FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 FJR
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m planning a 5,700 mile round trip for next month from Montana to the top of Maine. I was disappointed that I’d have to stay on the US side of the border from Buffalo on but just read that the border is opening on August 9th. Time to reroute to the Canadian side on the way up.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I had read that they will open up but only for essential travel only. No vacation trip until Sept so I read.

·
Registered
2021 FJR
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
“Canada on Monday said it will begin to ease pandemic restrictions at the U.S.-Canada border next month, allowing U.S. citizens and permanent residents living in the United States who are fully vaccinated with Canadian-authorized vaccines to enter for nonessential travel without quarantining.
The decision, which takes effect Aug. 9…”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/07/19/canada-us-border-open/

Reactions: Oldjeep

·
Registered
53 Posts
Lotsa nice tarmac on the South Side here, Vince!
I live in New York State, and suggest you plan on doing some zig-zagging through this state. Western NY is beautiful...Finger Lakes... Seneca Tribal lands... there are many mountains and river valleys. The Catskills in the south (my stomping grounds)... the Mohawk Valley in the center... the Adirondacks and over to Lake Champlain along the VT border...
Also don't miss the White Mountains in New Hampshire. Have a great ride!

·
Registered
2021 FJR
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I live in New York State, and suggest you plan on doing some zig-zagging through this state. Western NY is beautiful...Finger Lakes... Seneca Tribal lands... there are many mountains and river valleys. The Catskills in the south (my stomping grounds)... the Mohawk Valley in the center... the Adirondacks and over to Lake Champlain along the VT border...
That sounds great. I Lived in Watertown in '73 when I was stationed at Camp Drum. Beautiful area.

·
Registered
'16 FJR 1300, '98 Shadow VT1100T
90 Posts
VinceinMT - if you do cross over at Buffalo, its all highway/boring until you get past the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) where you can then jump on Hwy 2... jump on the 1000 Islands Parkway.. back onto Hwy 2, then I'ver heard the Long Sault parkway is also nice as you make your way to Cornwall. Not sure how you were going to go to Maine from there.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
8,704 Posts
“Canada on Monday said it will begin to ease pandemic restrictions at the U.S.-Canada border next month, allowing U.S. citizens and permanent residents living in the United States who are fully vaccinated with Canadian-authorized vaccines to enter for nonessential travel without quarantining.
The decision, which takes effect Aug. 9…”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/07/19/canada-us-border-open/
You can come here, but we can't go there... US govt. hasn't reciprocated with a date yet...... I'm hoping early September.

·
Premium Member
8,704 Posts
Agree, stay in NY state, a few ways to get east...... you do not want to go through Toronto......

Reactions: JK28

·
Registered
116 Posts
I’m planning a 5,700 mile round trip for next month from Montana to the top of Maine. I was disappointed that I’d have to stay on the US side of the border from Buffalo on but just read that the border is opening on August 9th. Time to reroute to the Canadian side on the way up.
I believe you will need to show a negative from an approved Covid test taken 72 hrs before you cross. It that is true it may not be worth the cost and hassle?

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
I believe you will need to show a negative from an approved Covid test taken 72 hrs before you cross. It that is true it may not be worth the cost and hassle?
Thought I read that you just need to upload proof that you have been fully vaccinated to Canada transport?

·
Premium Member
8,704 Posts
You need the negative Covid test in addition to being fully vaxxed, and have to upload your info to the ArriveCAN portal before you arrive at the border.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
You need the negative Covid test in addition to being fully vaxxed, and have to upload your info to the ArriveCAN portal before you arrive at the border.
Guess that trip around the lakes is going to wait another year unless they change that before oct.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts