FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2014 FJR 1300 ES
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,This is my first post. I just acquired a 2014 FJR ES with only 11,000 miles, looks like just came off showroom floor. Been riding bikes since 1968, a long time ago. Anyway, I have been thinking about putting a GPS on bike. When researching mounting options, ram balls, etc is all that was discussed. I had an old Garmin Nuvi 50 sitting in a drawer for a couple of years that worked fine, but I had upgraded to a newer model. Got it out and decided to try the old suction cup mount that I had used before with no problems. Seems very solid and I really like the mounting location compared to bar mounted locations. While it is not the most up to date model, it should work for 98 % of the places I will use it for, and cost me nothing.
White Light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Plant

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Light Automotive design

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,724 Posts
IMHO it'll probably be fine tho I'm not a "stick-it-on-bare-paint" guy. I'd get some clear film to put down first. I used a Garmin nuvi 780 for yrs and yrs.

A quick search will give you dozens of different mounting ideas. Here's 2 current threads on that very subject:

·
Registered
2014 FJR 1300 ES
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used this same mount on the tank of a 2006 Triumph ST for years with no paint damage, but I then I only had it mounted during trips. Same with FJR, will be mounted only when needed.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Mind as well smear RTV silicone on the suction cup, your GPS mount might last longer than 30 seconds on the road that way.

I was going to say mount onto your tank with wood screws...I still chuckle when I think of a neighbor's kid who asked me "whats the green stuff spilling into the passenger footrest area on my pickup"? He just finished installing his new car stereo. He used 3 inch wood screws to fasten the stereo and managed to drive a screw into the heater core.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,165 Posts
As long as both surfaces are clean should stick..... however, for peace of mind maybe use a tether.

Reactions: BigOgre and Oldjeep

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
In September 2018, I went on a two-week guided tour of the European Alps on a rented R1200RT. I used my Garmin and suction mount on the tank. I lightly licked my finger and smeared it on the suction cup beforehand, just to create a better seal, and never had a problem with it not staying in place.

Reactions: rbentnail

·
Registered
180 Posts
In September 2018, I went on a two-week guided tour of the European Alps on a rented R1200RT.
Do you remember a fellow named Wendell in your group?

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
There wasn't a Wendell in our group. There were only six of us; one from Portland, OR (Leland) ; two from Canton, OH (Rick and Loren); two from Australia (David and Andrew), and me. I assume Wendell was on another tour.

Reactions: Recalled

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do you think looking down at your tank regularly is a good, safe idea?

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,724 Posts
I've always thought that that is one of the silliest statements motorcyclist make. What's the difference between glancing at a gps and glancing at a speedometer? Or a tachometer? Or in a mirror? Or at a passing vehicle? Or anything else? Geez Louise, don't you ever look at anything around you when you're riding?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've always thought that that is one of the silliest statements motorcyclist make. What's the difference between glancing at a gps and glancing at a speedometer? Or a tachometer? Or in a mirror? Or at a passing vehicle? Or anything else? Geez Louise, don't you ever look at anything around you when you're riding?
I believe keeping the eyes on the road is the best practice. Having a GPS located higher up, above the dash, would be preferred over looking down at your crotch frequently.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,724 Posts
Rationalize it to yourself however you need to. To each his own. What I'm saying is do what's right for you but don't think for a moment that the same is right for everyone else. We're all adults, we can agree to disagree can't we?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts