FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
My password is saved on this computer but not on another. Can you instruct me on how request my password or how to get a new password.
Generally when one attempts to log on they are asked if have forgotten their password but I'm not seeing this.
Please advise. Thanks,
Rusty2

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,001 Posts
My password is saved on this computer but not on another. Can you instruct me on how request my password or how to get a new password.
Generally when one attempts to log on they are asked if have forgotten their password but I'm not seeing this.
Please advise. Thanks,
Rusty2
[email protected]
"saved on this computer" can mean a couple different things. Are you saying you have a password manager of sorts on your computer? What OS? What browser?

To change your forum password here, hover your cursor over Tools, then click User CP then Edit Your Details.

·
Premium Member
2014 ES
1,581 Posts
"saved on this computer" can mean a couple different things. Are you saying you have a password manager of sorts on your computer? What OS? What browser?

To change your forum password here, hover your cursor over Tools, then click User CP then Edit Your Details.
Russ, on the CP page, one has to know and enter their password to change it. I, as you, took it as either his browser, or password manager is on the other computer. Rusty needs to go to that computer and look at his password manager to find the password that is working. Rusty there is no other way that I know of.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,001 Posts
Russ, on the CP page, one has to know and enter their password to change it. I, as you, took it as either his browser, or password manager is on the other computer. Rusty needs to go to that computer and look at his password manager to find the password that is working. Rusty there is no other way that I know of.
Yeah, I thought the same about the password manager and asked about the OS and browser. If we knew that maybe someone could help him out. I'm familiar with Fire Fox's.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I thought the same about the password manager and asked about the OS and browser. If we knew that maybe someone could help him out. I'm familiar with Fire Fox's.
Sorry guys, not good to ask a question and then go silent. Got side tracked.... What happened, was our home was burglarized and my iPad (among other things) were taken. I had a file on the old iPad that held my passwords. Unfortunately I had no such file for the one at work. Now, I've replaced the iPad with a new one. As for the OS and browser, I'll check but I think Russ has me on the right track with his instructions. Through that I saw that I have not updated my email address and again,,, no way to access the old email : ( Thankfully, my work computer logs me in automatically. Maybe tomorrow I'll take that computer home where I will have more time to work on this.
Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
4,004 Posts
An excellent reason for LastPass. It encrypts the stored passwords but shares that encrypted blob with your other computers (if you know the master password). No longer stored in unsecured browser text files) and access moves between computers/phones/tablets with ease. It also can generate complex passwords so they are harder to break, and easier to keep unique to each visited site.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Russ, my work computer,,,, the one I can access this site on, is running windows8 and is using google chrome. If it's not already clear at this point, I'm not too computer savy.
I do not think I have a Password Manager. I had simply instructed this site (on this computer) to "remember me" regarding my user name, while assorted passwords were stored/hidden in a file that I created on the stolen one.
As mentioned it looks like I'll need that password to create a new one.
What do think Russ, should I just create a new user account?
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
An excellent reason for LastPass. It encrypts the stored passwords but shares that encrypted blob with your other computers (if you know the master password). No longer stored in unsecured browser text files) and access moves between computers/phones/tablets with ease. It also can generate complex passwords so they are harder to break, and easier to keep unique to each visited site.
Good tip!
Thanks Bounce

Reactions: bounce

·
Super Moderator
4,004 Posts
Some might be cheaper but the only other that I have seen 3rd party audits on has be OnePassword. Most of the others put a pretty GUI interface on what is a plain text file (like your browser does) so there's no protection. If you computer is compromised, then so might all your passwords everywhere. The advantage of something that even the makers can't "look" into.

LasatPass and OnePassword both are browser extensions as well as being able to log into your account via the web (again encrypted blobs of data are all that go over the wire) so you can always get to your passwords. You can even print out a listing for putting in your safe.

·
Premium Member
2014 ES
1,581 Posts
Thanks bounce. I'll look into it. I was letting chrome store all my passwords, then realizing that they might not be too secure. I researched and was right. On chrome, firefox and the like, they are slightly secure, but not all that secure. I looked into Brave browser, but I usually stay away from TOR or torrent type products due to dark web.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts