FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the experts. I have a 2003 FJR with 2200 miles on it. Rarely ridden due to back injury soon after purchasing new. I started riding again a few weeks ago and soon after I started out began to smell this strong odor like burning garbage coming out of the right exhaust. Seems to run fine but the smell won't go away. It envelopes me when at a stop. The only thing I can think is the catalytic converter has crapped out but am not sure. Has anyone else had this experience? Also if it is the cat why would it be fouling after so few miles? I hate to think of the expense in replacing it and wonder if Yamaha might own up to a faulty part. Thanks in advance. Jst2see

·
Registered
632 Posts
The cat, when new, smells like rotting eggs. But this should go away very quickly.

What could have happened is that one of the plugs is fouled up through being stood around and you are getting unburned fuel down the cat - that would also give the smell.

I would get the bike checked out - replacing the cat is expensive and you also don't know what other problems you may be getting.

Alan

·
Registered
51 Posts
Possibly a small rodent died in there during storage?

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Fjr's often emit a strange smell after they have been wet, washed or ridden in the rain. I'm on my third FJR now, and they all do it. The smell on mine goes away after a good ride in dry conditions.

·
Super Moderator
3,957 Posts
jst2see said:
Question for the experts. I have a 2003 FJR with 2200 miles on it. Rarely ridden due to back injury soon after purchasing new. I started riding again a few weeks ago and soon after I started out began to smell this strong odor like burning garbage coming out of the right exhaust. Seems to run fine but the smell won't go away. It envelopes me when at a stop. The only thing I can think is the catalytic converter has crapped out but am not sure. Has anyone else had this experience? Also if it is the cat why would it be fouling after so few miles? I hate to think of the expense in replacing it and wonder if Yamaha might own up to a faulty part. Thanks in advance. Jst2see
Had that when my '03 was new, too. More like the smell of wet burning leaves. It's goes away as the cat/con gets broken in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Problem Solved and thanks

Want to thank all for their input on my smelly FJR. It was indeed a rodent, or something that had built a nest of seeds, stems, etc. down the exhaust pipe. The smell was from that stuff cooking and maybe the rodent itself! Much obliged.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts