FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Age 60, clean record (try not to get caught), $1m liability, 1000 deductible, collision $873. 2003 Hayabusa, $1m liability, 1000 deductible, comprehensive only, $773. Have at least 3 cars insured at any given time so some discounts in there.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Insurance companies should give back some huge discounts and refund at least 50% off from your original premium, due to the following Covid related conditions;

- 80% vehicles being off the road, (due to people working from home)
- people staying home, keeping their properties safe from fire and flooding
- people staying in their homes, drastically reducing the risk for brake-in entry and theft
- overall major decrease in auto and home related Insurance claims payouts

...but something tells me, this ain't gonna happen, and they'll probably find some (covid) reasons to increase our premiums :-(

Some years ago you were able to insure your recreational vehicles only for say summer, but now it's based on 12mnths minimum. There are some "Insurance Covid-19 plans" to where you can; defer payments or save some money by removing or "suspending" coverage on a vehicle you are not using, but it all sounds better then it actually is;

https://www.moneysense.ca/columns/reducing-auto-insurance-premiums-during-covid-19/

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Just curious and a statement (sorry Russ!) Do you guy’s in Canada have Progressive available to you ? The reason I ask is that bike’s is where Progressive started and seem to give a bit of a break to them here in the states but like most things there are those that like them and those that just hate them, so I was just curious.

As an insured that lives next to a “no fault “ state (Michigan) we here in Northern Indiana pay a lot more because of that, my son was an executive with one of the major insurance companies and years ago gave me a pretty in depth explanation of how all that works and why it’s more expensive but I can’t remember the details (age thing!),,, I really hate insurance companies ! Legalized theft. IMHO.

Anyway back to the previous insurance discussions,,,,,, take it away guy’s !

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,316 Posts
Progressive doesn't exist here that I'm aware of. If you have house/car insured at same time as bike, you'll get a discount, otherwise, pay. Risk areas, pay more, i.e., GTA or worst in Ontario is Peel Region (too much fraud apparently). If I were 10 miles west of me I'd be in a lower bracket.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had tried a variety of insurance companies over the years for motorcycle insurance and found most set the premiums so high you would go someplace else. My home and auto coverage did not give me a break on bike insurance. A few years ago I switched to TD and only insure the bikes through them now. When a had a GW and Ninja 1000 the combined insurance for both was less than just the Wing other places. The most recent numbers I can give you you for $2 million liability and $1000 deductibile are for when I was down to one bike.
2014 Ninja 1000 $596
2019 FJR $1035 Something about newer and more expensive changed the rate. I even promised not to have an accident, but they wouldn't come down.

I live less than 10 km from Damir so might have a penalty for proximity.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,316 Posts
I was with TD (underwriter is Primmum) and was referred to another broker, Surenet. Rates were ~$150 less (underwriter is Aviva Elite) at the time. Every time I do an online quote with TD it is always higher.

·
Registered
197 Posts
2015 ES, 55 years old, clean record for many years other than one speeding ticket 2 years ago.
Full collision ($500 ded) comprehensive ($250 ded) paying $546/year.
The crazy thing is, I also have my 2015 R1 insured exactly the same and it’s only costing $372/year.
I would have expected the premiums to be reversed, but not complaining when I see what insurance is costing in other provinces.😱

·
Registered
663 Posts
TD insurance but covered by Meloche Monnex.
2mil liability with full coverage for collision and comprehensive.
Clean record /59 Eastern Ontario
1400 tax in for 2014 FJR and 2015 DR.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
With the insurances you guy’s are paying up north I can see why they were forced to give you the much slower brown 2014’s , the insurance companies clearly pressured mother Yamaha for this ! 😁😁😜

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm 63, clean driving record, no claims, etc. ... this year I insured my 2018 FJR for 8 months - I paid $900 for mandatory insurance (to the government owned monopoly - enough said) and $325 for 12 months of optional coverage - collision, comprehensive and storage. BC insurance also factors in location ... I live in BC but within two hours of Alberta, which has notoriously bad drivers, many of whom come to BC, so rates here are higher to reflect that (sorry AB folk, I couldn't resist ;) )

BC is a beautiful part of the world, but we sure pay to live here !

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
For those of you with "CLEAN records, always doing 10 below speed limits, and tires lasting 30K" :p here's the way to save a lot of money on your insurance premiums:

my Driving Discount® is a free application that enables you to save up to 25% on your car insurance premium. If you are an Intact Insurance customer who has enrolled in our program, it could reward you with a personalized discount by assessing your driving habits. It's also a great way to receive valuable feedback about your driving habits, which can help you save even more. The better your driving habits, the more you could save!

Once your assessment period is over, your discount will be applied to your car insurance premium based on the conditions of the program.

Simply download the application and start driving. It's as simple as that!

If you have not yet enrolled in the my Driving Discount program and want to benefit from additional savings on your car insurance, contact your broker. It's a quick and easy process!

https://www.intact.ca/ab/en/personal-insurance/vehicle/car/mydrive.html

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
... I live in BC but within two hours of Alberta, which has notoriously bad drivers, many of whom come to BC, so rates here are higher to reflect that (sorry AB folk, I couldn't resist ;) )

BC is a beautiful part of the world, but we sure pay to live here !
;-) Sete, check these statistics :-D

The number of vehicle collisions in BRITISH COLUMBIA is at an all-time high, according to the latest numbers from the Insurance Corporation of B.C. (ICBC). There were 350,000 collisions on B.C. roads in 2017, an average of 960 crashes a day. The total cost of claims was $4.8 billion, an average of $13 million a day.

During 2016, 133,124 collisions were recorded on ALBERTA roadways. Property damage collisions (over $2,000) represented 90.4% (120,386) of this total while 9.4% (12,465) were non-fatal injury collisions. Fatal collisions accounted for 0.2% (273) of the total reported collisions.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
For those of you with "CLEAN records, always doing 10 below speed limits, and tires lasting 30K" :p here's the way to save a lot of money on your insurance premiums:

my Driving Discount® is a free application that enables you to save up to 25% on your car insurance premium.

Damir:

The supposedly long lasting Michelin PR4GT tire I put on the rear of my FJR lasted 12,500km and it was worn down to the cords. How slow do you have to ride to get 30,000km out of a rear tire?:grin2: By the way, the last speeding ticket I got was in 1977.

Also, read the first line of your quoted text: Car Insurance Premium. Betcha this discount wouldn't apply to Motorcycle Insurance Premiums.

Haynes

·
Registered
9 Posts
I live in Squamish, B.C. Just North of Vancouver. 60 years old, 2019 Yamaha FJR ES. Full Discount because of good driving record. Annual Cost for ICBC government insurance, $1397. Plus, I pay around $600 for additional coverage from a private insurance company for theft and collision, etc.
If u have a bike over 1000cc in this province, u pay a lot. They are crooks as far as I’m concerned.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Damir:

The supposedly long lasting Michelin PR4GT tire I put on the rear of my FJR lasted 12,500km and it was worn down to the cords. How slow do you have to ride to get 30,000km out of a rear tire?:grin2: By the way, the last speeding ticket I got was in 1977.

Also, read the first line of your quoted text: Car Insurance Premium. Betcha this discount wouldn't apply to Motorcycle Insurance Premiums.

Haynes
ha,ha, just joking with some of you "perfect record" bikers :grin2:

I was told that the App will follow your driving and ridding habits (i.e acceleration, breaking, speed etc), would need to check with Intact Insurance if they cover bikes.
This App is not for me, I don't have a "clean record" and always riding "spirited" :wink2: >:)

·
Registered
269 Posts

my Driving Discount® is a free application that enables you to save up to 25% on your car insurance premium. If you are an Intact Insurance customer who has enrolled in our program, it could reward you with a personalized discount by assessing your driving habits. It's also a great way to receive valuable feedback about your driving habits, which can help you save even more. The better your driving habits, the more you could save!

Once your assessment period is over, your discount will be applied to your car insurance premium based on the conditions of the program.

Simply download the application and start driving. It's as simple as that!

If you have not yet enrolled in the my Driving Discount program and want to benefit from additional savings on your car insurance, contact your broker. It's a quick and easy process!

https://www.intact.ca/ab/en/personal-insurance/vehicle/car/mydrive.html
Let the insurance company personally spy on you 24x7 in the hopes of getting a discount?

It's one thing to add a black box in your car that tracks your vehicle usage. When you give them access to your phone they now know who you talk to and when, access to all your contacts, photos, location 24x7, when you eat, sleep, how many times you look at your phone,...

