FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming back to biking after a few years and have decided the FJR is the bike for me.
I will be looking for a good used bike probably between 2001 and 2004?
Can you give some advice on the points to look out for when buying an FJR in the above age range.
Any weaknesses or common faults ? Parts that corrode? Modifications that make a big difference? Things to avoid?
Also if anyone knows of a good bike for sale, preferably with luggage in the south or south east of England then I would be pleased to hear from you.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
2001 bikes had a possible issue with the rear wheel spacer, Yam addressed this with a replacement but not on recall. Only a couple of bikes that we know of were affected.

The rear brake caliper was prone to corrosion, This was addressed with the 2003 bike with a powder-type coating instead of paint. Also, was fitted with allen key bolts which often got rounded trying to undo the caliper, also addressed with normal hex bolts. Always grease these bolts and torque less, underslung calipers get all the road crap and corrode easily.

The premature valve guide wear was addressed with 2003 bikes, however, some bikes still suffered from that. Its only an issue if you are paranoid about this.

2001/2 bikes did not come with panniers as standard.
2003 onwards had optional ABS

There are a couple of bikes on EBay right now, if that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. That's exactly the sort of information I am looking for.
Looks like I should look for a 2003 or newer.
All additional information still welcome please.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Also the 2003 model had 10%rear & 15% front springs update which would make it the best model to get (even though I don’t like the integrated indicators).

Also I think the head lights stay on? but on sure.

·
Registered
141 Posts
with a 2001 thats been through 5 winters now its quite amazing that theres not more corrosion on the bike - I've replaced some of the fastners - especially the front mudguard ones. The bike is hosed down if not washed - regularly - I used to be quite an anorak about this but these days she only gets a hosedown/jetwash twice a week in the winter and washed at the weekend.

If I recall the rear hubgear casing sometimes bubbles with corrosion but thers only been a few cases reported. Footpegs suffer with the salt but a quick polish normally sorts this out. The rear brake Lever pivot also partly seizes with the crud but again general maintenance sorts this.

Only a small point but the mirrors are prone to corroding at the edges these cost £40ish each but some owners have replaced them with faserthou replicas at £42 the pair.

There is also an occasional report of a wiring loom solder weakness in the vacinity of the regulator but this has been documented and is fairly easily repaired.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just to add to the above - paint finish is very very soft and easily scratched, my mirrors corroded, but were replaced under warranty, Fazer 1000 mirrors are a good bit wider and make an excellent replacement as mentioned earlier. Gel battery is shite and was replaced under warranty with a much better lead acid one. Digital dash steamed up on the inside and was refused under warranty because the bike was 2 days late for service in the 2nd year. IMHO Bridgestone 020's tyres suit the bike better.
Other than that it's a great bike, nice and fast, good range and consumption, comfy two up, and I would not worry too much about the luggage, we found that we got far far more inside Oxford's Sport Lifetime (not Oxford 1) soft luggage than hard luggage would ever hold.
We did 10 countries in each of the 2 years I had it, plus a mulititude of shorter trips in foreign lands...so no reliability worries.
I think it blew one headlamp bulb...no big deal. Enjoy it when you get it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have now purchased a lovely 2005 model.
A big thanks to those of you who rplied to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts