FJR Owners Forum banner

Catalytic Converter

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Ramleb 
#1 ·
I have a FJR '03, Remus Slip-Ons, and a K & N air filter. What are the Pros and Cons, of emptying the Catalytic Converter?

#2 ·
Not sure what you mean by "emptying" it. If you mean cutting them out, I did it and it did seem to breathe better and for some reason I still dont understand, completely smoothed out the 4-5K vibe I had. Dont expect much in the way of heat reduction though. When I did mine, nobody was making a catless pipe. A better option these days is to get a complete pipe setup from Walker or Muzzy. If you try to cut them out of the stock pipe, you may be buying a new pipe anyway. Its not fun to TIG weld it shut. The stainless piping is surprisingly thin probably to save weight.

#3 ·
catalyst removal

ericw,
I've been planning on having the catalysts removed this coming winter. I have a problem with the heat on my feet & rising up my legs during long stops in the hot summertime. Others have reported the heat is much less without the catalysts.
Your comment,"Dont expect much in the way of heat reduction though." is a surprise to me. Please elaborate. You may well save me the expense & effort of the rework.

dobias

#4 ·
Re: catalyst removal

dobias said:
ericw,
I've been planning on having the catalysts removed this coming winter. I have a problem with the heat on my feet & rising up my legs during long stops in the hot summertime. Others have reported the heat is much less without the catalysts.
Your comment,"Dont expect much in the way of heat reduction though." is a surprise to me. Please elaborate. You may well save me the expense & effort of the rework.

dobias
I probably should have noted that I live in WA state where heat really wasnt a big issue even with the cats in. I did feel some heat come back on the legs and still do. What I meant was that I didnt feel any difference after the cats were cut out. I feel that 90% of the felt heat to the rider is from the cooling system and the way the airflow is routed.

I guess if one was to routinely sit in traffic the cat heat could radiate up and add some discomfort, but in reality, the cat shouldnt be much hotter than the surrounding pipe as long as the bike is running properly. If it is running rich and dumping raw, unburned fuel in there then it would glow if it was bad enough. So, in summary, I think the cromiet? SP? heat fix found by searching would be better if heat is your main concern. I cut mine out because I was taking the pipe off anyway to ceramic coat it and was bored and needed a weekend project. I dont regret it though, the bike runs better without them in there IMO.

#5 ·
catalytic converter

using an infrared thermometer, will show the header pipes run about 180-200 degrees , cats run about 550, removing them provided a dramatic reduction in heat, I went to a muzzy full system, and was able to run a cooler , richer f.i. map with no loss in fuel economy. ....cool

#6 ·
I removed my 05 cats. (no big deal for a good tig welder) + K&N air filter. I noticed the engine does not run nearly as hot. Also smoothed out the vibes. Mine never had bad vibes anyway. :wink: Riding home from the MOTO G/P Laguna. Got stuck in slow L.A traffic., HOT, Bike still sheads heat but seem less.

I just loaded Dale walker map in my PCIII. To try to richen the mix. I noticed the back end of my stock cans have heat bluing. Any one eles have this? Is there a better map. After market can are some where in the future.

I have also noticed a slight stumble or shutter when I first crack the throttle. Just did a tb sync. Any ideas? TPS maybe? any in put will be greatly appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.