Did you know there is a statistic out there that people who let their phone batteries die tend to be a bad risk for money lending?

Just think, an unintended consequence to you allowing the insurance to track you is that they share/sell your info to banks, lenders, etc and you may find your cost of loans go up or you might even get declined because you keep odd hours or are a passenger in vehicles whose drivers don't follow traffic rules.

No thanks. We are getting hosed by insurance because they have a legislated monopoly and we are required by law to have insurance. If you want to see insurance rates go down, eliminate the monopolies and make insurance optional. Since it's "no fault" insurance here in Ontario then we are all already paying for our own accidents whether we are at fault or not. Make insurance coverage optional and we'll see the rates drop dramatically.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I see insurance is just as crooked (or more) in Canada as it is here in the USA. :rolleyes:

Insurance companies should give back some huge discounts and refund at least 50% off from your original premium, due to the following Covid related conditions;

- 80% vehicles being off the road, (due to people working from home)
- people staying home, keeping their properties safe from fire and flooding
- people staying in their homes, drastically reducing the risk for brake-in entry and theft
- overall major decrease in auto and home related Insurance claims payouts

...but something tells me, this ain't gonna happen, and they'll probably find some (covid) reasons to increase our premiums :-(

Some years ago you were able to insure your recreational vehicles only for say summer, but now it's based on 12mnths minimum. There are some "Insurance Covid-19 plans" to where you can; defer payments or save some money by removing or "suspending" coverage on a vehicle you are not using, but it all sounds better then it actually is;

https://www.moneysense.ca/columns/reducing-auto-insurance-premiums-during-covid-19/
Some insurance companies in the USA saw a marketing opportunity in doing just that. Many companies literally spent more money marketing the "give" back, than what they actually gave back. (and actually the return was spurred on by a watered-down consumer protections act passed during the 2007/2008 financial melt down)

Well, in one article boasting about the "give" back, they made the mistake of stating the dollar amount that was being returned and over what time period. 15% for April and May.

I did the quick math and get this... FOUR BILLION paid by customers in just two months to a SINGLE company... and that's just their auto insurance division. :surprise: ONE division of ONE insurance company took in FOUR BILLION dollars in just two months.

WTF... let that sink in. People have no clue just how much we're being screwed.

I could go on and on and on but the original poster is looking for price comparisons in Canada...

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Let the insurance company personally spy on you 24x7 in the hopes of getting a discount?
The moment you get a smartphone you are being tracked...and some even believe, listened and seen through phone cameras, as they can be turned on by hackers.

...some also believe that all our Google assistants and Alexas are just a modern spin on the "speakers cemented to the wall that can't be turned off" that some regimes install in every home to "Alert citizens about earthquake and tsunami's".... however, these networks are alleged to broadcast regime propaganda into citizen's homes day and night without respite (and possibly have a microphone inside too)"

https://www.nknews.org/2019/06/the-north-korean-radio-you-can-never-turn-off-fact-or-fiction/

·
Registered
2008 Fjr1300, 2012 CBF1000
120 Posts
I'm with Northbridge Insurance and pay $2,880 a year for the house, car and two motorcycles...2008 FJR $808 and 2012 Honda CBF1000 $761. $1,000,000 liability and $1,000 deductible on each, and a clean driving record.

·
Registered
298 Posts
;-) Sete, check these statistics :-D

The number of vehicle collisions in BRITISH COLUMBIA is at an all-time high, according to the latest numbers from the Insurance Corporation of B.C. (ICBC). There were 350,000 collisions on B.C. roads in 2017, an average of 960 crashes a day. The total cost of claims was $4.8 billion, an average of $13 million a day.

During 2016, 133,124 collisions were recorded on ALBERTA roadways. Property damage collisions (over $2,000) represented 90.4% (120,386) of this total while 9.4% (12,465) were non-fatal injury collisions. Fatal collisions accounted for 0.2% (273) of the total reported collisions.
My point exactly ... AB drivers accustomed to straight roads come to BC, can't negotiate BC's curvy roads, and have wrecks here :) :wink2:... typically involving innocent BC drivers, thus increasing ICBC claims and premiums.>:)

I'm not saying BC has good drivers ... we don't. :frown2:

21 - 40 of 50 Posts