FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious as to what my countrymen (and women) are paying to insure their FJRs. Lots of factors at play here I suppose: age, gender, driving record, age of bike, coverage (full or liability only), deductible, location, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I'm also curious to see the difference in cost between provinces with public insurance (BC, SK, MB) versus those with private insurers.

My stats: early 60s, male, clean driver's abstract, 2020 FJR, full coverage, $1000 deductible, Northern Ontario: $645/year.

Haynes

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,323 Posts
Lucky you. Double that down this way. Ontario insurance (and BC) is expensive.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My stats: 57, male, clean driver's abstract, 2019 FJR, full coverage, 2M liability, $1000 deductible, Southern Ontario: $1,279/year. I was just quoted $1,230. to add a 2021 Versys 1000 SL ET.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Russ,,,,, are you sure that you really don’t wanna talk about insurance worldwide with maybe a couple side discussions on oil & tires ??? 😁 ho-ho-ho ya know !

·
Registered
270 Posts
I am curious as to what my countrymen (and women) are paying to insure their FJRs. Lots of factors at play here I suppose: age, gender, driving record, age of bike, coverage (full or liability only), deductible, location, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I'm also curious to see the difference in cost between provinces with public insurance (BC, SK, MB) versus those with private insurers.

My stats: early 60s, male, clean driver's abstract, 2020 FJR, full coverage, $1000 deductible, Northern Ontario: $645/year.

Haynes
Ontario vehicle insurance premiums start with the "bend over" clause.

Who is your insurer? I' paying $1600 for 2 bikes and think I'm getting gouged until I see my son's insurance and I'm paying less for two bikes than he does on his one bike.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ontario vehicle insurance premiums start with the "bend over" clause.

Who is your insurer? I' paying $1600 for 2 bikes and think I'm getting gouged until I see my son's insurance and I'm paying less for two bikes than he does on his one bike.
In general I agree with your assessment of Ontario insurance policies/premiums however this year (and last, actually) I'm "happy" with my rate. Seems quite reasonable.

I'm with Wawanesa and have 2 bikes insured: 2020FJR full coverage $645 and 2013 Super Tenere PLPD only $340. They also insure my 2 "cages" so that might help my rate a bit.

Haynes

·
Registered
278 Posts
I pay about £250 fully comprehensive and that is with no mileage restriction and I leave it in the garage with the key in it, although the garage is locked.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I pay about £250 fully comprehensive and that is with no mileage restriction and I leave it in the garage with the key in it, although the garage is locked.
Linton, you just let the WORLD (and your Insurance company) know where you keep your bike keys :serious:

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,819 Posts
Russ,,,,, are you sure that you really don't wanna talk about insurance worldwide with maybe a couple side discussions on oil & tires ??? 😁 ho-ho-ho ya know !
Yes, quite sure. Unfortunately there's one in every crowd that won't follow the instructions. And sometimes another that feels the need to derail a reasonable thread. It's why we can't have nice things around here- the children keep breaking them! Frikkin hoes......
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following, quoted from a post above you, might apply to you.

Note- Canadians only need apply. Thread not applicable to anyone outside of Canada.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I agree with Damir, why would you do that?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not a competition I'm overly excited about "winning" but I think I might...

31 years old, clean abstract, 2019 FJR third party liability only costs me $1,860/year. I get my optional insurance through third party for approx $550/year so a total of $2,410.

Lower mainland BC

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hour north of Toronto. 56 years old. 2017 FJR. Perfect record. $1000 deductible. $2000000 liability. $1300/year

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
"Clean record", "perfect record", "no speeding tickets" ???

What's wrong with you guys, you can't just be riding in the 2nd gear all the time, holding the traffic :) (no wonder your 2nd gear is failing)....,

I know an 80yr old that got 2 speeding tickets on his 4 wheel electric scooter :p

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,323 Posts
There are basically two motorcycle insurance underwriters in Ontario, Primmum and Aviva Elite. Your broker (DaltonTimmis/TD, etc.) will put you with one of them most likely. State Farm will underwrite a bike at great expense unless you have your house/car with them, then it gets competitive with the two big underwriters. Your pink slip will likely show the underwriter, but may show only the brokerage co.
The Ontario no fault system has driven our rates up....
A speeding ticket will add $100+ for the next 3 years, an accident you will pay for over 5 years.... resist making an accident claim unless it is a write-off....

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
"Clean record", "perfect record", "no speeding tickets" ???
A "clean record" or "clean abstract" means no tickets or accidents within the last 5 years, though most insurance companies that I've dealt with are only worried about tickets in the last 3 years, accidents in the last 5 years. Impaired driving convictions are likely held to longer timelines before forgiveness kicks in. My last accident, which came with my last ticket, was 21 years ago so therefore I have a clean abstract.

"No speeding tickets??" - Of course not: it's an FJR and I NEVER speed./forums/images/FJROwners_2015/smilies/tango_face_devil.png

Haynes

Reactions: Damir

·
Registered
1 Posts

Haynes
I am 73, live in Central Ontario, 2017 FJR with $1000 deductible and pay $1137 yearly.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
/forums/images/FJROwners_2015/smilies/tango_face_devil.png
Haynes
this forum needs to update their software; every time you use a smiley you get "a whole sentence of text instead" :frown2:

...Haynes did you use the smiley from you phone?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Not a competition I'm overly excited about "winning" but I think I might...

31 years old, clean abstract, 2019 FJR third party liability only costs me $1,860/year. I get my optional insurance through third party for approx $550/year so a total of $2,410.

Lower mainland BC
Ouch Terd, that's a lot of $$$, in cca 8 yrs that's enough money to buy another Brand NEW FJR :frown2:

·
Registered
342 Posts
There are basically two motorcycle insurance underwriters in Ontario, Primmum and Aviva Elite. Your broker (DaltonTimmis/TD, etc.) will put you with one of them most likely. State Farm will underwrite a bike at great expense unless you have your house/car with them, then it gets competitive with the two big underwriters. Your pink slip will likely show the underwriter, but may show only the brokerage co.
The Ontario no fault system has driven our rates up....
A speeding ticket will add $100+ for the next 3 years, an accident you will pay for over 5 years.... resist making an accident claim unless it is a write-off....
I'm with Wawanesa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
...Haynes did you use the smiley from you phone?
Nope. The emoji at post #15 was done from this site using my laptop. Seemed to work at the time but as you said it is now a whole sentence of text. Viewed on my phone it is now a box that says "loading" but sometimes it is the emoji. Odd.

Haynes

Reactions: Damir
1 - 20 of 50 Posts