FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just barely escaped disaster at lunch trying to get the bike up on its centersatnd. This being my first I don't know the secret. It feels like it will fall the the right when I stand on the left side with the frame handle... do I use the front or back brake at all.... this is a small thing but, I could use some help...

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
If you are touching either brake while putting it on the centerstand, you're going to have trouble. The brakes are on the right with the centerstand on the left, I don't even see how it's possible to touch the brakes while deploying the centerstand.

I would hold the left hand grip with my left hand, the handle with my right, push the stand tab to the ground and get the centerstand feet both on the ground, then, while pulling up on the handle, step hard on the centerstand tab and...she's up.

Not sure what else to tell ya...

·
Registered
181 Posts
1. Chose a parkingspot with level ground
2. With your left hand firmly holding on to the left handlebar and your right hand firmly on to the frame handle, step firmly on the centre stand lever/pedal/tab with your right foot (keep your left foot firmly on the ground half a step behind you)
3. Lean bike slightly to the left and to the right (i.e. towards and away from yourself) to ensure both of the centrestands legs are firmly on the ground.

Now comes the easy bit.

4. Put all your weight on your right foot (still on lever) whilst keeping your left foot half a step behind you.
5. Be amazed at how easy it was.

Some points;
You should not have to lift the bike up, the lever will use your bodyweight to do the work for you.
By keeping your left foot behind you, you form a triangle between your foot and the bike's wheels. It will therefore be stable, if you loose balance of the bike you are allready redy to catch it.
When you come to take the bike of the centrestand you simply push it forward, just remember the triangle mentioned above.

AND finally, if you parked it on the centrestand in a slope, please get someone to video it so that we can get a laugh.

:ale:

·
Registered
185 Posts
You should not have to lift the bike up, the lever will use your bodyweight to do the work for you.
And I though that it just worked for me becaus I am such a "big boned" bloke.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Tony said:
And I though that it just worked for me becaus I am such a "big boned" bloke.
Hey, let's face it. If you weren't you wouldn't be riding a FJR :lol: :lol: :lol:

But then again, my better half manages to get my mistress up on the centre stand and she is half my size so it must be down the physics and the way the lever is designed, something about applying Archimedes' theories I belive.

Oh, my God. I need to get a life, where did I leave that drink of mine??

:ale: :ale: :ale: :ale:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank for the tips. I will give the triangle method a go in the morning. Also, I will leave the slopes alone for I have no video tape (does anyone still use tape? :wink: )

Again, I do appreciate the advice. Will let you know the result.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Viola!! Success!

It is pretty easyand I'm only 180 lbs. Triangles, are they not a beautiful thing. I did take her off the centerstand by sitting on her, pushing forward while easing the center back..and slowing everything down nicely with the fron brake. Works great!

Still won't try the incline thing.

Now, does anyone know where I can find the service bulletin about the infamous ticking.... I think I have the issue? :?

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Yates, congrats on the new ride, here's wishing you many happy miles and smiles

yates4 said:
Now, does anyone know where I can find the service bulletin about the infamous ticking.... I think I have the issue? :?
As regards the tick, very, very unlikely. No 'tickers' were reported at such low mileage. Relax, ride it and enjoy it. BTW, the 'genesis motor' does have a natural tick which is normal and usual, so, as we say here, no worries, mate.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks David.

Thanks eases my mind. Alot! Maybe I've just been reading way much on the issue. I picked her up late Saturday and every day since.

No worries :wink:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Well, I'm 140lbs or so and disabled with only one hand - and I can get her up (err - the bike I mean) - no excuses now Russell - don't need yer dodgy shoulders, just ballerina type feet and a good grunt.....

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm only 122 lbs and I've been amazed how easy it is to put the '06 on its center stand.
I had a 1100 suzuki before and I wasn't able to put on the center stand alone.

Great bike !
:D :D

·
Registered
185 Posts
This is turning into a "I'm more knackered than you" thread; me I'm ok apart from a sore tailbone, 16 of our English stones & I can get it up with no problem - bike as well :wink:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry, didn't think such a newbie question would spark more than 2 responses. I just want her (the bike) up without disaster. LOL!

I would suggest taking a look at The Viking's tips (above)....the grunt will help too.

Got her up in one shot. Solo!

Hey, that's no fun. :crylarf:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Rabbit1300 said:
Well, I'm 140lbs or so and disabled with only one hand - and I can get her up (err - the bike I mean) - no excuses now Russell - don't need yer dodgy shoulders, just ballerina type feet and a good grunt.....
Never done any ballet, Rabbit, maybe that's the problem. But if you've ever had a frozen shoulder, believe me, you don't want another! The pysio took 4 months and by the time it was better, muscles I took for granted had gone AWOL. I could barely throw 3 darts. So now if I need to get it up, the wife gives a helping hand (she's a got a good 3 stone on me). Alternatively I could try and put on another 7 pounds, but that seems unlikely after all these years!

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
russell arthritic said:
So now if I need to get it up, the wife gives a helping hand
Sounds fair enough to me :crylarf: :crylarf: :crylarf:

·
Registered
192 Posts
center stand

I didn't realize we had so many engineers on the board and so many puny little people :D Come on you guys start lifting some weights.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Don't judge a book by it's cover

I'm a puny looking lethal weapon - crouching tiger, hidden dragon

Or was it laid back pussy, extravert lizard - I can't remember.....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Re: center stand

number2 said:
I didn't realize we had so many engineers on the board and so many puny little people :D Come on you guys start lifting some weights.
As a good Engineer the only muscle I use is my brain :p , when I need something lifted it will be done by crane (or apprentice if not too heavy)

:ale:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts