FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am battling to fathom why my 03 ABS FJR has developed a pillion bothering footpeg buzz. Seems to have worsened since 18000km service. Any ideas?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I reckon most folk would recommend having the trottle bodies synch'ed.

But other things you can maybe consider, was the rear tyre replaced at the service (slightly unbalanced?), is it a 'new' pillion not used to the buzz, new thinner summer boots perhaps? or even an old worn rear tyre.

There'll be other ideas along soon I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I would check all the nuts & bolts have been tightened up correctly just to be on the safe side, otherwise it could be the injectors need syncing as Daftlad sez.

PS: Welcome from all on the board.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
If the service was done correctly, then the rear shock absorber relay arm and pivot points should have been dismantled and lubricated with grease.

If the bolts have not been tightened correctly, then I would suspect the pillion passenger would feel the vibrations first via the rear sub-frame (maybe, possibly,could be....)

Rear brake dismantled/cleaned/lubricated but not put back correctly/tightened?.

Rear wheel taken out? put back correctly and tightened correctly?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

The pillion has been with the bike since day one, although she has had a break due to pregnancy and the responsibilities that comes with motherhood. She normally wears the same shoes.

The rear tyre was fitted at 15000km, Bridgestone 020. I am starting to lean toward sync problems, 'cos I have noticed a slight roughness through the footpegs myself. I will show these replies to the dealer and hope for some positive action.

PS: I fitted MOKO sliders recently, but I doubt that could have had an influence?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Pillion Footpegs

My pillion complained similarly. I replaced the pegs with some secondhand BMW R1100RT pegs. Problem solved. These pegs have substantially more rubber on them. The hinge angle is the same and you only have to modify the BMW peg NOT the bike so the bike can be put back to standard anytime.

All that you lose is the little "click" when the peg is put in the up position. But I left the peg moving stiffly, so it stays up without any help.

Passenger pegs from some other BMWs look similar. Check out your local Beemer dealer then contact a breaker.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that tip as well, I will try all these to solve the issue.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Try some silicon or foam rubber lined insoles for wifey's boots. cheap and easy solution before going to BMW.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Latest update for interested parties: The dealer has not found much to comment on, they compared my bike to a new demo unit and found mine to be smoother. :shock: . I have printed out the FJR Tech instructions on how to do balancing properly and will hand this info over today. Thanks again for comments from the forum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts