FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the light come up, due to running the bike through the gears on centre stand, cleared by the dealer.

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/#/topics/145231?page=1
Since this is my first post here, maybe I should introduce myself. I'm 53, living in Sweden and last year bought my third FJR ina row. I've been around this forum for a couple of years and never stopped being impressed over the professionalism here.

Now to the topic: For my two first FJRs I have made the same action as Damir i.e. been running the rear wheel on the centre stand with different gears and never had any problem at all. Yesterday I made the same action with my present FJR, a -19 AE model (ES in USA/Canada) and there it was: A bright and clear engine light failure.

After some googling I found out that several people in Scandinavia have had the same problem with Yamahas last year so it might be so that Yamaha have added this failure function quite recently.

Called my local Yamaha store and it seem like they can fix this within "no time".

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
8,702 Posts
Yes it can be fixed quite easily. With '16-up you got OBD and lost the ability for simple DiAG info/codes/clearing via the cluster buttons.... technology... and with Gen3 ('13-up) with the addition of TCS and cruise, it now compares front and rear signals more closely and causes error codes..... I'm gathering turning TCS off may prevent it if you're going to run it on the centerstand, not sure on '16-up. Those with an OBD scanner can try it and tell us?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
A little update on my check engine light. I was able to get my motorcycle into the dealership this afternoon. They ran a diagnostics and cleared the code. Also test electrical system(Simple Dynamic Inspection). Whatever that is... I also found out, the motorcycle before I bought it, had "Side Stand Switch Reprogrammed. Also Engine Control UNI recall done. The end result, for $56 the engine light is out! 🙂

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
8,702 Posts
So now, get yourself an adapter harness and an OBD reader and you can do it yourself quite simply.... cost ya roughly ~$30 or less.

Reactions: FJRChi and N4HHE

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you pulled the battery cable you can set off the check engine light. Mine came up as throttle position sensor, Ecu power loss and a host of other codes.. I forgot to turn off the key and killed the battery.. you’re dealer sucks, he reset the code and did nothing else.

I am starting like my dealer a little more, he resets mine for free.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
CEL on a motorcycle under warranty should be a free check and reset no matter the cause.

Yamaha should pay for it even if it was operator error because Yamaha's design is defective. If for no other reason then no provision made for operator to clear a common and easy error.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts