FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
LG08RVO
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. New to the club. Great to be on board. I have a 2008 series 2 FJR. Needs a new tensioner. High mileage bike but never been changed out. What’s the cost of one of the latest editions. With gasket and oil pump gasket. Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi. New to the club. Great to be on board. I have a 2008 series 2 FJR. Needs a new tensioner. High mileage bike but never been changed out. What’s the cost of one of the latest editions. With gasket and oil pump gasket. Thanks
as far as i know 2008's don't need to a new tensioner but if you hear the slap you hear the slap a new cct and gasket shouldn't cost you more as 100 bucks my cct cost me 51 euro i reused my gasket

Reactions: Fringe_Remnant

·
Registered
LG08RVO
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as far as i know 2008's don't need to a new tensioner but if you hear the slap you hear the slap a new cct and gasket shouldn't cost you more as 100 bucks my cct cost me 51 euro i reused my gasket
Thanks for the reply. I have two FJR’s. The 08. Which has 96K on it but sounds as sweet as my 04 with 41K. Neither have had tensioners changed out. I guess I was after doing some preventative maintenance with all the horror stories you here about the cam chain tensioners. I’ve always been a believer if it ain’t busted don’t touch it. Both of my bikes sound and look great. But since reading a lot of the stories puts the big ‘What If’ doubts In your head. Had four FJR’s over the last 18 years went from the Fazer thou to the FJR. For me the best all rounder bike out there. Love them. So am I right in thinking the series 1 bike is the one to watch out for the series 2 is usually ok. I have no ticks or slaps on either. But wouldn’t want to torpedo my motor for the sake of a tensioner. Appreciate any good advice anyone can offer. Cheers.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Tommy, look for either a blue or green dot on top of the tensioner, no dot & it needs to be replaced. Your 04 should be more suspect but may have been changed at some point. Look for the paint dots, Simple as that, let us know.

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
559 Posts
Hi Tommy,
Welcome to the Hoard!
Yes, please change both of them out, STAT! LOL As you can see I have an '06 and I had no dot.

I just did mine in March of this year! Yeah, I thought I had a "dotted" CCT... it was an oils spot, that looked like the dot! Oops!!

Here is what I bought from Partzilla:

Order ItemsOrderedShippedTotal Price
1MC-12210-00-00 - TENSIONER ASSY, CAM CHAIN11$102.23
5JW-12213-00-00 - GASKET, TENSIONER CASE11$1.95
5JW-15451-11-00 - GASKET, CRANKCASE COVER 111$14.37
5JW-15456-11-00 - GASKET, OIL PUMP COVER 111$9.77

I have the "gasket, crankcase cover 1" for another project, but was just adding stuff to get free shipping! LOL

Reactions: Fringe_Remnant

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
I’ve always been a believer if it ain’t busted don’t touch it.
Not bad advice - unless you have a critical part with a known failure history. Because the FJR has what they call an interference engine, bad (and expensive) things can happen if you have an undiagnosed tensioner failure.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I have two FJR’s. The 08. Which has 96K on it but sounds as sweet as my 04 with 41K. Neither have had tensioners changed out. I guess I was after doing some preventative maintenance with all the horror stories you here about the cam chain tensioners. I’ve always been a believer if it ain’t busted don’t touch it. Both of my bikes sound and look great. But since reading a lot of the stories puts the big ‘What If’ doubts In your head. Had four FJR’s over the last 18 years went from the Fazer thou to the FJR. For me the best all rounder bike out there. Love them. So am I right in thinking the series 1 bike is the one to watch out for the series 2 is usually ok. I have no ticks or slaps on either. But wouldn’t want to torpedo my motor for the sake of a tensioner. Appreciate any good advice anyone can offer. Cheers.
i've been one of the people with a blown engine bc the cct going bad (bought the bike blown up) and its a hassle to fix but i agree with what you said if it isn't broken don't fix if the build year is 2008 you shouldn't have to fix it but on the 04 i definitely would since it's going to fail eventually

·
Registered
LG08RVO
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the good advice with the CCT. None of my bikes have the dot so I’ve ordered 2 for both my 08 hand 04. Better safe than sorry. On back order about a week to wait. Got a real shock in the price difference for the oil pump cover gaskets. The series 2 gasket is three times the price of the series 1 model. Oh well it’s peace of mind. Cheaper than a knackered motor for sure. Appreciate you all for the advice. This is one time my ‘if it ain’t broken leave it theory ‘ will take a nose dive. But I guess if ya don’t know about a problem you don’t give it a thought. Had four FJR’s. New one in 03. And new in 06 series 2. And now the two used models I have now. And been very lucky never had a tick or a slap on any of them. So on that note I think I’ve had my run of good luck. Time to sort it out. Thanks again guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts