FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the experts. I have a 2003 FJR with 2200 miles on it. Rarely ridden due to back injury soon after purchasing new. I started riding again a few weeks ago and soon after I started out began to smell this strong odor like burning garbage coming out of the right exhaust. Seems to run fine but the smell won't go away. It envelopes me when at a stop. The only thing I can think is the catalytic converter has crapped out but am not sure. Has anyone else had this experience? Also if it is the cat why would it be fouling after so few miles? I hate to think of the expense in replacing it and wonder if Yamaha might own up to a faulty part. Thanks in advance. Jst2see

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
It's not the catalytic converters... more likely cobwebs. Are you sure you're not cooking any rodents under the tank, or in that pipe?

How's the fuel in that cream puff? (used car speak for something older with few miles)

Prolly just needs to be run hard a few times.

:)

·
Registered
126 Posts
yes, I once fried up the remains of a rodent and its nest when I fired up one of my old CZs.

If you have ever been around someone "hot shoein'" a horse, that was kind of like the smell.

Pretty stinky.

CZ

·
Registered
280 Posts
Similar to the way my parents got their first pet cat. He was huddled on the engine block of my dad's 65 Electra looking for warmth. Lucky for the cat, dad started out that particular day doing the monthly oil check before firing up...

Growing up near corn fields, storing any vehicle meant constant vigilance at removing all foam and cloth from popup campers, vehicles etc before and likewise in the spring to locate and remove mouse nests before returning to service.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.