FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey -I’m from England and I’m renting a FJR from eagle riders for a 12 day tour of Ca. I’d like to find a cheap (ish) phone holder that would fit the handlebars to use as a sat nav. Any thoughts ? Cheers all xx

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
This is about as cheap as you're going to get...

But I'd rather go with this 2 piece setup...

·
Registered
2005 Gen 1
48 Posts
Hey -I’m from England and I’m renting a FJR from eagle riders for a 12 day tour of Ca. I’d like to find a cheap (ish) phone holder that would fit the handlebars to use as a sat nav. Any thoughts ? Cheers all xx
Things to consider are that (in general) using navigation on your phone eats through battery at an alarming rate so what will you do for charging?

Next question; will you use it again? If so, maybe you should consider something you can bring home afterwards in which case it's worth paying a bit more for.

I did mine like this: Phone mount/phone stand?!? but you could very easily use a different ball base such as the ones in Whooshka's post (also available from Amazon UK.

The heat question is also very valid and you'll find DesertBike has written about this too.

HTH

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Things to consider are that (in general) using navigation on your phone eats through battery at an alarming rate so what will you do for charging?

Next question; will you use it again? If so, maybe you should consider something you can bring home afterwards in which case it's worth paying a bit more for.

I did mine like this: Phone mount/phone stand?!? but you could very easily use a different ball base such as the ones in Whooshka's post (also available from Amazon UK.

The heat question is also very valid and you'll find DesertBike has written about this too.

HTH

fair points - I have a quality mount here fitted to my ZZR so don't really want to buy another expensive one. I have a portable charger so I'm ok on the battery front as only riding around 150 miles per day.

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300 Liquid Silver
129 Posts
These Quad Lock knock-offs are great for the price. Same quality except for the adhesive on the universal piece that sticks to the back of the phone. Toss that and buy an official Quad Lock case for your specific phone.
All of the parts are interchangeable with QL brand, but much cheaper for the bar mount. I have one of these AND Quad Lock brand mounts.
These are a steal at $12. Bicycle Motorcycle MTB Bike Handlebar Mount Holder Anti-shake for Cell Phone GPS | eBay
A phone case will set you back an additional $25, but you will have the ultimate setup.

·
Registered
2015 FJR-1300ESF
345 Posts

HTH
Hey, I'm famous!

·
Registered
2015 FJR-1300ESF
345 Posts
It depends on where you're going in CA. Desert, this time of year? Phone will probably get too hot and not charge. Coast? Probably fine.

Some phones handle heat better than others.

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300 Liquid Silver
129 Posts
Might not that overheat a bit, especially if in the southern Cali sun?
I've done it in the Mississippi and Alabama sun. Leave it unzipped and propped open. Close it if it rains.
My thought there was that many of us would want a tank bag for convenience, so why not kill two birds with one stone? Sounds like OP is not a fan of tank bags, so that idea is out the window.
¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

·
Registered
2006 FJR1300
44 Posts
Might not that overheat a bit, especially if in the southern Cali sun?
On my last hot summer day ride I stuck my iPhone into my tank bag, because I used my GPS in the mount. When I attempted to use the phone, the screen displayed a message that my phone needed to cool off before I can use it (?!?).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts