FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just requested and received an update disc for the above from Garmin but the cover slip says it is only for the 2620 or 2660. Does anyone know if this is the correct disc or if they've sent me the wrong one? When I insert the disc it starts up and says it will update the hard drive on my 2620!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hang on probably answered this myself. Just been to the Garmin site and the 2620 or 2660 update DVD is listed separately to the normal update CD so they've obviously sent the wrong one. Anyone in the UK need an update DVD for their 2620/2660 (you will need to pay for unlocking)?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Somehow I find that difficult to believe. Firstly if it applied across all units that use the mapsource software why say it is only for the 2620/2660 and list a separate one for everything else? Secondly when you load the disc it asks you to connect your 2620 so it can update the image on its hard drive. Without a 2620 connected you cannot get it to install unless you know sometihing I don't.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Ian,
I have City Nav Europe V7 on my SP111 and it works fine but had to bang in a 256chip as it's far more detailed.

But it didnt mention anythink about 26xx range?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's another reason why I think its the wrong disc. I know of other people that have updated and they didn't see this either. The card won't be a problem, I've had a 256 for a while and have two 128's also.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well, the software and maps are identical for both devices. However, I did not know they put a device check in the software. Which makes arguing about it a mood point.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have just (last month) got a 2720 and that came with V8 of city navigator on DVD

Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
E-mail from Garmin

Dear Sir

Thankyou for your patience the past few months. Due to unexpected high demand Garmin no longer have any supply of the version 7 upgrades. Garmin will not be producing any more upgrades to version 7 due to the fact that version 8 will be available shortly.

You will be contacted by Garmin via email when version 8 becomes available. This email will ask you to reply to [email protected], I would recommend that you reply to me instead, providing me with all the relevant so you will receive the update as soon as it becomes available.

With Best Regards,

Ollie Stone
Senior Product Support associate
Garmin (Europe) Ltd

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ian
If you already have Version 6, then you are probably best to wait for Version 8, I found very little difference between 6 & 7 and certainly not worth the money if you have 6 already.

Malki

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep already got 6 and have held off for a year getting 7 thinking it probably wouldn't be worth it. When there was no announcement about 8 at the beginning of the year (unlike previous years) and the price had gone down to $75 I thought maybe there wouldn't be an 8 for a while. But as ever they will be doing an annual update at no doubt twice the price.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
While we're on the subject of Garmins products, they recently announced that they would be releasing topo maps of the whole UK that include routable street map info as well.
This link should take you to their web page. Word is that it'll cost around £149 for Ordnance Survey mapping for the whole UK, with smaller sections available later in the year, but those prices haven't been decided yet.

Unfortunately the webpage doesn't yet say which GPS units are compatible :roll:

More info here

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The TOPO US isn't currently compatible with any of the common units used here other than the Quest.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
That's the US Topo for you :wink: :lol:

After a couple of years working on getting new hardware out, Garmin have been looking at the map data production process and have updated their Mapsource tool set so that new releases are a great improvement on the standard of their earlier products. The incorporation of the Navteq routable street attributes and POI information makes for a much more useful product as well.

Unfortunately it looks like theres no info for the IOM or NI, so you don't get to follow the TT course in 3D :cry:

However, as long as it works on the iQue I'll be happy

Oh look, it does, I'm happy 8)

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Latest info from Garmin Europe

"Dear Smart
Version 8 is coming out at the end of this when we get the CD's in we will send a copy out to you."

I think they mean V8 will be out end of Feb :lol:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Been waitig to hear when the update was going to come out.
There is a rumour that Garmin are dropping the City Select product line and GPS units that have used that up to now will be able to use the new City Navigator NT. Haven't seen anything from Garmin themselves though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts