FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was the first nice day in months, so I took Big Blue out for a spin. I have been dying to get out ever since I fitted my new California Scientific tall screen so I could try it out.

If you don't know which screen this is:

Since there aren't much impressions about this screen I was a little worried, but given that our police chose this screen for their new FJR's and knowing how rigerously (sp) they test new bikes, I figured I'd be safe by ordering this screen at the same height as they do.

Boy, am I glad I did! I ordered the tall version, which is about +4.5"/+2" from stock. It looks huge, and at first I thought it would be too tall for me, even though I am 6'2" (36" inseam). Well, after riding it today, it is not too tall. In the low position I can look well over it. In the high position, I look through the screen.

So how does it do? In one word, excellent! In the low position there is a slight turbulance to be heard around the helmet. Press the button to move it up slightly, and all of a sudden total silence! No more wind noise, no turbulance, nothing. Online sound is the engine. And, because of the big holes in the bottom of the screen, there is also zero pushing in the back.

This truly is an excellent screen and well worth the dough. It makes an already excellent bike even better and lots quieter. Anyone in the market for a screen to lower turbulance and backpressure should imo seriously consider this screen.

Me, I couldn't be happier!

·
Registered
8 Posts
afterburn said:
Today was the first nice day in months, so I took Big Blue out for a spin. I have been dying to get out ever since I fitted my new California Scientific tall screen so I could try it out.

If you don't know which screen this is:

Since there aren't much impressions about this screen I was a little worried, but given that our police chose this screen for their new FJR's and knowing how rigerously (sp) they test new bikes, I figured I'd be safe by ordering this screen at the same height as they do.

Boy, am I glad I did! I ordered the tall version, which is about +4.5"/+2" from stock. It looks huge, and at first I thought it would be too tall for me, even though I am 6'2" (36" inseam). Well, after riding it today, it is not too tall. In the low position I can look well over it. In the high position, I look through the screen.

So how does it do? In one word, excellent! In the low position there is a slight turbulance to be heard around the helmet. Press the button to move it up slightly, and all of a sudden total silence! No more wind noise, no turbulance, nothing. Online sound is the engine. And, because of the big holes in the bottom of the screen, there is also zero pushing in the back.

This truly is an excellent screen and well worth the dough. It makes an already excellent bike even better and lots quieter. Anyone in the market for a screen to lower turbulance and backpressure should imo seriously consider this screen.

Me, I couldn't be happier!

I would like to know if the passenger would be happier with the
new windshield. I am currently running a givi windshield.Great for
me ,but the passenger still complains

·
Registered
215 Posts
:shock: Bloody hell that is huge. What was the cost of that screen.
I like the idea of the holes in the lower section I may try that with my
+40mm screed as i am not totally happy with it due to back pressure when raised.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is the turbulence and noise reduction still significant when looking over the top of the screen? Or do you have to have it high enough to look through it before the marked improvement occurs?

Another way of asking: do you think the improvement is primarily due to the increased height or the aerodynamic changes?

Another question: have you ridden in the rain yet? How much water comes through the vents (or more to the point, how much water gets to the rider)?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can still just look over the edge of the screen when the turbulance stops. Given that the stock screen in its up position is higher and creates a lot of noise, I think it is primarely due to difference in aerodynamics and lack of vacuum behind the screen. |The absense of back pressure is definately caused by the design of the screen.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi, I'm interested in a replacement screen as well, but not sure what to get.
I'm 6' size L, very often with a petite pillion.

Solo: reasonably happy with the protection of the screen. Surprised by how noisy it is, but it works ok.

2 up: I get a lot of back pressure. Pillion reports being comfortable abd happy. With the screen all the way down at high speeds, I'm getting bufforted a lot, and more noisy than solo.
If I put the screen up, the back pressure/vacuum gets worse with height. At it's highest, my head gets pulled around making it generally pretty uncomfortable.

Seems to me, all I really need to solve is this backwards presure/vacuum thing. The rest I can live with happily.
Has anyone tried the drilling holes idea or something like that?
Bigger screens are great and all, but I'm happy with the actual size of the screen, especially around town and at slow speeds with it at the lowest position.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, the short version is only 1" taller than stock. But you could try and see if cutting holes will fixed the back pressure for you on the stocker.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm also curious about rain. Has anyone else cut holes in their screen to reduce the back-pressure? If so, how bad was water intrusion?
Then again, I won't melt, and silence would be golden.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a taller shield about 4" and looked at the Cal Sci shield decided to do it myself, drilled holes and cut it with a Mitre saw. Havn't ridden in the rain yet but now have very little if any back preasure and the noisy is a lot less also. Anything is better than having the rain whip around the shield the way it did before. ride safe 8)

·
Registered
55 Posts
starwolf said:
I have a taller shield about 4" and looked at the Cal Sci shield decided to do it myself, drilled holes and cut it with a Mitre saw. Havn't ridden in the rain yet but now have very little if any back preasure and the noisy is a lot less also. Anything is better than having the rain whip around the shield the way it did before. ride safe 8)
Can we have a piccy of where you cut the holes?
Really nervouse about, and can't see me taking a blade to my baby. But it does look like it would solve my problems.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I cut mine exactly like the one in the picture at the top of this thread. if you are nervous, Honda uses an insert that you can open and close, much like they use on small planes, cut a 3" hole and put a rubber insert in the hole. 8) ride safe

·
Registered
131 Posts
Starwolf; when you cut your screen did you tape it off?...& did you cut from the front or back?... I've got a givi screen (only difference is the lip at the top) & am thinking of doing the hole thing as well. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Windshield

Aftre I saw this windshield i went to the garage and pulled out my old screen and cut the 2 holes (exat like the ones in the top picture ) in it. I try to figure out how to post a picture. My cutted screen is a +4 +2 one. In my opinion it was one of the best decisions in all off my farkles.It is much less noisy and no pushing from the back. Here in NM it rains not that often ( last time October) so I have to wait for this test.
http://photobucket.com/albums/c372/MarcPoest/?action=view&current=DSCF137211.jpg

·
Registered
131 Posts
OK, MarcPoest... what did you use to cut the windscreen with?...dremel tool?.......circular saw?.... jig saw?...I'd really like to know.. :?

·
Registered
55 Posts
MarcPoest,
thanks a lot for the piccies, they help a lot, as does your report!

Now, I just need to go buy a drill, and a dremel :s, and a garage...

Might be cheaper to ride it to my house in Spain to do the mod, except I'd like the mod to do that ride.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
If you want to experiment with some cheap bits of plastic then screens for the FJR seem to come up on Ebay all the time, and often sell for next to bugger all. Picked up a brand new "AHAMAY" still in the box for £5.50 (+£11 postage :roll:) a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
92 Posts
windscreen

Zagzyg: I did the cutting with a Dremel ( cuttingwheel) after that I used a moulding tool ( I'm not shure if this is the right word for this kind of tool ) then a file for the bigger uneven parts in it ,after that I used sandigpaper up to grid 1500 so it looks pretty original.Hope that helps. It was not difficult at all. My biggest concern were splinter but it did not. It took me about 1 houre to do the hole thing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks marshman, good advice, I thought there might eb a few there from people replacing it with the bigger screens.

And thanks for the details MarcPoest, when I have some more workshop space, I'll give it a try. Until then, I can only really do the simple stuff, or what I can convince my dealer to do.

One thing, would it be easier to cut 2 perfectly round holes? I presume it would be easier to get those plugs that will fit then also, should they be required.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts