FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wintertime and our garage gets crowded as the Missus desires her fairly new car to be indoors and out of the windshield-scraping-in-the-morning zone.
Aerostich has had listed for many years a centerstand dolly as they call it. You put the centerstand on the sunken center part of the dolly and you can move the bike around on it.
These run nearly $300 with shipping. Though it seemed a good idea, the cost was a bit prohibitive.
Then the Missus found not one but two in a local Craigslist ad for a very low price, I seem to recall less than $200 for both. It required an evening automobile excursion into Chicago's mid-north side which, when in the company of a lifelong professional chef, as I am, means finding a hip, cool, or exceptional restaurant for dinner as well. To cut to the chase on that part, the place in question was line-out-the-door and kind of snooty too, so we wandered down Clark Street a bit and scored a nice, higher-end Italian place that held her interest well enough.
Getting the bike on the dolly required a little bit of learning and caution: they really mean it when they tell you to lock the dolly's wheels with the footbrakes.

You park the bike on the sidestand, position the dolly under where you think the centerstand's feet will land without fouling the arm on the dolly (it's humorous but not funny when you miss and get stalled halfway up with a heavy bike), and then rock it up.
On the Versys 650LT with the aftermarket T-Rex centerstand, it's pretty easy. With the FJR, it's very helpful to have placed one of the tires atop a piece of 3/4" plywood or similar. The added altitude of the dolly's bottom is enough to make it rather challenging if you're not an NFL middle linebacker or equivalent.
Then, if you're smart, you'll use a tiedown strap or something to lock the centerstand in the forward, deployed, position. I found out right away, as I went to move the skated Versys forward and it rolled right off the stand, surprising me. Yeah, getting surprised moving the Missus brand-brand new Versys isn't good.
Attached are a couple of photos of the FJR skated. The trick to moving the bike around, since the front tire is still planted on the pavement is to reset your hostler computer to the rear, not the front, being the steering end. For example, to get either of our bikes out of the spot where they've been shoved tight against the wall is to grab the back end and pull the rear of the bike outwards, then backing up to get the front wheel where you want it. Once mastered, it's surprisingly easy.
For difficult storage situations, this is a great thing. I don''t see it as an everyday, seven days a week thing, it's too much of a pain to set the bike up. However, the previous owner used his to store his KLR650 in his apartment building somehow. Your situation may vary.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2014 ES
1,604 Posts
I had bought a new one on ebay for $75. Typed in motorcycle dolly. They have on listed in the title as a center stand dolly and show a Harley tire on it! Ha! They don't know what they're selling I guess. They shouldn't call it a park-n-move in the title, that's trademarked by a company called Legal Speeding, and LS's is MUCH better quality. Mine off of ebay works, I like the idea of locking the stand down, if those little wheels hit a crack in the floor, the bike will release from the center stand if not locked.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've used the same Park-n-Move dolly since 05' and it still works great. It's been in constant service through four FJR's, an R1200RT, and my current R1200RS. I'd be cautious when using the knock-off versions with an FJR class motorcycle as most have a 500 lb weight limit. The Park-n-Move model is rated at 1100 lbs. Spend the extra $ and you'll sleep better. Too much at stake to save a few bucks. Just my .02 cents worth.

Bought mine here:

http://www.pashnitmoto.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=park-n-move

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've used the Harbor Freight motorcycle dolly:

https://www.harborfreight.com/low-profile-motorcycle-dolly-95896.html

for both my Honda ST1100 and the FJR1300. It's not the best but it's functional. Most of the bad reviews are from Harley riders saying the the kick stand won't fit in the trough. I had the same issue with my VStar 1100; however, since the FJR (and ST1100) don't lean as far over, the kickstand sits in the trough just fine. It's the easiest way to park the bike against the garage wall all winter. Just need a little caution while pushing (push the dolly, not the bike) and a smooth garage floor.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have one. I use it too. Cramped garage, steep driveway prevents backing it out. Expensive but they do serve a purpose. Last time in I was able to ride in and over it as I came up my driveway (ya can’t see it to aim until you’re almost on it). It worked. I was feeling especially brave after a long ride. I basically knew where it was when I left (from being on it). Thankfully my memory was intact lol
Motor vehicle Automotive design Asphalt Automotive wheel system Vehicle

Reactions: FJRChuck

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
I am enjoying my Park N Move and added some stick-on 4" wide traction tape so that my centerstand doesn't slip on the yellow paint like it did before I added the tape.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Yellow Tire Automotive tire

I believe I ordered this tape from Amazon. As you can see, I have many years of usage left on the roll.

Adhesive Automotive tire Font Office supplies Circle

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am enjoying my Park N Move and added some stick-on 4" wide traction tape so that my centerstand doesn't slip on the yellow paint like it did before I added the tape.
Do you leave the wheels unlocked when you’re putting on the stand? Saw someone mention it and it does work better. Tends to move the stand more than slide on it if they aren’t locked. Not that it makes a difference now to you lol I like your idea though. I may end up with a roll myself.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Do you leave the wheels unlocked when you’re putting on the stand? Saw someone mention it and it does work better. Tends to move the stand more than slide on it if they aren’t locked. Not that it makes a difference now to you lol I like your idea though. I may end up with a roll myself.
Yes, I do unlock the casters when I am ready to "mount" the Park-N-Move. I just need to remember to lock the casters when I am ready to dismount. :rolleyes:

Reactions: SunnyRides

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yes, I do lock the casters when I am ready to "mount" the Park-N-Move. I just need to remember to unlock the casters when I am ready to dismount. :rolleyes:
That’s funny, and I’m the opposite on the dismount. I lock them. More so that it stays where I expect it to be when I come back in uphill and blind into the garage lol I’ve been experimenting on my routine.

My truck says I have a 30% grade driveway. Makes it a wee bit hard to see the garage floor until the last second because I have some speed too. It’s a nail biter. It’s not pleasurable even for passengers because I kind of ‘land’ in the garage both bike and truck and the first time someone is with me it spooks them until they figure out I do this all the time lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts