FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody purchesed this yet? Wondering if it is worth updating to.
Have V7 now but never noticed any difference from V6 although V8 is way down on price from last years issue.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I got it included when I upgraded my Garmin 2610 to a 2720 a few months back.
The routing does seen to be better, my old unit used to insist on trying to take me on a detour to get back to the main roads from the next village to where I live, making a 5 mile trip home up a straight road into a 10 mile trip, new version just takes me straight home the quickest/shortest way.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You can get the CD from Garmin FOC and have a look on a PC. You only need the unlock code to download it to the GPS unit

·
Registered
721 Posts
But to get a (legitimate) unlock code will cost you $75. I'm currently waiting on delivery of my update to V8 so should be able to give an opinion soon.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I sent an e-mail to Garmin asking if I was entitled to the new V8 free of charge for my 2610.

This is their reply:

Hi,

It is Garmin's policy to allow a period of time prior to the mapping update official release date during which if the unit is bought then the owner will get the update for free.

Therefore although the release date is 28/02/06 the cut off date for free upgrades is 01/01/06.

If you are not entitled to the free upgrade the price will be $75 USD.

Your discs are in the post.

To unlock your update cd please go to www.garmin.com.
On the left hand side is a quick link section, click on mapsource unlock, Click on step 1 then click unlock cd. This will take you to a page where you have to enter as a returning customer with your previous customer/registration/coupon code.

Once entered you will get the option to unlock update cd. Follow the instructions and this will generate the 25 digit code that you need to unlock your maps.

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe Support.

Regards,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts