FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a K&N air filter in my GSXR1000 and FJR1300, but a year later I get a error code (FI) on my GSXR. The dude down at the shop says I could be the air filter and might need to be remaped.

WTF? Why now? Can that be right?

Thanks......

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
It could affect the designed resonance of the airbox, but the FI in both bikes should be able to compensate for the mixture. (??)

:)

·
Registered
126 Posts
In general, hi flow air filters do just that................

They flow more air.

I have had bikes that needed to be re jetted after an aftermarket air cleaner install.

However, I would doubt a year later this is causing your problem.

Have you checked the sparkplugs for lean condition?

You may have developed an air leak. The FJR does run on the hotside, so I would check the rubber manifolds first. An easy check is to spray around the intakes with some contact or carb cleaner. If as you spray , the idle changes.....you found a leak. Manifold leaks are very common on motorcycles as they are subject to high heat and vibration.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Seems a little odd to be showing an FI error code that could be attributed to the filter unless the K&N has dried out. I've had problems with K&N's in the past with fouling of inlet sensors by the K&N filter oil. An inlet leak or poor electrical connection sounds like the first round of checks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts