FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine had a wierd thing happen to his FJR about a month ago.
He pulled it into the garage and dismounted, put his bike on the center stand, and all hell broke loose, the FJR took a dive to the right, knocking over his GSXR750, which in turn took a dive into his Infinity Q45.

Cause of accident: failure of the center stand (rusted thru)

Total damage $1500.00, Yamaha replaced the center stand under xtended warranty ( bike is a 2003 with 55,000 miles)

offered $800.00 for the damage to the GSXR and the Infinity.

Friend filed suit in small claims court. Will Advise outcome. Kieth :x

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Do as search on the old site for centre stand failures and you will find that this has been a much too common occurrence. They did change the design a bit, but it still traps water inside it. With the metal being only just man enough to carry the weight when it was new, a little bit of rust makes all the difference. :evil:

·
Registered
168 Posts
For the life of me, I don`t know how Mother Yamaha has gotten away with that embarassment of a centerstand on its early fjrs. There have been reports of these things caving in at gas pumps for gods sake. I would hope the judge in small claims will pursue why there hasn`t been a recall of that item. It is CLEARLY a safety issue. Some poor smuck is gonna get his leg busted one of these days or worse! :oops: Hey Kieth...I'd say your buddy has got a very strong case there...make sure he scoops up all the reports/documentation on the FJR sites re:centerstand failures. When he goes into court armed with the info. he will clearly win!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Count me in as another victim. It broke right where the lever arm meets the leg, tearing the left foot off with it. Sux bad. The dealer wants $168 for the damn thing,which i won't buy just too have it break again. i'd gladly pay more for a heavy duty replacement though.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went to small claims court, before he went they paid the damages. He did have a extended warranty...................Kieth :roll:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, maybe but I'm still not buying it. The new ones look pretty similar to my broken one and unless the tubes are thicker i bet they break too. For $160 it's a tough bet to make...

On closer inspection it doesnt look like rust played any role in the break, the tubes are just too thin and the design of the stand has the side loads bending the tubes at the weak point of the weld. My GPZ1100's side stand has a different design with both feet attached to a u shaped tube and two legs attached to that "u" going up to the attachment points on the bike.
Seems to me to be a better design, you'd have to twist the tube along it's axis to tear the leg off like I did instead of just snapping the thing off midway down the tube.

Anyway I had it rewelded with some added material in the area. The repair cost me $32 ... I'll keep y'all posted if it doesnt work out.

·
Registered
192 Posts
centerstand

I solved the whole problem. I took mine off. Found I haven't had a need for it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Re: centerstand

number2 said:
Sounds like a good idea. My heel keeps hitting the centerstand while I'm riding - maybe I'll get rid of mine also.

·
Registered
250 Posts
marshman said:
Do as search on the old site for centre stand failures and you will find that this has been a much too common occurrence. They did change the design a bit, but it still traps water inside it. With the metal being only just man enough to carry the weight when it was new, a little bit of rust makes all the difference. :evil:
How about filling up the cavity with silicone chalk?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Drilled a 2.5mm drain hole on each side of the tubes right at the bottom where the feet are welded on to let any water out, and gave the inside of the tubes a good spraying with ACF50.
Even having done that, after riding on a wet day the bike can stand for a good 24 hours in the garage, and moisture is still seeping out, so a fair bit must find its way in there. Perhaps sealing the pivot end of the tubes might be an idea?

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Re: centerstand

number2 said:
So how do you oil the chain then?

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Could you fill it with that expanding foam stuff? That would seem to keep moisture out and it's fairly light weight.

·
Registered
192 Posts
centerstand

They make sport chocks for the rear wheel. If I want to make sure I have that ability while traveling I just hang the it off the back of the seat and bungie it to the back :crylarf: The chain is easy to take care of with the same wheel stand. :roll:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Centre stan failure

Well, I couldn't believe it, after 27,000 trouble free miles the centre stand just gave way! It happened in my drive, the bike was too close to a wall so the top box got damaged, the fairing is scratched (only the edge where your right knee is), slight scratch on the right can and thats it. Why so little damage? Before I went to Norway and the Arctic Circle I fitted GSG Mototechnic crash bobbins. If the stand had given way in Norway and without the GSG's I could have been in deep sh*t. It's a 2003 so I suppose Yamaha will say no to a claim but i'll give it a try.

·
Registered
405 Posts
center stand

OK, you all made me nervous enough to check out my 05. The vertical legs (when the bike is on the stand) are pinched shut at the top to fit into the brackets attaching same to the frame. How does any moisture get in there? I could see no other entry points. Drilling weep holes seems to be creating another area where rust and wet could affect structural integrity, rather than relieving a problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Centre Stand Failure

marshman said:
Drilled a 2.5mm drain hole on each side of the tubes right at the bottom where the feet are welded on to let any water out, and gave the inside of the tubes a good spraying with ACF50.
Even having done that, after riding on a wet day the bike can stand for a good 24 hours in the garage, and moisture is still seeping out, so a fair bit must find its way in there. Perhaps sealing the pivot end of the tubes might be an idea?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I note that; I still cannot figure out how any moisture gets into the legs since the legs are pinched closed at the top on my 05. Any hints/suggestions?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts