator has better "compression capabilities"; however they were not able to explain why for all the searches executed, MetroGuide v4 provided results while often CityNavigator did not; or that MetroGuide v4 provided multiple results while CityNavigator provided limited 1 or 2 results.

For example, when searching for a local university (University of Quebec at Chicoutimi), MetroGuide provides all 4 campuses addresses while CityNavigator does not even know that it exists. Other searches gave similar results.

So I wonder if the Metroguide North America v7 would be superior to the CityNavigator v7 whose Maps are updated but databases are fairly limited.

Thanks

·
Registered
737 Posts
Re: Strange but true

Gatorbiker said:
For example, when searching for a local university (University of Quebec at Chicoutimi), MetroGuide provides all 4 campuses addresses while CityNavigator does not even know that it exists. Other searches gave similar results.

Thanks
I wonder if the lack of info, on the City Navigator, is only the case north of the US border? :roll:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good point Petey

You have found the answer! Thanks!!

Continental US on the North American City Navigator v5 = 1368 megs

Continental US on the City Navigator North America v7 = 1428 megs

The US is as extensive (if not more than the last version) but the Canadian one is quite limited… oh well! That is another good excuse to come ride in the twisties south of the Border

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.