FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: does anyone have a problem using the built-in hand-hold to raise the bike on center stand? It is just NOT at the right height or angle for me. Using it is tearing up my right-lower back muscles so I have been using the handy blue rail just above the pannier to pull it up, but I am concerned I may be over-stressing it--if it is plastic. Does anyone know it's composition? If it is plastic, it is the most rigid plastic I have ever encountered. To see how strong it is, remove the rear seat and examine the attach points, try to bend the thin piece that sticks up.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Bob,

The trick is NOT to lift the bike, it will do that all by it self.

As dear old Archimedes would say:
Use the leverage you get between the centerstand and the pedal to operate it.
Even a lightweight person will find that with all your bodyweight on the pedal, the bike will jump up on the center stand.
(Keep your left foot slightly behind you for stability)

:ale:

·
Registered
15 Posts
You should use your right and left hands mostly for balance and once you get the center stand down touching the ground just stand up on it with your leg and the bike will come up rather easily - once you get the knack of it and do it a few times you will see how easy it really is - PBraido

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much do you guys weigh?? :roll: I am 205 lbs and when I stand on the lever it does not LEAP onto the stand! It requires a hefty pull upwards--I am not new at this, have used center stands on many bikes.
Anyway--my real question is----does anyone know what the blue rail is made of??

·
Registered
181 Posts
My weight is a tad under 100kg or 220lbs in your money.
But your weight really isn't the issue, SWMBO can get it up ( :oops: get the bike up on the C-stand I meant but you knew that, didn't you) and she only weighs in at 65kg or 140lbs.

Treat the C-stand pedal like the first step of a staircase and have faith, the forces will be with you.
8)

(and sorry, I don't know what the grab-rail is made of, it were replaced by a luggage system before I got my bike.)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Viking, your extra 20 lbs would definitely help--next time I will wear my backpack with an extra 20 in it and see what happens. I would love to see a video of your 140 lb wife (or whoever) putting it on the stand unassisted. Or maybe the Euro versions have a longer lever to step on?.....or maybe if I remove the 2 panniers it will make the difference....

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
My wife's more than 140, but she got it up with loaded bags at a gas pump.

It's not hard compared to any other STs I've had either. Level ground, be sure both legs are touching before you step on it. If you're lifting from a point other than the grab spot, it's less than optimal... or you're not quite getting the right angle on it.

You're using your right foot, correct?

:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
yeah, I agree with the rest of these posts. I am 145 lbs and 5'9" and this scoot jumps up on the stand if you use the techniques in this forum. Give it a try, just don't let her get over to far on either side, shit happens you know!

·
Super Moderator
3,954 Posts
bobbybob said:
How much do you guys weigh?? :roll: I am 205 lbs and when I stand on the lever it does not LEAP onto the stand! It requires a hefty pull upwards--I am not new at this, have used center stands on many bikes.
Anyway--my real question is----does anyone know what the blue rail is made of??
My silver rail is a plastic of some kind.

As for center standing the FJR, how about "throwing" it up and back about 3' the first time I did it? It's so easy compared to a GL1500 Gold Wing with Aux fuel cell, that it was embarrasing.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Liquidsilver said:
Level ground, be sure both legs are touching before you step on it. If you're lifting from a point other than the grab spot, it's less than optimal... or you're not quite getting the right angle on it.

You're using your right foot, correct?

:)
Agree - must make sure you have both centrestand feet touching the ground (first time it will feel like the bike wants to fall away from you), Right hand steadies and lifts moderately, push down firmly with right foot. Works every time.

If this doesn't work for you, ask Mrs Liquid for a few tips.

·
Registered
141 Posts
No offense to any of you, but don't they teach this at riding school? For us, being able to put a bike on the centerstand is one of the requirements for getting a license and it is one of the first things they teach.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to everyone for their input; unfortunately no one is addressing my real question. :x First, I can get the bike on the stand every time; my problem is lower back. There is no way (unless you weigh 250+) that simply standing on the lever without exerting upward force will get the thing up. It requires an upward pull. Using the hand-hold for this is messing with my back.
So my original question-----what is the blue grab rail made of--plastic or metal? Will it withstand being used to pull the bike up? Does anyone else use this to pull it up? I don't need any more instructions on how to raise bike to c-stand.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And to answer Afterburn, no, they don't teach it in MSF courses in the US. Everyone rides Harley's over here. :crylarf:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sorry to disagree but you evidently do; there is no requirement to pull the bike up as has been explained in previous posts, standing on the centre stand pedal will get it up (oo err missus). And no, I do not know the composition of the part of the machine you ask about but with reference to getting the machine on to the centre stand it is irrelevant.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry but it is about technique. I am 5' 7" and 150 lbs, if I drop the bike I cannot pick it up, but I can put it on the centre stand -even with a flat rear tyre. The trick is not just to stand on the center stand but DRIVE IT INTO THE GROUND WITH YOUR FOOT. The bike will "fly across the garage floor".

My problem with the hand hold is that it is too snug, certainly with winter glove on. I have to take my time making sure I have a good grip.

If the bar you are talking about is that part of the standard rear carrier then it is is plastic. If you want metal then buy the mounting carrier for the Givi case.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think it's time I end this thread, as it seems no one is actually reading my real question or responding to it. But thanks anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
bobbybob said:
Question: does anyone have a problem using the built-in hand-hold to raise the bike on center stand? It is just NOT at the right height or angle for me. Using it is tearing up my right-lower back muscles so I have been using the handy blue rail just above the pannier to pull it up, but I am concerned I may be over-stressing it--if it is plastic. Does anyone know it's composition? If it is plastic, it is the most rigid plastic I have ever encountered. To see how strong it is, remove the rear seat and examine the attach points, try to bend the thin piece that sticks up.
I think the questions have been answered.

does anyone have a problem using the built-in hand-hold to raise the bike on center stand? Lots of responses on how to use this hand-hold.

I have been using the handy blue rail just above the pannier .... Does anyone know it's composition? There has been specific answers by some, (plastic, and some speculation), and they have done what is reasonable to answer your question. One answer to this question (which you repeated at 1:04pm on Sat 3 June) was posted by bounce at 6:16am that same day. Hey, that answer was posted 7 hours before you asked the question again. What more do you want?

Ask a question, get a direct answer, and some helpful side info, and you accuse people of not reading your real question or responding to it. Waddaya really want?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Give the people the benefit of your wisdom, what they do with it is up to them. 8)

Ride often and ride SAFE

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK--let's try it this way:
Can anyone state authoritatively what the grab rail/luggage rack is made of? Simple question. No guesses please. If you know the answer, please let me know how you know. Thanks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Bob,

The people who still has this rail fitted has already answered that it's plastic.

If you want a more definate answer than that either take a hacksaw to it (a hacksaw will cut through plastic like a hot knife through butter, metal will give some resistance) or take it of your bike and post it to me and I will get my missus to x-ray it for you.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts