FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what they made the 06 windshield out of but it scrathes when you clean it. Yes, I know how to clean a motorcyle windshield and what to use on it. This one must just be made of plain old plastic.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Daytona FJR said:
Yes, I know how to clean a motorcyle windshield and what to use on it.
Hmmm, mine still looks really good (2K miles, several cleanings). I clean it with distilled water and a towel, then polish it with a microfiber cloth and the Yam brand spray polish. Sorry yours got scratched. :(

·
Registered
126 Posts
I dont know if you can blame Yamaha for scratched shield.

My shield was for sure wiped down with a nice rough and dirty shop rag prior to me picking it up.

Improper cleaning will wreck any shield.

Never ever even try to clean your shield until its wet. Use only stuff safe for plastic to clean it.

Here is my drill:

Really wet the windshield good.

Spray some very diluted bike wash/car wash soap of both sides of shield using spray bottle

Give it a few minutes to soften and loosen the crud. (but dont let it dry)

Then hose it off

Then and only then, you can wash the shield with mild soap and the softest wash mitt you can find.

Dry with 100% cotton towel. Dont even think of a shop rag or worse....a paper towel.

I generally apply a very light coating of wax to protect the shield and make the shield easy to clean next washing.

Your shield will love you (and look great)

(This is really the procedure I was my entire bike with.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.