FJR Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a used FJR after much research. I am looking for advice on which year. Right now inventory is low on these bikes. I have found a 2005 for 4900.00 but after reading it appears that year does not have ABS as standard and no cruise. Looking to get some suggestions on which year to use as a minimum year to go with.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Cruise was standard beginning with 2013 but was limited to 82 mph. That can be increased fairly inexpensively, though. Beginning 2014 I think it's limited to around 100.

I've attached a PDF document that should be helpful if you have a way to read it. I have to enlarge it quite a lot, but it's been very useful to me. I didn't create it, but some nice person shared it with me some time back ;)

Welcome aboard and good luck with your search.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
That seems rather a lot for a 15 year old bike. If the brake rubbers have never been replaced they would need doing as well as the water hoses. My advice would be to go for the newest possible. They have got better as the models have been improved.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the PDF. I have also found a 2019 with 4k on it for 12.4k. Really interested in that one. The 05 had 18k on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The attachment won't open on my phone. Maybe need to try it on my computer later.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And the 2019 is the 1300A not ES. How much would I miss the electronic suspension and is that the only difference in A vs ES?

·
Registered
187 Posts
From my time on cycle trader, craigslist, etc, seems that the sweet spot is 2013-14.

Newer Gen3 bike, and can be had anywhere from 6500-8500, depending on mileage, condition, etc.

Gen1 and Gen2 bikes, even 15 years old, seem to still be asking no less than $3500, and often as much as $5-6k.

3 months ago I picked up my '14 1300A with just under 16k miles on it for $7k cash, private party (no tax or doc fees, etc) off of Craigslist.

If you are patient, with this being the winter months, and the economy about to go in the crapper, would think there will be more toys for sale and you can find a good deal private party, especially if you are willing to work a deal from afar, and travel to pickup the bike.

Where are you located, OP?

Reactions: Gray Squall

·
Registered
2,419 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
That 2019 sounds like a very good deal to me! I got myself a 2016ES three years ago, and love it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Right now inventory is low on these bikes.
Interesting.... since I already own an '05, I don't usually look for them for sale but the San Fran Bay Area Craigslist has almost no FJRs for sale right now... there is usually plenty to choose from!
Mr. BR

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
And the 2019 is the 1300A not ES. How much would I miss the electronic suspension and is that the only difference in A vs ES?
Yes, I believe it is the only difference. Many love the ability to change the suspension on the fly. I have a '14 ES, soft setting on the interstate, get off the interstate and about to hit some twisties, I bump her up to hard while riding. One really feels the change as it is happening. I've gotten 50k miles with no issues. Other's swear by the "A" version and preselect their suspension, or have upgrades the 3rd party suspension. It's really up to you, if your not used to changing on the fly then stick with the A version. Because the '14 was the first year for the ES version, I had purchased the Yamaha extended warranty, I never had to use it.

Reactions: passx

·
Registered
333 Posts
Interesting.... since I already own an '05, I don't usually look for them for sale but the San Fran Bay Area Craigslist has almost no FJRs for sale right now... there is usually plenty to choose from!
Mr. BR
It's the same everywhere pretty much; the pandemic has actually been good for motorcycle sales and then you have to factor in less production due to that same pandemic. Normally there are a ton of FJRs to choose from in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, but it's slim pickings here for some months now. Normally it's a great time to pick something up in January/February, but it appears that is not the case this year.

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Depending on your budget buy as late a generation as you can afford. Each generation is better than the one before. As far as ES vs A I’ve ridden both a lot and while the ES is nice it’s not something you will miss as is the 6 speed. It’s nice but the 5 speed is fine.

Since the pandemic bikes sales are through the roof, supply is low and prices are up. As with any bike popularity comes and goes and it seems the FJR is popular again right now. I’m not pimping for the shop but we have 1 or 2 Gen 3s in stock which is about the same as this time last year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm going to go look at the 2019 for 12.4k tomorrow. It has 4400 miles on it. It is the 1300A model. It is a consignment shop so they said I would not be able to test drive it though...(not liking that part).

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm in Colorado. I found several on the east coast but not much out this way right now.
I'm in Arvada, I know of 4 other FJR riders on the Front Range. Never see one on the road though. I think I have the oldest '04. Get that bike lets go ride! I tried to start a thread last year to find us. Way cool!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts